were would you be without MA in your life ?

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
:angel:

for me i know exactly were i would be and what it would be like with out it in my life !

%-}

it has brought so many benifits into life i think id be lost with out it...

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
MA is so much a part of my everyday I life and has been for so long, I have no idea where I'd be without it.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same as not having my kids...

More time and money to myself!!

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have no idea how to defend myself. I would throw wide arcing punches people could see coming a mile away and get my head handed to me as before. I wouldn't know how to fall, and would have been injured many times. I wouldn't have any confidence in myself, and I certainly wouldn't have worked as a bouncer and the like. I may not even be alive, as MA helped me prevail over a mugger. Basically, I would be rather pathetic in a lot of ways, although having filled out and become strong, it wouldn't be as bad as when I was a skinny kid. I owe a MA a lot, discipline, self confidence, employment, and perhaps my life. Every boy needs a hobby...

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Other than family, it's been the only constant in my life for almost 35 years. I can't conceive of not having the structure and discipline I associate with my training.

On the other hand, I'd probably have a lot fewer scars and my knees wouldn't hurt all the time.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've only recently re-joined the MA world. I know that the years of JJ with my old sensei had a huge impact on my life, my self esteem and my physical and mental development.
Without that, my life would probably have been different in a number of ways, and probably not in a good way.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd be the same place as I am with it now--only my self confidence would be really low, people would use me as a doormat, and I'd still have that dream of wishing I could try it someday. I most likely wouldn't have my very best friend either, whom I randomly met and it was only finding out about our same passion for martial arts that we started talking and hanging out.

Robyn

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Probably I'd be depressed and frustrated. And fatter. Martial arts have been a great physical outlet for me, and it counts as quality social time as well.

Also, never underestimate the importance of the improved self confidence that almost everybody reports from training in MA. That helps all other areas of life, and in itself it could prevent you from being picked as a target for a bully or a mugging. In the four years since I started MA, who knows how many times I may have been passed over for that?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Without martial arts I guess I would be on some other forum right now

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just wouldn't be me. I have had girlfriends say that it's them or the training, and my answer is that everything they love about me is because of who I am, and who I am is due in no small part to my Martial Art training. So to choose them over my training is redundant, because then they won't have me, they'll have a shell of who they have now. Not many got that though...

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just wouldn't be me. I have had girlfriends say that it's them or the training, and my answer is that everything they love about me is because of who I am, and who I am is due in no small part to my Martial Art training. So to choose them over my training is redundant, because then they won't have me, they'll have a shell of who they have now. Not many got that though...

Very true!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd probably have learned how to fly fish and I'd being doing alot more photography. More importantly I'd probably have less good friends and a lower pain tolerance. I got back into martial arts as an adult and I don't think I derive much of my confidence from my practice in martial arts.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd be exactly the same as I'm now... except for the fact that I'd probably be less flexible ;).

Practising martial arts hasn't significally changed my life. I like it, but I like it just as much as web design or music. Of course, I'd like to get better in the art I practise and I'm working hard to achieve that - but still, it's not more than a nice hobby (and a good way to stay fit ;) ).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dead... truly, MA has saved my life more than once.
It helped hone surviving instincts and my SD skills and helped heightened my awareness of my surroundings ten fold. I'd probably would've got my *** beaten more times without it.

But still, even without it (MA), I'd be a helluva lot less disciplined, self-confident, and my self-esteem would be not as high as it is now.

Not to mention my caving would've not be as good. :uhyeah:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Without Ma I would be sitting in front of the computer all day, playing WOW and eating cheeze doodles all day. Occationally I`d try copying some flying kicks from a movie in the back yard but I`d get winded pretty fast. My gf would never have hooked up with me unless I was in shape either, she is "not a fan of fat"

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be a fatter, mroe easily winded, angrier, more depressed, less disciplind version of me. I'd be a poorer father, husband, friend. I'd be a poorer musician (conversly, my music training ahs benefited my MA training...but that's another thread). I'd probably have MORE injuries and I doubt I'd have the patience to pursue my current career....I'd probably still be strugglign more with addiction as well.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions