WC/WT/VT and Pekiti Tersia

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then don't clown around trying to move, parry and evade standing against someone able to move around freely with a knife. Close distance and establish rapid control over them with the aim always of further restricting options until you are able to break their arm and remove the weapon from the fight. Impose your plan upon them. Do not wait for them to impose the fatal stabbing they have planned upon you.

It is easier to evade a jab than a knife. Your opponent will have an advantage also in length, he will reach when you will not. This sounds like a training scenario, he attempts to stab you and you may react to it. In real life you can hurt his arm, punch him as hard as possible but his mind is still set on killing you. This means he is most likely in a frenzy and pumped up with adrenaline. All rules are out in such a fight, even in a painful submission grip on his arm you will see that he might even break his own arm just trying to stab you fatally. A broken arm does not mean he has been stopped.

Once more, a knife fight is dangerous and fatal.

Are you advocating going on the offense against a knife wearing opponent? Then you need the following to apply, that he does not wish to stab you. In any other scenario he will do that upon your entry, at least for self defense. Noone will pull out a knife, challenge you to a duel from a good distance and then talk **** about your family before attacking. If they intend to use the knife they will walk up, pull out a knife and stab you as many times as possible in as little time as possible and then walk through you and leave.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If they intend to use the knife they will walk up, pull out a knife and stab you as many times as possible

Lol, really?

You guys veer constantly between multi bad guy kung fu fantasy and the sombre voice of reason. Ok I get it, it pleases people to believe that wing chun will help against knife attacks. That's fine.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your WC might not help, but going out running every other day will help against knife attacks. The whole statement is simple, anything that helps you react and avoid being stabbed is helpful in knife attacks.

We are not veering constantly. I have said that training multiple guys, not part of this discussion, is to train the willpower of continuing in a hopeless fight because by doing so it increases your odds of actually coming out alive (not a winner).

There are many things in WC movement that are helpful in reducing the risk of taking a fatal wound from a knife, not a wound itself but those that will kill you on the spot.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Came across this today. The actual group is dead and gone, but the website is still up. Shows a guy with Pekiti & Wing Chun showing some decent defenses against the knife. Not sure what version of Wing Chun he knows. He is using what we call "Ding Jee Ma" in Pin Sun Wing Chun. This is the "cat stance-ish" stance he is using for his evasion. For him he may be using the same thing from Pekiti.

Wing Chun Fight Club - Wing Chun vs the Skilled Knife Fighter DVD Excerpt - Sample Techniques

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Came across this today. The actual group is dead and gone, but the website is still up. Shows a guy with Pekiti & Wing Chun showing some decent defenses against the knife. Not sure what version of Wing Chun he knows. He is using what we call "Ding Jee Ma" in Pin Sun Wing Chun. This is the "cat stance-ish" stance he is using for his evasion. For him he may be using the same thing from Pekiti.

Wing Chun Fight Club - Wing Chun vs the Skilled Knife Fighter DVD Excerpt - Sample Techniques

all I got was a video about a wsl guy and a grappler... no knife defenses(?)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

I know Stephen, this video was filmed when he was either just beginning PTK or in his first year. So it doesn't have much if any influence from the PTK side of things.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Blindside.
What is shown is not indicative of good PTK nor wing chun vs a blade as I know it.

According to the other video on this site: "Sifu Stephan Joffe is a Wong Shun Leung Lineage Sifu."

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't believe everything you read
I don't.
It is also why I state:
"According to the other video on this site".

So I did a look up of Mr. Joffe.
It appears he trained under a man who trained under Victor Kan. That same gentleman, from what I found, also trained under Phillip Bayer and is under the WSL VT KF Association Europe.

If you have resources where other research can be performed please share.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't.
It is also why I state:
"According to the other video on this site".

So I did a look up of Mr. Joffe.
It appears he trained under a man who trained under Victor Kan. That same gentleman, from what I found, also trained under Phillip Bayer and is under the WSL VT KF Association Europe.

If you have resources where other research can be performed please share.

No other resources are required beyond what you already looked at.

Check timeline. You forgot to mention another person.

Basic check also shows teacher of Joffe doesn't look at all similar to PB VT. Reasons could vary, I don't know him.

As I said, don't believe everything you read. Especially don't approach it with a pre-determined conclusion in your head. Keep eyes open.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
No other resources are required beyond what you already looked at.

Check timeline. You forgot to mention another person.
Timeline checked. Other person not mention because of timeline was prior to having trained under WSL lineage.

Basic check also shows teacher of Joffe doesn't look at all similar to PB VT. Reasons could vary, I don't know him.

As I said, don't believe everything you read. Especially don't approach it with a pre-determined conclusion in your head. Keep eyes open.
As I said I don't.
I don't a pre-determined conclusion.
I only stated according to the video the gentleman is in the WSL lineage. You disagree apparently. No matter to me one way or the other.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Timeline checked. Other person not mention because of timeline was prior to having trained under WSL lineage.

Why would you mention PB?

Joffe via Michael street via Clive Potter. Potter has a confused representation of WSL method at best, not at all representative. Michael Street looks worse if anything. And I say this as a person that trained for quite a while with Clive Potter.

Joffe is claiming WSL from Street via Potter, not via PB. Info on his website looks like he has since gone in his own direction entirely. I'm surprised you can't see this from his movement to be honest, but there you are.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would you mention PB?

Joffe via Michael street via Clive Potter. Potter has a confused representation of WSL method at best, not at all representative. Michael Street looks worse if anything. And I say this as a person that trained for quite a while with Clive Potter.

Joffe is claiming WSL from Street via Potter, not via PB. Info on his website looks like he has since gone in his own direction entirely. I'm surprised you can't see this from his movement to be honest, but there you are.

I mentioned Phillip Bayer because in the material I found under Michael Street, Mr. Street states he and a wing chun brother traveled to Germany to train with Bayer upon an invitation by Bayer. Impressed by Mr. Bayer he began to train under him immediately and became a member of the Ving Tsun Kung Fu association Europe.
Mr. Joffe states he still is an associate of Mr. Street.
Mr. Potter also states he is a student of WSL. You say Potter is not representative of WSL but is he of the WSL lineage? And is Mr. Street also of the WSL lineage having trained under both Potter and Bayer. Or, did they and he not train long enough to be considered of the WSL lineage?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please don't troll me. Use your eyes

lol at "timeline checked"

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please don't troll me. Use your eyes

lol at "timeline checked"
Troll you? That is comical.
I'm not trying to sow discord, to argue, or to upset anyone and I don't believe I've posted anything inflammatory.
I posted based upon the information I have. Perhaps you have more or different information.

Latest Discussions