What are your thoughts on knee on the back of the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah but it's a step in the right direction and I'll take that. Gotta start somewhere. If they only did it to placate the discontented, then they don't get it . They don't understand the gravity of what is going on. People are beyond he "sacrificial goat." The protests have become much larger than that one incident.
I don't think it will die down because there are people that are willing to continue to fan the flames.

I will use the New South Wales police commission and prior police corruption because it is not a hot topic and can be discussed a bit more academically.

Royal Commission into the New South Wales Police Service - Wikipedia

But yeah had issues of police overreach and it took an action at a federal level.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I work with (not in) law enforcement. I am a big supporter of law enforcement. I'm am glad that Chauvin is facing murder charges and the other three officers are facing criminal charges as well. This is horrifying misconduct. One police chief near to me told a reporter he not only expected his officers to intervene if they ever saw something like this, but that he would expect his officers to use force on Chauvin if they told him to stop and he persisted.

Part of supporting law enforcement is supporting severe consequences for those who abuse their power to victimize the population they're sworn to protect and serve.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the american justice system is far more politicised than the uk one.
The US still has a long way to go. Keep in mind, we are still the new kid on the block in comparison to many other countries. We haven't learned many of the lessons that other countries have already learned.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The cops involved were wrong....the protestors are wrong....the looters are wrong....the rioters are wrong....the politicians using this to gain public favor is wrong.

Will just be glad when this is over.
It won't be over until it's over. So get used to it, it's part of what makes the US.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've heard, your ethnic and religious minorities, and "people of color" have plenty of grievances against "systemic racism" and unequal treatment on your side of the pond as well.
This is true. To be honest this is going to be true in any country that has any type of diversity. The bigger the diversity the more knuckle heads will try to promote it as a threat. The more diverse a country becomes, the more you'll see themes like "Us vs Them" and "the majority becoming the minority."

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But here lies the biggest problem for the offending officer, pictures are appearing on the net, of his martial arts training with promenent Chinese arts instructors, he may of lost control during the heat of the situation, but his ma background will smear the real truth of intent or mistake.
P,s im British

Don't think so. A quick google search today pulled up a LOT on Derek Chauvin's past, but nothing on his martial arts training as a youth. In fact the only place I've seen it mentioned is here on MA Talk.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's because Kung Fu is too deadly. One touch kills and all of that. But seriously, I would agree that they need some sort of training that is consistent in the same manner that it a while for people to become good in martial arts and to actually use it. Something that they could do daily would also help manage the stress that they build up from the job. It'll provide that mental release.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The US still has a long way to go. Keep in mind, we are still the new kid on the block in comparison to many other countries. We haven't learned many of the lessons that other countries have already learned.
historic swerve, but no, the USA is one of the oldest countries on earth, some countries are older by hundreds or even thousands of years, but only a very few of them

but the UK for instance is less than 100 years older, Germany Italy and quite a few more European countries are younger and most of the world wernt countries unto the 20th century

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cops involved were wrong....the protestors are wrong....the looters are wrong....the rioters are wrong....the politicians using this to gain public favor is wrong.

Will just be glad when this is over.
I'm not sure I agree that the protesters are wrong. I'm just barely informed enough on this to have an opinion, so it's tough for me to judge.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is true. To be honest this is going to be true in any country that has any type of diversity. The bigger the diversity the more knuckle heads will try to promote it as a threat. The more diverse a country becomes, the more you'll see themes like "Us vs Them" and "the majority becoming the minority."
I think I understand what you are saying. There have been and will always be opportunist that will exploit any and every advantage to their benefit. Sometimes that is not a pretty picture to some and sometimes they over-reach. Intentionally at times but not always. Also there will be people who always take every circumstance as an offense, whether the circumstance is self created or created by external forces.
We are not automatons or lemmings and that is a beautiful thing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
historic swerve, but no, the USA is one of the oldest countries on earth, some countries are older by hundreds or even thousands of years, but only a very few of them

but the UK for instance is less than 100 years older, Germany Italy and quite a few more European countries are younger and most of the world wernt countries unto the 20th century
Thank you for the correction.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I understand what you are saying. There have been and will always be opportunist that will exploit any and every advantage to their benefit. Sometimes that is not a pretty picture to some and sometimes they over-reach. Intentionally at times but not always. Also there will be people who always take every circumstance as an offense, whether the circumstance is self created or created by external forces.
We are not automatons or lemmings and that is a beautiful thing.
well it rather depends what the facts are, if people have a legitimate grievance about how they are treated by the police, then complaining/ protesting about that isnt really opportunistic

ive defended the UK police against charges of racism, by pointing out that they treat all ''poor people'' and particularly all young male poor people badly, but thats really opening a whole new line of complaints about them. the problem is the same , its just as discriminatory, just that there a wider pool of people that hate them, than the black white para dime being discussed, there is still an urgent need to be reformed

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a good idea, but ridiculously improbable given the reality. This would either mean they have to fund that kind of extensive training, or can only hire from the relatively small population of jitsers of significant skill (let's say blue belt, because purple seems a bit much).

Yeah the two questions that will stop any organization in its tracks.

Will it cost money?

Will it require effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions