BuSh Policies Not Christian

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"It is the responsibility of every political conservative, every evangelical Christian, every pro-life Catholic, every traditional Jew...to get serious about re-electing President Bush."
- Jerry Falwell, The New York Times, July 16, 2004

"I think George Bush is going to win in a walk. I really believe I'm hearing from the Lord it's going to be like a blowout election in 2004. The Lord has just blessed him.... It doesn't make any difference what he does, good or bad."
- Pat Robertson, AP/Fox News, January 2, 2004

These leaders of the Religious Right mistakenly claim that God tooka side in the 2004 election, and that Christians should only have voted for George W. Bush.

You’ve gotta admit that claims of divine appointment for the President, uncritical affirmation of his policies, and assertions that all Christians must vote for his re-election constitute bad theology and dangerous politics.Bush’s policies do not enhance human life, human dignity, and human rights; they do nothing to strengthen family life and protect children; they do not promote racial reconciliation or support gender equality, and they do not advance the common good rather than only individual, national, and special interests.

They are not Christian, in other words.

There is not one Bush policy or ideology that cannot be found to be contrary to basic Christian tenets and scripture:

Bush’s budget and tax policies reward the rich;they do not show compassion for poor families. (Matthew 25:35-40, Isaiah 10:1-2)

Bush’s policies do not protect the earth;they serve corporate interests that damage it. (Genesis 2:15, Psalm 24:1)

Bush’s policies pursue "wars of choice" , and do not respect international law and cooperation in responding to real global threats. (Matthew 5:9)

Bush may well not have told the truth in justifying war and in other foreign and domestic policies. (John 8:32)

Bush confuses the roles of God, church, and nation and sees evil only in our enemies but never in our own policies. (Matthew 6:33, Proverbs 8:12-13 )

His positions on capital punishment, euthanasia, weapons of mass destruction, HIV/AIDS-and other pandemics-and genocide around the world do not obey the biblical injunction to choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you on most of what you said. Unless America sees another revival she will only get worst and her presidents with her. A Muslim, what next? That is why that the true Christians out there need to pick up their feet!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
These leaders of the Religious Right mistakenly claim that God tooka side in the 2004 election, and that Christians should only have voted for George W. Bush.

You’ve gotta admit that claims of divine appointment for the President, uncritical affirmation of his policies, and assertions that all Christians must vote for his re-election constitute bad theology and dangerous politics.Bush’s policies do not enhance human life, human dignity, and human rights; they do nothing to strengthen family life and protect children; they do not promote racial reconciliation or support gender equality, and they do not advance the common good rather than only individual, national, and special interests.

They are not Christian, in other words.

There is not one Bush policy or ideology that cannot be found to be contrary to basic Christian tenets and scripture:

Bush’s budget and tax policies reward the rich;they do not show compassion for poor families. (Matthew 25:35-40, Isaiah 10:1-2)
Lowering the taxes on everyone shows compassion for everyone
Bush’s policies do not protect the earth;they serve corporate interests that damage it. (Genesis 2:15, Psalm 24:1)

Bush’s policies pursue "wars of choice" , and do not respect international law and cooperation in responding to real global threats. (Matthew 5:9)
Gee, nothing in quoted scripture about international law, nor
"wars of choice" etc but, that really isn't surprising, given your track record
Bush may well not have told the truth in justifying war and in other foreign and domestic policies. (John 8:32)
That you and others do not believe there are people out there who want to kill us, does not make the people that want to kill us go away.
Bush confuses the roles of God, church, and nation and sees evil only in our enemies but never in our own policies. (Matthew 6:33, Proverbs 8:12-13 )
Proverbs 8:13
To fear the LORD is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech
Hating evil. CHECK!
Hating pride and arrogance? The pride and arrogance exhibited by the self-annointed intelligentsia? CHECK!
Hating Evil behavior (Like suicide bombings, feeding people into chippers, rape rooms, etc?) CHECK! Actually doing something, aside from stern letters from the UN, CHECK!
His positions on capital punishment
Exodus 21:12
Anyone who strikes a man and kills him shall surely be put to death
, euthanasia, weapons of mass destruction, HIV/AIDS-and other pandemics-and genocide around the world do not obey the biblical injunction to choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)
Gee, perhaps if you quoted 30:15-20:
15 “See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, 16 in that I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His judgments, that you may live and multiply; and the LORD your God will bless you in the land which you go to possess. 17 But if your heart turns away so that you do not hear, and are drawn away, and worship other gods and serve them, 18 I announce to you today that you shall surely perish; you shall not prolong your days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to go in and possess. 19 I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; 20 that you may love the LORD your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.”
Gee, you belittle the man for believing in God, then quote a passage which, in context, gives the choice of belief and life or disbelief and death, irony, thy name is elder

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Lowering the taxes on everyone shows compassion for everyone

The Bush administration and Congress have scaled back programs that aid the poor to help pay for $600 billion in tax breaks that went primarily to those who earn more than $288,800 a year.

To offset the loss of the tax revenue, the administration has amassed record federal deficits and trimmed social spending.The affected programs — job training, housing, higher education and an array of social services — provide safety nets for the poor. Many programs are critical elements in welfare-to-work initiatives and were already badly underfunded.

A six-month Detroit News investigation showed that as a result of the withering government assistance, working poor and destitute Americans are increasingly likely to be placed on waiting lists for help, receive reduced services, or be denied service entirely.

The News, after interviewing scores of people across the United States and examining thousands of pages of federal and state financial records, determined the loss of services cost many poor Americans more money than they saved from the tax cuts.

I'll point out here that the wife and I are somewhat in the upper end of the tax-cuts. Ours went right back into charitable organizations. I'll also point out that the BuSh tax cuts have been a huge windfall for corporations, like the $20-some odd billion dollars in tax revenue that the oil corporations have recouped from the BuSh tax-cuts.

I guess they plowed all of theirs right back into renewable energy research. :rolleyes:snark!

I'll get to the rest of your....er....Bountiful Stuff when I have the time-it's worth answering in depth.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Gee, nothing in quoted scripture about international law, nor
"wars of choice" etc but, that really isn't surprising, given your track record

makarioi oi eirenopoioi, hoti autoi huioi theou klethesontai Matthew 5:9,Koine Greektranslation to follow

Blessed (enjoying enviable happiness, spiritually prosperous—with life-joy and satisfaction in God’s favor and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions) are themakers and maintainers of peace, for they shall be called the sons of God! Matthew 5:9, literal translation of the koine Greek

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of GodMatthew 5:9, King James Version

Anyway you look at it, BuSh can hardly be called a peacemaker. His war policies-the arrogant, preemptive use of force in Iraq, for weapons of mass destruction that were not there, and freedom for the Iraqi people that their populace can scarcely understand, let alone attain, to enforce democracy, when democracy is something that has always risen from the people, and never been forced upon them-all of these things are not of the “makers and maintainers of peace.”

And before you start in with “but, the surge is working,” I’m gonna point out that it’s hardly relevant to the question at hand and ask-are their (the Iraqi people) lights working, is there water running, is the oil flowing, are they working? Is their life substantively improved on any quantifiable scale whatsoever, other than that they’ve traded the evil despotism of Saddam Hussein for the benign and loving hand of the U.S. State Department and Blackwater,Intl.???

Latest Discussions