What American accent do you have?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting results for me, considering I've lived in the south for 15 years of my life, and the other 15 in the D.C. area....

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

Midland
("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.
full_428371978.jpg

Well, now I know why I was asked if I was from the Pittsburg area at one point. Although, I am pretty good at throwing out a "southern drawl" if I'm in the mood! That's another funny story- I've lived in S.C. and Tennessee for a few years here and there, and can pretty much pick out which one a person is from, especially Ten. They just have that certain "sound"...

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many pronounce "creek" so that it rhymes with "pick"? hehe. My wife, a Kansan, gives me grief about my oo's. "How arr yooo?" "Oo, I'm gooo-ud". :rofl:

Growing up in Oklahoma, we would say "we're fixin' to go crawdad fishin' down by the crick"...in Texas (Houston area) we say "hey ya'll, I'm fixin' to go fishin' in the bayou".

Also in Houston, the "H" is not pronounced...Houston = (Y)ouston and the city of Humble = Umble. There is a street called Monroe that is pronounced MONroe and another one Kuykendahl pronounced Kirkendall. The days of the week do not end in a 'y' instead it is pronounced Mondee, Tuesdee...and so on.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, as I said before- I live near D.C.... A few years ago, I went to the southern part of West Va., and was eating breakfast with a group of friends that I met there. I asked for some syrup, and they just laughed at me. I say it like "see-rup", and they said it like "sir-up".

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, as I said before- I live near D.C.... A few years ago, I went to the southern part of West Va., and was eating breakfast with a group of friends that I met there. I asked for some syrup, and they just laughed at me. I say it like "see-rup", and they said it like "sir-up".

In some parts of Texas, it is also pronounced "sur-rup".

I just couldn't imagine having to learn English as a foreign language; then traveling the English speaking world and trying to understand what people are saying.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Midland ("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

I guess seeing as how everyone else who grew up in New England is getting this response, it shouldn't suprise me.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Said I was from Northeast and I am, Brooklyn Boy here, was waiting to see if they had jeetyet(did you eat yet) there and one two tree(three)

hehehehehe'

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The quiz nailed this Michigander as Northern. When I'm in Florida, people ask me if I'm from Canada.

A few years ago we went to a restaurant with some relatives visiting from Oklahoma. We ordered drinks; one of the women from Oklahoma ordered an iced-tea. The waitress brought her an Asti. We all had a pretty good laugh.

Latest Discussions