What are some motivation, inspiration or life lesson speeches you discuss in your class as an instructor?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cutting into a body that has been prepared for students is not at all the same to cutting into a fresh cadaver.
Yes, the formaldehyde makes the muscles stiffer, but I removed the muscle and chiselled the discs and it was still very difficult to break the neck. It’s formaldehyde acting on flesh and muscle, not Adamantium!

And even less similar to one that is alive. And comparing the force needed for a vertebral fracture (an immensely strong bone) and cord dissection to a fracture of the hyoid (one of the weakest bones in the human body) is more than a little disingenuous.
The vertebrae are seldom broken in a judicial hanging (with a 5 foot drop) , the spinal cord is usually snapped.
Regardless, I never said it was lethal, I said it was potentially lethal, and that remains true, no matter how much you want to quibble. And it's certainly more dangerous than changing the technique slightly to use it as an unbalancing technique.
Eating too many peas is potentially lethal.😂

I think MAs underestimate how difficult it is to kill a sober, uncooperative, fully-resisting, aggressive opponent without a weapon. Very few people are killed in the boxing ring or the cage. Unarmed, Eastern combat arts like to suggest they’re art is ‘spookily‘ dangerous when they’re are no more so than boxing or wrestling etc

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think MAs underestimate how difficult it is to kill a sober, uncooperative, fully-resisting, aggressive opponent without a weapon. Very few people are killed in the boxing ring or the cage. Unarmed, Eastern combat arts like to suggest they’re art is ‘spookily‘ dangerous when they’re are no more so than boxing or wrestling etc
You are applying rules to a no rules environment. This is the defining difference to the whole argument.
Google/Youtube 'martial arts injuries'. You will see some nasty training injuries.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the formaldehyde makes the muscles stiffer, but I removed the muscle and chiselled the discs and it was still very difficult to break the neck. It’s formaldehyde acting on flesh and muscle, not Adamantium!
Which still has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a fracture of the oh-so-fragile hyoid.
The vertebrae are seldom broken in a judicial hanging (with a 5 foot drop) , the spinal cord is usually snapped.
The neck is "broken", in common parlance, because the vertebrae (usually C2 on C3) are subluxed. In this case, the difference between subluxation and fracture is purely academic and, for pretty much everybody here, irrelevant. Especially since it has nothing to do with what I described.
Eating too many peas is potentially lethal.😂
Only if you boil everything.
I think MAs underestimate how difficult it is to kill a sober, uncooperative, fully-resisting, aggressive opponent without a weapon. Very few people are killed in the boxing ring or the cage.
As with your arguments above, this is completely irrelevant. The specific technique at issue (an arc hand to the throat) is illegal in sports, not to mention completely impossible when wearing boxing gloves.
Unarmed, Eastern combat arts like to suggest they’re art is ‘spookily‘ dangerous when they’re are no more so than boxing or wrestling etc
So you'd be ok with me delivering a full force strike to your throat?

One of the things Forensic scientists love to do is beat the living crap out of cadavers (see what I did there?). Fracturing the hyoid bone takes a touch over 3kg of pressure. Most adults can easily provide that much pressure with a squeeze of one hand. The typical male can deliver a strike with 150kg or more of force. A trained fighter can deliver considerably more.

The impact required to fracture the cervical vertebrae you insist on referencing is upwards of 300kg.

Hyoid fractures are rare. With a mortality rate of 75%-80%, this is a good thing. They are not rare because they're difficult to cause. They're rare because people don't strike the throat very often. I've treated these injuries. They tend to lead to airway collapse in very short order, and it is a real ***** to intubate someone with this injury. It's mostly better to just do a quick cricothyrotomy. And they're almost certainly going to end up with a tracheostomy.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I teach the essentials; how to change your oil, how to change a tire, how to shut off your water/gas main, how to use photoshop, how to extend your cars warranty, how to remember to drink water, how to wake up every morning and ignore the urge to just say screw it and stay in bed all day. Ya know, the basics.