What American accent do you have?

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Hmm...thats only because they didn't ask me where I pahked the Hondar.[/FONT]

Brilliant!
They pegged me as the same. Growing up a New Hampshire boy, I never thought I'd be pegged as "Midland"-er...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now I did the quiz even though I'm from Australia. The result was interesting.

Northeastern Most people don't know it but this is actually what dictionaries are based on. If you don't believe me, pick up any American dictionary and look up "source" and "sauce" and you'll see they are written with the same vowel pronunciation.

Seems about right if I was ever going to have an American accent.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Northern, born and raised in New Jersey but I've always been told I have an Ohio accent - what ever that is.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Not a bad thing since I grew up and live in South East Michigan :D ;)

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score

Northeastern Most people don't know it but this is actually what dictionaries are based on. If you don't believe me, pick up any American dictionary and look up "source" and "sauce" and you'll see they are written with the same vowel pronunciation.

Ditto for me as well. Be interesting to see if a Northeastern accent sounds anything like an Aussie accent!!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme

Funny thing about that. The younger groups my age and down say pronounce it differently. The older groups pronounce them the same. They pronounce words with "O's" like "Dorchester" or "shorts" the way you say "sauce". The younger groups pronounce them as "doorchester" and "shoorts" like saying "ore". At least so in the Boston area. So I guess it's changing.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My results are mid-land accent.

I have heard this before despite spending most of my life in Oklahoma and Texas. My father grew up in Brooklyn, NY and my mother in Missouri, so I think since I learned to speak from them, that is why I don't have a southern accent. However, my brother is very country...no clue about that one.

The survey didn't include the little nuances that make up where you maybe from. More that how you say the word, what word you choose also can label where you are from. For instance, I always use the word "fixin'" as in "I am fixin' to go to the store", and every soft drink is a "Coke" no matter what the product is. No matter how "mid-land" I may sound, just using these two words in this fashion immediately tag me as a product of the south.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nailed..Grew up in Cleveland...

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, newscaster here.
California and Oregon, I guess enough Oregon to take the valley out of the Santa Cruz kid ;p.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look lak ah gots da Suthern acksent ya'll. Gawl-lee ta thank I got a voyce lak Gomer Pyle. Surprize Surprize Surprize!

Ah always thawt that dem Minnesodas folk talk lak Swedes meself! You know... like from that movie Fargo... "yah he was kinda funny lookin'". "Yah?" "yah."

Occasionally I'll lapse into something from the British Isles; Scots or Irish or just ruddy ole English. Some folks ask where I'm from when I do that... must be pretty good. :D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many pronounce "creek" so that it rhymes with "pick"? hehe. My wife, a Kansan, gives me grief about my oo's. "How arr yooo?" "Oo, I'm gooo-ud". :rofl:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How many pronounce "creek" so that it rhymes with "pick"? hehe. My wife, a Kansan, gives me grief about my oo's. "How arr yooo?" "Oo, I'm gooo-ud". :rofl:
Sometimes I'll pronounce crick when referring to a creek... depends on my mood.
But my "oo's" will stay the same short way. I doan't strich 'em owt ya knaow.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:

Occasionally I'll lapse into something from the British Isles; Scots or Irish or just ruddy ole English. Some folks ask where I'm from when I do that... must be pretty good. :D

Lol, any particular reason why, or just because you can?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been asked several times before if I came from England (across the pond). I don't know... as I've never heard the British speak and I really don't know how I speak when compared to others. (I'm deaf). It's been said I speak in a "short and clipped" way. I grew up in the SouthWest region (New Mexico).

According to my best estimation of how I might speak, the link says I'm Midland (??)

All I know is that I have a definite "deaf accent" and it takes a while for others to listen to how I'm saying before they figure out what I'm actually saying.

- Ceicei

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've lived all over the USA (Midwest, New England, Deep South), and everywhere I go, people say that I have no accent.

If anything, I get more comments on the voice, where people ask if I'm ill...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Occasionally I'll lapse into something from the British Isles; Scots or Irish or just ruddy ole English. Some folks ask where I'm from when I do that... must be pretty good.

Lol, any particular reason why, or just because you can?
:idunno: No particular reason why, it just comes upon me occasionally so I do it but conciously I'll switch back to my regular way of speaking.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:idunno: I guess I don't sound "Canadian"

I'm Canadian, and came out Midland. Interestingly enough, that's a typical Canadian accent (nobody says "aboot" for "about" here). Many Canadian broadcasters pursue careers in the U.S. since the typical Canadian "urban" accent tends to sound neutral to U.S. listeners. Sometimes my southern Nova Scotia accent comes out, but not often.

Best regards,

-Mark

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
:idunno: No particular reason why, it just comes upon me occasionally so I do it but conciously I'll switch back to my regular way of speaking.

Fair enough. My parents are Irish, and many moons ago, when I'd have a few too many, I'd break into an Irish accent. Very odd. :) I don't drink any more of course, so that nipped that in the bud. Can do quite a fine American accent if I say so myself. Lol.

Latest Discussions