Making Money in the Martial Arts...

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello...
I am exploring various ways people have used the martial arts or their knowledge of martial arts to make money.

Some ideas are...
Teaching
Video Instruction
Prize Fighting
Writing

What are some "creative" ideas you might have heard of.
THanks,
Jeremy Bays

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For most folks, the best way to end up with a small fortune from Martial Arts is to start with a large fortune.:) There are a lot of instructors who have earned comfortable livings from teaching, writing, or some other use of their training but most of us are happy just not to go in the hole.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ninja?

Might not be too feasible now a days.

OK, then how about thug, mugger, or something along those lines? I know you could just depend on weapons or size and strength, but martial arts could be helpful too.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, then how about thug, mugger, or something along those lines? I know you could just depend on weapons or size and strength, but martial arts could be helpful too.
Yeah, strong arm robbery is always an option, but, the consequences if caught aren't attractive...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of these depend on more than martial arts skill alone, however I will list them anyway:
School ownership/School management
Refereeing for pay
Paid demonstrations
School franchising
Landlording (rent out mat space/school space)
Rank certifications
Retailing (selling martial arts items at a markup)
Consulting
Journalist/commentator/broadcaster
Association management/ownership
Event organization

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, if your flashy enough you could be a martial arts movie star I suppose, usually you don't have to be able to act. You could own a large chain of McDojo's guaranteeing a bunch of rather pathetic types blackbelts for learning very little and doing very little if the price is right. Going along with the McDojo idea, you could make it a sort of a daycare, and even pick up the kiddies in a van and give the parents a break if the money is right (This last one would be like hell for me, but the money might be good) To be less sarcastic, you could run a very good school and make good money as well.

Bodyguards sometimes make good money, of course you will need to know something about guns, which really are modern day martial arts weapons anyway, and other things like putting your body in front of your client, and really, getting a long with your client is the most important thing for a bodyguard according to a former bodyguard I once asked, he also said hours are long ...

You could send mail order blackbelts and instructor certificates I suppose, I couldn't live with myself selling such things...

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Going along with the McDojo idea, you could make it a sort of a daycare, and even pick up the kiddies in a van and give the parents a break if the money is right (This last one would be like hell for me, but the money might be good) ..

LOL Ive actually seen this van concept in my town. It is for a tae kwon do school nearby. I hate to judge when I know virtually nothing about the school, but the kiddie van instantly puts it in the category of day care rather than serious martial arts IMO. (their advertisement also says they offer after school tutoring)

Hey, if you like kids and martial arts, that may not be a bad way to go. It's clearly a needed service for the parents. However, I wouldnt' expect adults to take me seriously as a potential martial arts instructor. It's almost as if you have to decide, do you want to make money taking care of kids or do you want competent adult students?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have a really good level of proficiency in a particular area, why not conduct seminars and clinics?

I've seen a good number of Kobudo instructors do this, and they can bring in a fair amount of $$$, depending on their skill level, and the interest in their work.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember a story I heard on the radio a few years ago about an election in Zimababwe that Mugabe stole. They talked about how the independent observers came through, looked around, and everything looked kosher to them so they moved on. What they didn't know was that one of the election "officials" was a government strong man widely know for his Karate skills and his willingness to use them brutally and that everyone in line to vote was scared to death of him.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be of little use in this thread. I may have some knowledge that other want but I have never made any money in the arts. I teach because I love doing so not to get rich.
That being said if someone in a different part of the country wanted me to give seminars I would indeed charge them enough to get there and back and the price of a room ( if a couch was not avaible) but little more.
I do know those who have made money from teaching, selling rank, testing, privates, seminars, etc. but those where only a few from the mny that taught. These individuals usualy charged more for everything and people bought it because it cost more not because the instruction was better

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your ideas so far...
Please keep them coming.

I had a few that are not listed yet

1.) teach Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics
2.) Instructional DVDs
3.) P.I. / Security analyist
4.) Open / run a Martial arts related website selling products/ideas/or services

Any others?
THanks,
Jeremy Bays

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am with Tshadowchaser on this, I run my school for the love. I have very little students with the avtually space I have, but in the end I am enjoying myself and my school.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Teaching the MA..if you love doing this? ....Open your own school...

In time as your Students become a Black belt...Franchise it..to your own students....

Long term here....

We have a friend who has his own school, a full time job (days) and runs rape prevention seminars every so often...and charges a reason fees...

Look outside the box too...............Aloha,

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I know this post sounds superfical but i am looking for ways outside the box to make a few bucks. I am not looking to cheapen the arts but to promote them.

I have had a small dojo in the past and we operated on a "pay what you can, when you can" basis. I loved that and do not want to change that at all.

I am looking for a method of generating income on the side.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember a story I heard on the radio a few years ago about an election in Zimababwe that Mugabe stole. They talked about how the independent observers came through, looked around, and everything looked kosher to them so they moved on. What they didn't know was that one of the election "officials" was a government strong man widely know for his Karate skills and his willingness to use them brutally and that everyone in line to vote was scared to death of him.
So that's where Chuch Norris was at that time.
icon10.gif

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL Ive actually seen this van concept in my town. It is for a tae kwon do school nearby. I hate to judge when I know virtually nothing about the school, but the kiddie van instantly puts it in the category of day care rather than serious martial arts IMO. (their advertisement also says they offer after school tutoring)

Hey, if you like kids and martial arts, that may not be a bad way to go. It's clearly a needed service for the parents. However, I wouldnt' expect adults to take me seriously as a potential martial arts instructor. It's almost as if you have to decide, do you want to make money taking care of kids or do you want competent adult students?

It's big in my area as well, finding good martial arts instruction in my area is a challenge...

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am with Tshadowchaser on this, I run my school for the love. I have very little students with the avtually space I have, but in the end I am enjoying myself and my school.
I teach for the love of what I do.It helps people change their lives, get in shape, feel good about what they can do for themselfs. The moneys not great but the sideaffects are out of this world.