WC Kicks?

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I found something that should wet your whistle. This is pretty old video too.

Spinning hook kicks, dude. That tingle means it's working.

Wow this one's cool! Something about the way he does it seems so calm yet powerful and the kicks are definitely great I like the hook kicks he does

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But that made me think of the gazillion Wing Chun kicks I've seen, how few went above the waist. Too bad.
Yeah, I’m with you. In reality I guess the only limits to kicking are an individual's imagination, physical ability and skill. IMO, the practicality and effectiveness of kicks chosen can be somewhat situationally dependent. So do the kick because we can, or do the kick because it fits?

As far as what the Wing Chun system supports in terms of cohesiveness and practicality of concepts, principles and overall strategies... there are really no kicks radically above the waist. Not telegraphing the kick, setting up, or deep chambering are the result of what the overall system teaches in general. They’re mostly close-range also, waang gerk 橫腳 being one of the longest kicks.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m with you. In reality I guess the only limits to kicking are an individual's imagination, physical ability and skill. IMO, the practicality and effectiveness of kicks chosen can be somewhat situationally dependent. So do the kick because we can, or do the kick because it fits?

As far as what the Wing Chun system supports in terms of cohesiveness and practicality of concepts, principles and overall strategies... there are really no kicks radically above the waist. Not telegraphing the kick, setting up, or deep chambering are the result of what the overall system teaches in general. They’re mostly close-range also, waang gerk 橫腳 being one of the longest kicks.

Good post Callen.
IME, leg methods are akin to hand methods in that it is not about the number of kicks; but more about the various ways to generate the power for the leg method being employed. The forms contain these 'little ideas' for us to develop. In the forms, there are examples of "hitting from wherever the hand happens to be".
The leg methods of WC are somewhat similar. Examples are contained throughout the system (forms, wooden man, etc).
When I see WC people chambering and flicking their kicks...it is cringe-worthy and IMO are NOT wing chun leg methods. It would be the same as a WC punch being drawn back (chambered) and flicked at the opponent with no elbow/shoulder/horse backing it up.
Anyway, sorry for the rant! :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BTW, "above the waist" is a relative term. If if you kick a guy's legs out from under him, the follow up kick could be delivered at what was his waist level a moment ago ....and hit him squarely in the head! :p

At least if you don't mind kicking a man when he's down. ;)