Founding Member
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Gary,
I just reviewed your rep. . . .

totals
40 hits 1/1-11/28
15 negative, 25 positive/neutral
14 hits from staff - 9 negative, 5 positive.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but doesn't this support his idea that negative points tend to come from the staff? Yes, you're getting both positive and negative points from both staff and users. But within the staff's hits, more than half are negative, and within the total hits, more than half of the negative hits came from the staff. *shrug* I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just saying what I see in these numbers.

However, like I said before, this is such a variable system, that I do think it's a bit hard to derive real, hard facts from the results. Not everyone will give points or in the same way (apparently the system here's a bit more complex than I've seen elsewhere) so different people will have different samples resulting in different stats. FWIW, at the moment I've got 8 reputation hits, none with names, and only one with a comment. So I don't know who has given me points or, in all but one case, why. Not that it matters to me, I'm just giving it as another example case.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since this thread is still active somewhat, here are 2 things that I think, and I have said them before:

#1. Some of you need to understand that there are reasons it is unwise to force people to sign their names when they give rep.; it starts a "rep. war" and anamosity among members when negatives are given out, which contradicts the "friendly environment" we try to maintain here.

#2. Rep. points can be seen as positive/negative reward,,,behavioral psych. at work here. When you say something good...you get positives. Something bad...you get negatives. Staff tend to give out more negatives because they have to deal with the negative behavior to keep the board running well, so they are going to see more negative behavior and give more negatives when someone is doing something negative or wrong. I have gotten many positives and negatives in the past depending on my behavior...and my positives have outweighed the negatives.

Now...like any system, this could be abused. If the abuse is excessive, then staff may be able to help you. All in all, though, the system has seemed to work pretty well so far, by my perception. However, if you don't like the positive/negative reward system, you always have the option to donate a few $$ to this wonderful board to become a premium member. As a premium member, you can disable your reputation point.

So, the solutions are simple as I see it...

Paul

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me or is this whole red / green colour combo feature I keep seeing on my ucp feeling all christmassy?? :rolleyes: @at getting serious about it anyway. Can' t please all the ppl all the time I guess.

BL

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Seig said:
Keep in mind, many times staff will use the rep system as a nudge to either encourage you or try to push you back on to the right path without having to make it official.
and sometimes people will just abuse it because they can.

excuse me while I just go shoot myself in the foot some more

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, people abuse it.

But as we don't sit around surfing the rep system, unless someone contacts us to indicate a possible or obvious abuse, we don't know about it, and it remains unresolved.

We can't fix what we don't know is broken......so,

If there is a problem, let Seig and I know and we will investigate it.
PM and/or EMAIL or use the Report to Mod feature and indicate an issue with your replisting.

Posting it in a thread than neither of us may read will do you no good. We both actually read very little outside of the administration sections and the areas that interest us, unless there is a problem.

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Then again , unfortunately for the "real" input you could otherwise benifit from ( regardless of the nature of comment) , you could just acknowledge that abuse is a factor of such a system and take it with a grain of salt. Can't please all of the ppl all of the time. Criminys, If I listened and took heed to every negative thing said about me, I'd never get my head up, let alone have enough esteem left to study some or train like I have a reason to do so. I have been trolled by the worst and meanest and constructive input is one thing, attempted railroading abuse and immature judgement a whole other thing altogether. I appreciate a "good" bit of feedback at the worst of times, but when you're just looking for a band wagon to jump on or ride in on, I just don't have time.

Blooming Lotus

Latest Discussions