What are you voting for?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I must admit though I don't understand how you give so much power to one man? Do you ever consider another system of government? (not a criticism, just curious!)

Tez3, in practice, the one man, is supposed to be counter-balanced with five hundred thirty five elected representatives, and nine supreme court justices.

Since 1994, when Newt Gingrich created the 'Plan for America', the Republican Party has been on a mission to become the permanent power base in the country. As Orwell would have said, "Power for Power's sake". Although Mr. Gingrich was run out of town, his protege', Tom Delay had perfected the ideas of Gingrich.

The Legislative Branch of government has become extremely disfunctional. Rather than functioning as representatives for their constituents, they have been forced to function as representatives for the party. The Republican Party would abandon House and Senate Rules for the expediency of the Party. And once total control was established in Congress, the Party bowed subserviently toward the White House.

Those on this board who disagree with my political point of view, would tell you I am exaggerating, and unrealistic. As evidence, I submit President Bush's veto record. In six years, he has vetoed exactly one bill. This is indicative of a Congress that is unable to think for itself.

Hopefully, it is a self correcting process. The founders designed it that way. On November 7th, we may find that the Congress 'grows a set'.

It is a slow self-correcting process. But, if the voting machines aren't rigged ... we should do OK.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, Mr. Gingrich's plan must have left with Mr. Gingrich, because the Republicans haven't followed conservative ideals for years.

I agree the process is self-correcting. It made a correction in 1994, and I have a feeling it will make another correction starting this year and it will be complete in about two years when the process will again repeat.

It's time for a change.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bavarian or Alhambran? Come on, man! These things matter! ;)

Alhambran??? Cory, are you telling me there's another bloody gang of Illuminati in the picture? It's not just the damned Bavarians??

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the problem here of 'first past the post' elections. In each constituency we have a choice of candidates to vote for, usually one from each party plus some independents. The one getting the most votes is elected as Member of Parliament, the party with most MPs gets to be the government. Sounds reasonable until you think about all the people who didn't vote for the winning MPs, add all their votes up and you will find that actually the majority of the country didn't vote for Tony Blair or the Labour party! We regularly campaign for proportional representation but neither this government nor any other will change the status quo, it's not in their interest. A lot of people have given up voting as they see their vote as being wasted. Where I live the MP has been around forever yet he may have got 3000 votes to get him in but collectively his opponents would have got 15,000 votes so that's a lot of people without their choice of MP. I live in a rural area btw, more sheep than people!
We do watch American politics with interest over here ( if less understanding!) I'm afraid to say Bush is not generally liked and is often seen as a figure of fun though dangerous ie Iraq, Afghanistan. The majority of Brits don't like Blair's pandering to him. The trouble however in voting the Labour party out is that we may end up replacing it with something similiar or worse. Are we alone in thinking that we no longer have the statesmen and public minded politicians we used to, the ones who went into politics wanting to actually make things better for people?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think anyone who subjects himself, or herself, to a political campaign, is attempting to something for someone else. I bet most of them want to make things better for the rest of the people.

But, it is an insulating environment. Former Congressman and current Television Pundit Joe Scarborough recently told the story, that while he was in Congress, he wasn't even aware that he stop driving his car. He had staff to pick him up and drive him everywhere. Within that environment, it is very easy to lose touch, I think, with ones original objectives.

As for President Bush, remember more people voted for John Kerry in 2004 than had voted for any United States President before that election. And our turnout wasn't great either. So President Bush was not elected by even a majority of Americans, either.

As for Mr. Blair, I think he made the decision early on to back the American Government (especially after 911). He has stuck to his position on that. That decision has had a cost for him now, hasn't it?

I'm sad to say, that I think many foreigners have a better understanding of American politics than we will every have of their politics. Thank you for your interest.

And, to put this post on topic.

I am voting against incumbancy. Our Congress has been a 'Rubber Stamp' for President Bush's whims. As a co-equal branch of government, I demand better of them.

My congressman has stood by President Bush, far too closely, for far too long. Only once has Congress passed a bill that the President Bush felt he had to veto. That is not enough independent thinking, in my opinion.

My state does not have a senator in the current class.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for President Bush, remember more people voted for John Kerry in 2004 than had voted for any United States President before that election. And our turnout wasn't great either. So President Bush was not elected by even a majority of Americans, either.

I don't see the logic. Bush had about three million more votes than Kerry in that election.

Source.

Maybe you mean that most people do not go to the polls anymore. But if the Democrats win in the next election with similar turn outs, I don't expect you to say that their victiory is flawed because of it. Non-presedential elections do not get the same turn out.

Bush won both elections. He is not up for election this time around.

I am voting for the candidate that will leave me alone the most. Pretty much any guy who backs the second amendment seems to also vote to keep the goverment away from my private life.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am voting for the candidate that will leave me alone the most. Pretty much any guy who backs the second amendment seems to also vote to keep the goverment away from my private life.

Do you find that your society is turning into a "nanny" state too? You can't do this or that because we don't think it's safe/good for you, you can't watch this, can't read that. They've even stopped children making paper aeroplanes as it's unsafe, we have councils chopping trees down in case chestnuts drop on peoples heads. They want us to have ID cards with all our info on them now. the government and councils are poking their noses into just about everything in our lives. Do you know we even have microchips in our dustbins so they can tell how much we throw away and we can be fined if we leave the dustbins out on the street too long after the rubbish has been collected? they will also fine you if the bin is out on the wrong day (they only collect rubbish every fortnight now) This way madness lies!
I think we are interested in American politics because so much these days of what is decided by your government affects the rest of us!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you find that your society is turning into a "nanny" state too? You can't do this or that because we don't think it's safe/good for you, you can't watch this, can't read that.

Yeah. That is a peeve of mine. Those that can't tell me what I can do even if I am an adult and know all the risks. And those that tell me what I have to do or pay for in the name of compassion....that theyget to determine.

I prefer honest greed to those that slip their fingers into my wallet and my life while trying to convince me it is all for my own good.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should start another thread on the most annoying/ridiculous things that we have been told to 'obey'!