Lost In Translation?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How much information do you think has been lost in translation when it comes to MA in reference to what is taught and the meaning of MA as it came from Asian countries to the U.S.?

I also want to hear from those who have spent time overseas and learned MA and compare it to how the same art is here in the U.S. What has been lost in the translation of it?
Not just the fighting aspect of it but also the mental and way of life and everything else.

What good things have really come out of it?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I have trained in Okinawa and Korea and the training is alot more serious than here in the states, most school play the sport and not the Art aspect which leaves big holes in one training. Western civilazation has taken for the most part the hard, intense training and put it ina cracker jack box for a prize. the meaning of a BB has diminished a great deal for alot of folks including me. I'm not sayinf there are not great schools in America just to many McDojo's in my opinion.
Terry

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I have not been overseas to train, I have talked to many who have and they all say exactly what Terry has said. I have heard the phrase "Partial Artists" because it is not as in-depth either in the "fighting" aspect or the "mental" aspect, hence you are getting a partial view of what the art really is. I cannot wait to go over myself and spend even a short time training in the "Home" of my art.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many(lost in translations) especially the "Humble" parts...Martial art's is about developing one self physcial and mentally.

To be strong to protect oneself and others...but also to be a good person with a good heart. Caring and respected.
---------
The other side...the way we practice...not to much spirited side..very few American school understand the "KI" internal parts of the training.

The list goes on...I am sure there are others who can tell you alot more about this..........Aloha

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well I have trained in Okinawa and Korea and the training is alot more serious than here in the states, most school play the sport and not the Art aspect which leaves big holes in one training. Western civilazation has taken for the most part the hard, intense training and put it ina cracker jack box for a prize. the meaning of a BB has diminished a great deal for alot of folks including me. I'm not sayinf there are not great schools in America just to many McDojo's in my opinion.
Terry

It seems to me that this is true. It seems like here in western culture Martial arts is nothing more than just fighting and that is it. On the other hand in the East, Martial Arts embodies a way of life and more It is ashame that it is like this and I hope one day to travel to the east to see how MA is over there.

Latest Discussions