Well rounded taekwondo

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I was drawn to wrestling because it doesn’t seem to rely on a jacket or gi. Seems like anyone can learn wrestling and use it anywhere. Not to say you can’t train no-gi but wrestling is the original “no-gi” lol. Am I right?
Yes. That’s a limitation for schools that teach competition Judo or BJJ. It’s another of the adjustments that Tony referred to - not difficult to make, but you might have to make it yourself in some schools.

OP
Axkick1

Axkick1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So what is the best grappling style to train in in addition to WTF Taekwondo?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BJJ or wrestling.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. What does that have to do with my post?

OK. Op is predominantly a striker and wants a grappling system that rounds his system out. So where he wants to be is mostly standing and striking.

So the necessity to hold someone down for any length of time is pretty unimportant.

In the couple of seconds they are pinned OP can just punch them. If the other guy isn't really controlled. So what? Other guy stands up and OP can TKD the dude in the face.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Op is predominantly a striker and wants a grappling system that rounds his system out. So where he wants to be is mostly standing and striking.

So the necessity to hold someone down for any length of time is pretty unimportant.

In the couple of seconds they are pinned OP can just punch them. If the other guy isn't really controlled. So what? Other guy stands up and OP can TKD the dude in the face.
That's true, if the pin has him with at least one hand free. Wrestling pins aren't really built around the concept of having a hand free to pin. And those that are momentary (by which I meant that they are fleeting, and don't actually represent a time of the kind of control found in a submission, for instance) wouldn't normally present an especially good opening for punching. MMA has done a good job of highlighting which positions present a good opportunity for punching, and most don't involve trying to get both of the other guy's shoulders to stay on the mat. I'm sure some wrestling pins could be adapted to a good punching opportunity, but those that are momentary are probably the least of them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Clearly there's no definitive answer. What do you expect to gain from asking again a third time?
We’re like Will Farrell’s character in Austin Powers: we HAVE to answer any and all questions after they’re asked 3 times.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it’s a full pin. But a wrestling pin, I think, can be momentary, and may not really show control.
You pretty much have to be in full control to be awarded a pin. Not a written rule, but an understood rule. I’ve never seen an accidental pin, so to speak. Maybe the in the WWF, but not real wrestling.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You pretty much have to be in full control to be awarded a pin. Not a written rule, but an understood rule. I’ve never seen an accidental pin, so to speak. Maybe the in the WWF, but not real wrestling.
I'm thinking of video I've seen, and it seemed (mind you, I'm almost completely ignorant of the rules) that the pin only had to be for a moment - it could almost (but not entirely, from what I saw) be in a transition. The pinner had to be in control and pushing for the pin, but it didn't put them in control to the point that they could have switched to something like punching.

That's based upon some very unscientific reviews by someone who doesn't understand the rules, so the impression could be entirely wrong. In which case, I have no idea what was going on. (Maria, no comments on that!)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's true, if the pin has him with at least one hand free. Wrestling pins aren't really built around the concept of having a hand free to pin. And those that are momentary (by which I meant that they are fleeting, and don't actually represent a time of the kind of control found in a submission, for instance) wouldn't normally present an especially good opening for punching. MMA has done a good job of highlighting which positions present a good opportunity for punching, and most don't involve trying to get both of the other guy's shoulders to stay on the mat. I'm sure some wrestling pins could be adapted to a good punching opportunity, but those that are momentary are probably the least of them.

Look up half Nelson.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it’s a full pin. But a wrestling pin, I think, can be momentary, and may not really show control.
Here's the thing about getting a pin in wrestling competition: it's true that the scoring pin is only momentary. But in order to get that pin even momentarily against a tough wrestler you have to control his body beforehand in order to maneuver him into the scoring position. In a real fight, that body control offers lots of opportunities for strikes even when there is no official "pin." One relevant term you might look up is "ride."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless I'm mis-using the term, that's not a pin. There's certainly much in the wrestling repertoire that allows control for punching - I was speaking specifically to pins.

OK but there is much in the repertoire that allows control for punching.

Now if you ask really nicely you could get a wrestler to knock you down and hold you in place. I know I haven't met a decent wrestler who couldn't pin me indefinitely.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been going back and forth about which grappling style to train in on the side. I have a black belt In tang soo do but recently I’ve started training in Olympic style taekwondo. I have some experience in judo newaza but it is very basic. I would like to know what grappling art helps a taekwondo practitioner or is most beneficial to taekwondo. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

You might want to check out what's available within driving distance, then research what interests you. Trying each grappling class out is probably the best approach. Judo and Japanese jujitsu are great styles I would check into if I were you. Have you considered Hapkido? I know a lot of martial artist that have trained both tang so do and Hapkido.

OP
Axkick1

Axkick1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Clearly there's no definitive answer. What do you expect to gain from asking again a third time?
Because no one was really answering my question. So instead you are on here asking Me a question about my question??? Lol!

OP
Axkick1

Axkick1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You might want to check out what's available within driving distance, then research what interests you. Trying each grappling class out is probably the best approach. Judo and Japanese jujitsu are great styles I would check into if I were you. Have you considered Hapkido? I know a lot of martial artist that have trained both tang so do and Hapkido.
Yes that is a good idea my friend. I will have to do that. I’m Kinda leaning towards judo.

Latest Discussions