Weapon Of Choice

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Weapons of choice? UM? Our system requires us to learn how to use Nunchakus, Kamas,Kali sticks,Bo,and the knives. (even using short ropes).

It is our goal to learn and be familar with many weapons and how to handle them well. The hard part is many of these weapons are illegal to carry.

It is not illegal to carry a pocket knife, long handle flashlights ( I carry a 6 "C"'s battery long Maglight) in my truck and bed side stand.) "C"'s size flashlight is skinner than the "D" sizes.

Baseball bats are not illegal to carry also....just make sure you have a baseball glove and ball too! (in the car)

Golf clubs can also be carry on person or in cars.....I use to see an old man go walking carry a golf Iron? looks like a nine iron......

Umbrella's specially built can be carry as well as walking sticks.....

A surefire flashlight is good a blinding people at nite! can be carried in the pocket.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My flavoriate weapon? Is Jet Li on my right side and Geroge Bush on the left.

Aloha

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of all weapons, it would seem to be the belt that would be most convenient. That's right. A belt. Think about it, you most always have one available, right there on the pants. Or, a rope, it is much the same, just grab it and go.

Haha -- my favorite weapon is Jet Li on the right hand side and one of the Gracie brothers (it doesn't matter which one) on the left!

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Barring firearms... my favorite is the walking cane (the kind with the hook). It's very versatile and perfectly legal to take anywhere.

Oh, yeah. I totally agree. The cane is probably one of the most perfect self-defense tools, when properly used.
It's also important to have a medical justification for carrying one. It's relatively easy these days, your doctor can have documentation of back/hip/knee/ankle pain on record to corroborate anything you say to police after any incidents where you may have to "improvise" a martial use of your simple cane.
Also, make sure that it is properly sized to you and that it has a rubber end cap so it will be classified as a medical walking implement. & have someone show you the proper use of the cane to assist walking.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of all weapons, it would seem to be the belt that would be most convenient. That's right. A belt. Think about it, you most always have one available, right there on the pants. Or, a rope, it is much the same, just grab it and go.

I agree, but I've usually got at least a pocket tool on my belt, & sometimes a torch or an additional knife.

For me, the difficulty in deployment of my belt would rule it out for me.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Favorite weapon for what?

If I'm walking around in public here in Oregon it would be a pistol backed up with a folding knife or a sap. In other states it depends on the laws.

For home defense a 12 gauge shotgun with a bayonet.

For developing precision, distance, timing and detachment the rapier.

For working effectively with my Silat with a minimum of conversion issues it would have to be the knife.

Just because it's fun and cool the shamshir and dahl (buckler).

For something I can take anywhere the walking stick and a scarf with glass marbles tied into the fringes.

For other technical reasons the boarding knife, nagamaki or kwan dao.

For use against bears in Alaska, a pistol. But of course, I'll remember to file off the front sight first :p - If you don't know that joke ask me in MT After Dark or privately. The answer isn't fit for polite company.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
depends on the situation, for home defense, I have fire arms and blades and wooden weapons.. but my favorite non fire arms are bo, kama, European (swiss) Halberd, sword ( I have katana and a good broad sword) and I have a yari and a good European spear. I have training to one extent or other with all of them. against an armored attacker the halberd, spears or a gun would be my preference. in tighter quarters my kama, larger bo or perhaps a sword..

navyvetcv60

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My weapon of choice would be the Chinese Hook Sword, it's strong and ridged, every edge is sharp, ( it has multiple edges) do a Google search and look at it, you'll see what i mean!! In my opinion in the sword category it is by far the most intimidating & devastating one.
The one weapon i look forward to learning the most is the 3 sectional staff, can't wait to get my 1st form from that weapon.
And yes, it kinda goes without saying my M1A ( Civilian version of the M14 ) would be the most effective weapon, but then, anybody can pull a trigger.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
6 other bikers. Preferably the Black Belt ones from my dojo.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
the sai. hands down. i love it because of how easily it flows through my hands when i use it and its easy to withdraw strike and recoil it into a block if i needed it to. it just seems so natural to me.

ill also tell u what i hate. the jotos. terrible i mean im good at them i just hate them. tey just seem unnatural in my hands.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, among hand weapons (leaving out firearms) the Japanese sword is superior, but it takes a fair amount of time to learn to use well and properly. I like the bo...strong, versatile, gives you some reach, and it is usually easy to find something to use as one.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To what? Other authorities (such as George Silver) believed the staff (or was it bill-hook?) to be far superior for single combat.

Best regards,

-Mark

Of course, anything is arguable. But, a skilled swordsman is a formidable opponent, and a bo's reach is deceptively small as compared to a katana in combat. Perhaps it is the martial and strategic skill of a highly trained swordsman, as much as the weapon, that might give an edge. I was thinking primarily in terms of the traditional Japanese/Okinawan weapons.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of weapons which are superior to the Japanese sword depending on the application.

• On the battlefield the spear and the halberd rule. Even one on one it really sucks to try and pass the range.
  • On horseback the bow and lance are much more important.
  • Duels are supposed to be between similar weapons. In a mixed-weapon duel I wouldn't discount the rapier ceteris paribus
  • If shields including bucklers are brought into the equation the katana loses a lot of its currency.
  • At very close range shorter weapons have their advantages
  • Armor can completely negate a sword. That's why the preferred weapon on the battlefields of Europe changed several times over the (pre-gunpowder) centuries

The bo is generally not in the same class as military weapons. It is common all over the world and can be carried in places where a sword would be provocative or more obvious weapons are illegal. It is precisely that less-martial quality which takes it out of the realm of first choices for a serious day of killing. Spear, polearm, sword, swords, weapon and shield and even more exotic things like the mai-sok would all be preferred.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of weapons which are superior to the Japanese sword depending on the application.
  • On the battlefield the spear and the halberd rule. Even one on one it really sucks to try and pass the range.
  • On horseback the bow and lance are much more important.
  • Duels are supposed to be between similar weapons.
  • If shields including bucklers are brought into the equation the katana loses a lot of its currency.
  • At very close range shorter weapons have their advantages
  • Armor can completely negate a sword. That's why the preferred weapon on the battlefields of Europe changed several times over the (pre-gunpowder) centuries

We were talking about one-on-one combat with hand weapons. Hell, I can name even more: M-16, M1-A, M-60, Abrams Tank, F-16, ICBM. So there!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
We were talking about one-on-one combat with hand weapons. Hell, I can name even more: M-16, M1-A, M-60, Abrams Tank, F-16, ICBM. So there!

There is a reason why the katana was the tertiary weapon of the Samurai on the battlefield behind the bow and yari, it is a sidearm, useful when you don't have something better.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were talking about one-on-one combat with hand weapons
For one-on-one on foot combat I'd still prefer a good polearm, a spear, a sword and shield or the reach of a sword like the rapier.
On horseback I'd go with the lance, horseman's ax or mace.
The shield, as I said, changes a lot of things as does armor.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps it is the martial and strategic skill of a highly trained swordsman, as much as the weapon, that might give an edge.

No pun intended? ;)

Here's what George has to say on the matter, just so folks know what he was about:

The single sword has the vantage against the single rapier.

The sword and dagger has the vantage against the rapier and poniard.

The sword & target has the advantage against the sword and dagger, or the rapier and poniard.

The sword and buckler has advantage against the sword and target, the sword and dagger, or rapier and poniard.

The two handed sword has the vantage against the sword and target, the sword and buckler, the sword and dagger, or rapier and poniard.

The battle axe, the halberd, the black-bill, or such like weapons of weight, appertaining unto guard or battle, are all one in fight, and have advantage against the two handed sword, the sword and buckler, the sword and target, the sword and dagger, or the rapier and poniard.

The short staff or half pike, forest bill, partisan, or glaive, or such like weapons of perfect length, have the advantage against the battle axe, the halberd, the black bill, the two handed sword, the sword and target, and are too hard for two swords and daggers, or two rapier and poniards with gauntlets, and for the long staff and morris pike.

The long staff, morris pike, or javelin, or such like weapons above the perfect length, have advantage against all manner of weapons, the short staff, the Welch hook, partisan, or glaive, or such like weapons of vantage excepted, yet are too weak for two swords and daggers or two sword and bucklers, or two rapiers and poniards with gauntlets, because they are too long to thrust, strike, and turn speedily. And by reason of the large distance, one of the sword and dagger-men will get behind him.

The Welch hook or forest bill, has advantage against all manner of weapons whatsoever.

Yet understand, that in battles, and where variety of weapons are, among multitudes of men and horses, the sword and target, the two handed sword, battle axe, the black bill, and halberd, are better weapons, and more dangerous in their offense and forces, than is the sword and buckler, short staff, long staff, or forest bill. The sword and target leads upon shot, and in troops defends thrusts and blows given by battle axe, halberds, black bill, or two handed swords, far better than can the sword and buckler.

The morris pike defends the battle from both horse and man, much better than can the short staff, long staff, or forest bill. Again the battle axe, the halberd, the black bill, the two handed sword, and sword & target, among armed men and troops, by reason of their weights, shortness, and great force, do much more offend the enemy, & are then much better weapons, than is the short staff, the long staff, or the forest bill.

Best regards,

-Mark

bigkicks

White Belt
Reaction score
all traditional weapons are useful and are truely art forms that capture the essence of combat of the art, and the culture and historical meaning behind each system. they are great for practice, fun and its also pretty neat having a wall full of acient weapons from all over the world. i have studied, stick,sword,whip,kama,chucks, tonfa,staff stars, sai,NAGINATA & JUTTE,MANRIKI-GUSARI , and fans.

however, which one is practical for selfdefense?? whens the last time you seen a person walking down the street with a katana sword or better yet try and defend your family or house using a sword.

the true weapon is your mind, anything you pick is a tool. for all practical purpose the weapons(tool) you should focus on is one that can carry everyday, legal, and can use well. It also should be as trasparent as the change in your pocket. whether that be an impact weapon(kubotan, surefire flashlight), and a good knife, or even an ASP. i've have used a rolled up magzine one night. you be surprised how you improvise when your life depends on it.

Latest Discussions