What are Reputation Points and how do you get them?

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not on staff anymore, but I believe the answer is still no. It only keeps track of the value at the time given. So if I gave you one early on then later gained in pots and my own reputation the value I gave you then woudl be the same and not constantly changing. If I gave you a new one it would be at the new value.

Does that help?
Sure does. Thanks.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ROFL.:rofl:

I just discovered this.:p

I also discovered how to put smiles inside the post.
icon10.gif

Cheers.
icon12.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

icon10.gif

Cheers.
icon12.gif

It took me awhile to figure out how to do all that too.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

icon10.gif

Cheers.
icon12.gif
Know the feeling. I'm still discovering stuff on the site, which I should have known about long ago. :uhyeah:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

icon10.gif

Cheers.
icon12.gif

I always forget to use the whole quote thing....sorry about that.

I figure I'll wait till I hit 1,000 POSTS to start trying to do anything CRAZY like putting smiles into my posts!

This is joking....but I really just figured it out a few days ago.....

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand, and I see it regularly... a new member posts a question as their first post. Could be anything - where to find a school in a particular art in a particular town, a style-specific technical question, an historical question, anything - and they get rep points.

Why would somebody get rep points for asking a simple question in their first post?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would somebody get rep points for asking a simple question in their first post?

Say the new member studies that same discipline as someone else already here and that person decides to award them a rep point.Say its someone from their school or someone they have met and trained with.....I've given rep points for something as simple as some posting a great joke..I've seen points given for someone asking an intelligent question..It's strickly up to the individual...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, there are set rules for assigning rep points. It's not a system to be used just to prop your buddies, or as a substitute for private messaging, nor is it something to be used to continually slam a member or set of members.

As far as why a person would rep someone on their first post, depends entirely on the individual.

Personally, I've repped someone for "asking a simple question" because the question may have looked simple...but it was still a good question to ask.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Questions are often, maybe even typically, the triggers for an outstanding discussion. And bear in mind, a new member is often going to be a bit intimidated either in commenting (who am I to be chiming in along with these people with thousands of posts each?) or questioning (won't people laugh at me or get impatient for asking something that's probably so obvious/well-known/trivial/etc?) So repping a new member's useful question is a way (and a powerful one, I believe) to encourage them: yes, that's exactly what we're hoping for from you on MT, keep up the good work, etc. Actually, in some ways it's the most effective use of the rep system, I think.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, I'm feeling left out now ... how come nobody repped me for saying hello and making a statement. Nobody likes me, nobody cares. :angel:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I'm feeling left out now ... how come nobody repped me for saying hello and making a statement. Nobody likes me, nobody cares. :angel:

Nobody loves me , everybody hate me, I'm gonna eat some worms..

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sorry... the rules explicitly say somewhere that after a couple of thousand posts and well on your way towards a third gold star, you're not allowed to raise questions about why you didn't get repped for you first few posts! :lol:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nobody loves me , everybody hate me, I'm gonna eat some worms..
Hey, Drac, my favorite song! But I learned it as:

Everybody hates me,
Nobody loves me,
Guess I'll go eat worms.

At least, that's how I've been singing it the last 50 years. :lol:

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry... the rules explicitly say somewhere that after a couple of thousand posts and well on your way towards a third gold star, you're not allowed to raise questions about why you didn't get repped for you first few posts! :lol:

LOL ... damn ... busted

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, Drac, my favorite song! But I learned it as:

Everybody hates me,
Nobody loves me,
Guess I'll go eat worms.

At least, that's how I've been singing it the last 50 years. :lol:

Sheesh, I think I'd prefer singing the Wedding Singer's version of that song...

"...oh somebody kill me please!
somebody kill meee plleeasssee!
I'm on my knees! Pretty pretty please!
Kiiillllll meeeeee
I want to diiiiieeee
Put a bullet in my heeeeaaa--aaaahhh-eeaaaa-eeaaadd!"

Latest Discussions