What are the reasons for time-in-grade?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For one thing, the quality of the training during those early years starting at age three, is definitely not the same as the quality of training at age...thirteen, for example. So simply adding up the hours as you are doing, comes with a bunch of qualifiers. At age three, it’s just gross motor skills disguised as games in a desperate attempt to maintain interest. There isn’t much understanding going on there. At age thirteen, there is some learning and some understanding going on; the quality of the time spent is much higher.

The hyperbole doesn’t help. It takes an extreme example with a very very (very very very) low likelihood and tries to present it as reasonable. It isn’t.

First off, some of those videos I was referring to, the kids have a concrete understanding of how the techniques work. Maybe not at 3, but at 4 and 5. These aren't normal kids (which is why these videos go viral).

Second, what do you have to say regarding my less hyberbolic example? How much should someone train for how many years to get 8th dan? If someone trains twice as much for half as long, why shouldn't they get 8th dan?

Not the same thing, if the quality of the martial training has any meaning at all.

You don't think sparring on a trampoline takes any energy? This was in response to the claim that you wouldn't have the energy to train. When you're 50 pounds and have the metabolism of a hummingbird you have energy for days.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was a kid, me and my best friend would spend hours on a trampoline, sparring, pretty much half the year. This was with school and with a lot of the other stuff we would do.
My son is in kindergarten, age five, he starts at 10:30 and ends at 2:30. If he came home and began training at 3:00, then he needs to train until 1:00 am without stop, to get in ten hours. And then be able to get up the next morning and go to school and train again after...and again and again...for years...and years...and he gets older and school demands more time, which means he trains later and later and gets up earlier and earlier until he simply does not sleep.

When does he sleep? When does he become a human being, and not a mindless training robot? If I did that to him, likely I would get a visit from social services.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First off, some of those videos I was referring to, the kids have a concrete understanding of how the techniques work. Maybe not at 3, but at 4 and 5. These aren't normal kids (which is why these videos go viral).

Second, what do you have to say regarding my less hyberbolic example? How much should someone train for how many years to get 8th dan? If someone trains twice as much for half as long, why shouldn't they get 8th dan?

You don't think sparring on a trampoline takes any energy? This was in response to the claim that you wouldn't have the energy to train. When you're 50 pounds and have the metabolism of a hummingbird you have energy for days.
What do I think of your other example? I don’t know, honestly. I’ll say it again, I’m glad to not be in a system that uses these ranks. They are nothing but a problem, in my opinion.

Regarding your trampolining, see my other response. There is a simple issue of number of hours in the day...

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My son is in kindergarten, age five, he starts at 10:30 and ends at 2:30. If he came home and began training at 3:00, then he needs to train until 1:00 am without stop, to get in ten hours. And then be able to get up the next morning and go to school and train again after...and again and again...for years...and years...and he gets older and school demands more time, which means he trains later and later and gets up earlier and earlier until he simply does not sleep.

When does he sleep? When does he become a human being, and not a mindless training robot? If I did that to him, likely I would get a visit from social services.

I normally sleep about 5 hours a night. My body doesn't need more than that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I normally sleep about 5 hours a night. My body doesn't need more than that.
You are the anomaly, by a long shot. And dangerously and criminally reckless if imposed on a youth. Again, putting a young child through that would justifiably be called child abuse. I would lose my son into the foster care program as I went to prison.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are the anomaly, by a long shot. And dangerously and criminally reckless if imposed on a youth. Again, putting a young child through that would justifiably be called child abuse. I would lose my son into the foster care program as I went to prison.

I'm pretty sure anomalies are the topic here.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread....

CrazyThread.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure anomalies are the topic here.
Not how I read it. We are talking about reasons for time-in-grade requirements. Do anomalies have a place in that conversation? Well sure.

But anomalies do not create the reason to have or not have TIG requirements.

This isn’t an all-or-nothing scenario. A good program, depending on how it is implemented, could include reasonable TIG requirements, and still make room for the (rare) truly exceptional individual (everyone wants to believe they are the exception, but they are not). This means that an instructor needs to have the freedom to use his good judgement to make an exception where appropriate. Perhaps that decision is made in consultation with others. Perhaps that decision is not made alone. But if there is a corporate organization who makes the rules, then it depends on what freedoms it gives the instructors. They may not allow it.

I don’t like big organizations either, but that’s me.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not how I read it. We are talking about reasons for time-in-grade requirements. Do anomalies have a place in that conversation? Well sure.

You're confusing the OP with the rabbit trail.

Latest Discussions