What are Reputation Points and how do you get them?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's really simple. In order to get reputation points, click on the scale in the top right corner of all of my posts and leave me a short note.

Should they select the Disapprove button when leaving you a message? ;)

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm still a little confused on how it works so could someone leave me a positive rep namely Bob H, Rich, Stick or someone of equal status.
It's for the benefit of all humanity and a poor College student, if I don't get that positive rep I may be out of food and lodging and maybe worst of all tuition...

So please find it in your heart Mr. Bob H. to leave me a pos rep.
And a few dollars or a sandwich. (remember the approve button, not the disapprove)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm still a little confused on how it works so could someone leave me a positive rep namely Bob H, Rich, Stick or someone of equal status.
It's for the benefit of all humanity and a poor College student, if I don't get that positive rep I may be out of food and lodging and maybe worst of all tuition...

So please find it in your heart Mr. Bob H. to leave me a pos rep.
And a few dollars or a sandwich. (remember the approve button, not the disapprove)
Here's an idea... Send Bob a few bucks by becoming a Supporting Member and I'll promise to rep you the first time I notice that the Supporting Member banner is on your posts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL!!! That's how you get em. Sneaky! :D
Bob. I was simply answering the OP's original question: "What are Reputation Points and how do you [meaning me] get them?" My bad! :D

Being a little more serious, it was months before I even knew that reputation points existed and found that people had been leaving me comments. I was mostly a little embarrassed that I hadn't been leaving positive rep for many terrific posts.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's really simple. In order to get reputation points, click on the scale in the top right corner of all of my posts and leave me a short note.

I tried that Steve. I hope I did it correctly. I clicked on the scale and then clicked 'I disapprove'.
icon7.gif

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob. I was simply answering the OP's original question: "What are Reputation Points and how do you [meaning me] get them?" My bad! :D

Being a little more serious, it was months before I even knew that reputation points existed and found that people had been leaving me comments. I was mostly a little embarrassed that I hadn't been leaving positive rep for many terrific posts.
Speaking as a mentor you don't HAVE to leave anything for positive or in your opinion outstanding posts... that is all up to you... same with neg repping someone... YOU decide if it's worthy enough to ding them or ping them.
They are there basically to show beyond "great post!" that your peers approve or disapprove of what you're saying.
If you think you made a pretty durn good post then well that's your opinion and you're entitled. I've posted quite a bit most of it not worth a rep point but others well.. okay... but I don't get 'em... guess it wasn't as great as I thought... more often than not I get repped for stuff I thought was mediocre.
Speaking for myself and hoping maybe it'll help give you at least an idea... I rep folks when I find myself nodding vigorously at what they're saying... or if it really made my day or totally ticked me off or what I felt were below MT's standards of conduct on this forum.

Life goes a lot better here on MT if you don't worry about getting any and you don't sweat about NOT giving any. There is no obligation... and if I'm not mistaken... you can have that feature switched off on your CP.

Hope that helps.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok not to necro a thread here but with the "new" new format, just a quick question on reps. My notifications said I had one new rep so I checked it and it doesn't say who from or what not but it's a grey dot? I know Green = Good and Red = Bad but what is Grey?? :|

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As I understand it, it simply means that whoever left you reputation didn't have enough reputation to affect your rep score one way or the other. Gray = neutral.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
This -may- change at some time....haven't really played with it much yet. :)

====
User Absolutely Totally Hopeless -1,000,000
User Totally Hopeless -99,999
User is definately Hopeless. -500
User is starting to seem Hopeless. -300
User is most definately Lame! -200
User is bordering on Lame -100
User can only hope to improve -50

User has a little shameless behaviour in the past -10
User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
User is on a distinguished road 10
User will become famous soon enough 50
User has a spectacular aura about 150
User is a jewel in the rough 250
User is just really nice 350
User is a glorious beacon of li450ght
User is a name known to all 550
User is a splendid one to behold 650
User has much to be proud of 1000
User has a brilliant future 1500
User has a reputation beyond repute 2000

italicized indicates new revisions since original posting.

Now this is what I was looking for, although I'm still not sure what exact PURPOSE the rep system serves. Belts means you posted a lot. Does rep relate to the QUALITY of those posts?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Now this is what I was looking for, although I'm still not sure what exact PURPOSE the rep system serves. Belts means you posted a lot. Does rep relate to the QUALITY of those posts?
It's somewhat arbitrary, but yes. In general, the more "rep" you have, the more recognized you have been for writing quality, well thought out posts. It's very subjective, and I don't think it should be considered more than a "feel good" kind of thing. It really has little bearing on the worth or value of a poster or a particular post. For me, it's just a way to say, "Hey. That post was terrific!" Or, "Hey, that was completely inappropriate."

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That is the idea, yes. It's like the thanks button, sort of. Thanks for a good post. Rep for an excellent post.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is the idea, yes. It's like the thanks button, sort of. Thanks for a good post. Rep for an excellent post.

Excellent. I never quite understood that. And now I see you have so much in the way of rep points that you have surpassed the big green boxes with the white plus signs, and are now on to YELLOW. How far up does rep go anyway?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The pop-up when you mouse over a members rep doesn't change after "Beyond Repute" at 2000. But there's no limit to how much rep you can get.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What has worked for me was to partner up with other members and we constantly positive rep each other regardless of the quality of the post. I just need to bring more members into this system ;)

Latest Discussions