What are your thoughts on knee on the back of the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't think so. A quick google search today pulled up a LOT on Derek Chauvin's past, but nothing on his martial arts training as a youth. In fact the only place I've seen it mentioned is here on MA Talk.

It maybe you have only seen it here, but it has been written elsewhere, along with his 18 other complaints against him, which include unreasonable force, including one of breaking the teeth of an already cuffed defensless man, 18 complaints in 6 years, someones turning a blind eye.
There are also reports that mr Floyd and mr Chauvin worked security together in a club, any prosecuter worth his salts, is going to use everything they can find on mr Chauvin to nail him, and rightly so, but it will probably contorted and twisted to the point, that we will never know the truth, is Mr Chauvin a racist who intended to kill mr Floyd because of his ethnicity, or was he a bully who abused his authority, either way, hes rightly going to jail, but will it be an accurated disection of the truth. Imo its important to know, is mr Chauvin an intentionaly over aggressive individual, a racist, or both, the truth is we will never really know, and in a couple of years time, we will have the same conversation about a similar event, because the truth is never learned, so neither is the lesson, so nothing is ever done about it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It maybe you have only seen it here, but it has been written elsewhere, along with his 18 other complaints against him, which include unreasonable force, including one of breaking the teeth of an already cuffed defensless man, 18 complaints in 6 years, someones turning a blind eye.
There are also reports that mr Floyd and mr Chauvin worked security together in a club, any prosecuter worth his salts, is going to use everything they can find on mr Chauvin to nail him, and rightly so, but it will probably contorted and twisted to the point, that we will never know the truth, is Mr Chauvin a racist who intended to kill mr Floyd because of his ethnicity, or was he a bully who abused his authority, either way, hes rightly going to jail, but will it be an accurated disection of the truth. Imo its important to know, is mr Chauvin an intentionaly over aggressive individual, a racist, or both, the truth is we will never really know, and in a couple of years time, we will have the same conversation about a similar event, because the truth is never learned, so neither is the lesson, so nothing is ever done about it.
theres an enormousness amount of ( probably) fake facts and pictures doing the rounds, id be very very careful of taking anything at face value.

ive seen a clearly photo shopped, among many other things, picture of him wearing a racist baseball hat

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah the two questions that will stop any organization in its tracks.

Will it cost money?

Will it require effort?
if you out number them 4 to one, im not sure training on how to damage them further is the issue that needs addressing

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
theres an enormousness amount of ( probably) fake facts and pictures doing the rounds, id be very very careful of taking anything at face value.

ive seen a clearly photo shopped, among many other things, picture of him wearing a racist baseball hat

You must be a polititian or the likes, to take what I said, and spin it, as if I mis quoted you is Piers Morganish, you must watch a lot of news channels, or read a lot of those Tuesday gossip magazines, you know the ones that make you put collogene into your lips, to make you look like a fish. You definately have a black belt in argueing someones post, then re arranging it, making the same point, and telling posters they are wrong.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you out number them 4 to one, im not sure training on how to damage them further is the issue that needs addressing

BJJ is also about how not to damage people. I mean that is fundamentally how sparring works.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The cops involved were wrong....the protestors are wrong....the looters are wrong....the rioters are wrong....the politicians using this to gain public favor is wrong.

Will just be glad when this is over.
The protesters aren’t wrong. The rest are.

By protesters, I mean actual respectful and respectable protesters. Not pieces of garbage who are rioting and looting and destroying property as a piss poor opportunistic excuse.

Then again, maybe the protesters are wrong in a sense, as there haven’t been any verdicts yet.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Then again, maybe the protesters are wrong in a sense, as there haven’t been any verdicts yet.

You don't need a verdict on particular charges against one individual to want to call attention to what you see as an overall systemic failure of justice.

....This isn't about one isolated incident.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then again, maybe the protesters are wrong in a sense, as there haven’t been any verdicts yet.
You have to separate right and wrong from the law. An action can be wrong but legal by law. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right. Then reality drives down the road and hit people, people wake up and make changes.

One of my favorite videos

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And the whole defund the police movement may very well be the most asinine thing I’ve heard. Changes in training, protocol, policies; sure. Getting rid of them? What the hell is the matter with people?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BJJ is also about how not to damage people. I mean that is fundamentally how sparring works.
BJJ training would provide a lot of options for controlling with a lower risk of damage.
but the police generally want to cause you damage, there wouldnt be a lower risk of it occurring by teaching them more effective ways of inflicting it, that makes you increasingly dependent on them showing restraint,
the uk police use what they like to call compliance techniques, that is they inflict increasing amounts of pain until they consider you to be doing what your told, or if they have taken a dislike to you, just carry on inflicting pain till you have '' learned'' your lesson

they are reasonably careful not to kill you,, but damaged is what you get

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well it rather depends what the facts are, if people have a legitimate grievance about how they are treated by the police, then complaining/ protesting about that isnt really opportunistic

ive defended the UK police against charges of racism, by pointing out that they treat all ''poor people'' and particularly all young male poor people badly, but thats really opening a whole new line of complaints about them. the problem is the same , its just as discriminatory, just that there a wider pool of people that hate them, than the black white para dime being discussed, there is still an urgent need to be reformed

Consistently, when a certain group is seen as an authority figure, police officers for example, there will always be people who do not like that group. An ingrained part of human nature which I think is influenced by our experiences, nurturing, and lifestyle. And even within these influences people will react differently. Emotional stressors create a new person. Some people may 'rise above' and some people adapt.

You are correct that the root problem is not a racial thing. This is where the desire to keep the convolution going is a big negative in resolving the 'black/white' racial issues. Too many people on both sides of the issue are determined to keep it going no matter how what.

Honestly, I have not had time to follow the Floyd story in depth. The video I saw and the fact that ALL of my LEO friends say the officers were wrong is good enough for me. I still say the problems within that particular police department run deeper than what we have saw on the surface. That in NO WAY condemns all police or police departments. People talking about defunding police budgets just truly do not have a clue and are akin to the opportunist criminals that have used 'protesting' as a shield to break the law.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Consistently, when a certain group is seen as an authority figure, police officers for example, there will always be people who do not like that group. An ingrained part of human nature which I think is influenced by our experiences, nurturing, and lifestyle. And even within these influences people will react differently. Emotional stressors create a new person. Some people may 'rise above' and some people adapt.

You are correct that the root problem is not a racial thing. This is where the desire to keep the convolution going is a big negative in resolving the 'black/white' racial issues. Too many people on both sides of the issue are determined to keep it going no matter how what.

Honestly, I have not had time to follow the Floyd story in depth. The video I saw and the fact that ALL of my LEO friends say the officers were wrong is good enough for me. I still say the problems within that particular police department run deeper than what we have saw on the surface. That in NO WAY condemns all police or police departments. People talking about defunding police budgets just truly do not have a clue and are akin to the opportunist criminals that have used 'protesting' as a shield to break the law.
i have a jaywalking ticket as a remminder of my only interact with the US police, so im short of personal context

The UK police however are mildly surprised at how unpopular they are, blaming any one who think they are not perfect as being a career criminal or having political leaning.

rather than the fact that decades of bad behaviour have left a resentment in the population or at least a fairly big chunk of it

i had conversation on a police forum where they couldn't understand why the public doesn't come to the assistance of police in a spot of bother, choosing instead to shout support for the criminal

my very first interaction with the police was aged 7, when a policeman wrapped me across the face with a heavy leather glove, for asking him what time it was. he thought i was being cheeky apparently

now if i ever see a vid of a crowd cheering on a mob i just assume they had a similar experience ,

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The protesters aren’t wrong. The rest are.

By protesters, I mean actual respectful and respectable protesters. Not pieces of garbage who are rioting and looting and destroying property as a piss poor opportunistic excuse.

I'm not referring to the verdict or the act of protesting peacefully when I say the protesters are wrong.

I'm referring to the blanket accusations that police are racists, thugs, and corrupt. Rhetoric that leads to radicals to riot and loot.

Calls to defund police yet they want better officers with better training.....how does that work?

Then add in the using of Floyd's death for personal gain.

There is a whole lot of wrong going on....on both sides. And nothing is going to change until things settle down and people start thinking rational.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to separate right and wrong from the law. An action can be wrong but legal by law. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right. Then reality drives down the road and hit people, people wake up and make changes.

One of my favorite videos
Great post. I have no background on the video however, I am not convinced that it was not staged. I would stand up if presented with that question and I think a lot of other people would as well.
For me personally, I treat everyone the same. It is not that I do not see color; it is that I do not care about color. That whole idea is rather foolish to me. It is more about how they treat me than anything else. I give another person the same courtesies that they afford me. When I feel led to I go beyond that.
I have what I hope are the same base expectations that every other person has; that everyone is good until they prove otherwise.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And the whole defund the police movement may very well be the most asinine thing I’ve heard. Changes in training, protocol, policies; sure. Getting rid of them? What the hell is the matter with people?
That's because people are thinking more about punishment and about not throwing more logs on the fire, than they are about a more permanent fix. The defunding issue is a knee jerk response at the moment. I haven't made up my mind if it's a good thing or not. If you want to ensure accountability then you have to have a variety of things that will make people less willing to tolerate police brutality on the force, one of the ways to do that is to affect the funding that police have. If you don't want your funding cut then you better make sure the officers are doing the right things and making sure that the bad cops are being removed.

It makes sense in general. People pay taxes so that police can protect citizens and not unjustly kill citizens. As a black person why would I want to pay for a system that is most likely to abuse me. Why would anyone want to contribute to that? In theory it would make law enforcement less likely to hire or keep anyone that will put that funding in jeopardy and make it difficult for everyone else. It's a hard measure in in theory it should work, because it works in industries. I just don't know how well this same measure will work in law enforcement.

I would be curious to see which funds are being affected when they are say defund the police.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Screw it. Defund them....disband them....whatever.....good luck.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a whole lot of wrong going on....on both sides. And nothing is going to change until things settle down and people start thinking rational.
Things were "settle down" before George Floyd died. People were "thinking rational" before George Floyd died. Black people were still being choked out and dying by the brutal police tactics. AND NOTHING CHANGED. That's why we have the Protests that have gotten bigger and has become a Global issues. Things are changing right before your eyes, but I don't think you like it. Just an observation.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great post. I have no background on the video however, I am not convinced that it was not staged. I would stand up if presented with that question and I think a lot of other people would as well.
Based on the protests that we are seeing globally, I would have to say that the video is right in line with "no one wants to be treated like that".

So since you want to be presented with the question. I will present that question to you now. Why would you want to be treated like Black Americans are treated in society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions