WC- three techniques at once?

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is often shown in books on Wing Chun that a practitioner is simultaneously striking with hand and foot whilst blocking. This leads people to believe that this kind of co-ordination is typical of Wing Chun students, when in fact it is not. When a simultaneous leg and hand technique are shown on the dummy it is a leg technique with hand block, the strike is incidental as the variables are too great to expect everything to work out in reality. Most styles block then punch or block then kick, and will often intercept astrike by 'beating a person to a punch' etc. Wing Chun practitioners can block and strike or block and kick simultaneously but not all three. The hand technique shown on a dummy when blocking and kicking is for distance judgement, as it very easy to be out of range when kicking low. It is important to be able to drive through with a low kick to break a strong stance. (One exception to this rule is the sweep kick).
Does anyone who trains Wing Chun here agree or do you train all three techniques simultaneously?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
It is often shown in books on Wing Chun that a practitioner is simultaneously striking with hand and foot whilst blocking. This leads people to believe that this kind of co-ordination is typical of Wing Chun students, when in fact it is not. When a simultaneous leg and hand technique are shown on the dummy it is a leg technique with hand block, the strike is incidental as the variables are too great to expect everything to work out in reality. Most styles block then punch or block then kick, and will often intercept astrike by 'beating a person to a punch' etc. Wing Chun practitioners can block and strike or block and kick simultaneously but not all three. The hand technique shown on a dummy when blocking and kicking is for distance judgement, as it very easy to be out of range when kicking low. It is important to be able to drive through with a low kick to break a strong stance. (One exception to this rule is the sweep kick).
Does anyone who trains Wing Chun here agree or do you train all three techniques simultaneously?

The simple answer is yes.

OP
fightingfat

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes you agree, or yes you train all three techniques simultaneously?

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
Yes you agree, or yes you train all three techniques simultaneously?

As I pointed out in a nother post this is the purpose of the chum kui. People assume that by using all three tools you lack any real power or a re in danger of loosing your centre of gravity, however with sufficient traiining in the Chum Kui, you should be able to take the energy developed in the SLT and apply it to one leg, thus ensurring that you will be able to utilise your three tools with confidence and effectiveness. This is why The Chum Kui shoudl be done slowly and carefully (not as slow as the first section of the SLT) so that the proper energy is developed. So yes you can train the three tools.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I may not be a WC guy, but we train quite heavily in simultaneous atacks, block, and kicks.

7sm

OP
fightingfat

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think that training three techniques at the same time is dangerous and not realistic for self defense!

OP
fightingfat

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
In a real self defense scenario, you're NEVER going to be able to block and punch and kick all at the same time AND hit your target area, AND do it effectively. I think that if you think that will work, you are just kidding yourself.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
In a real self defense scenario, you're NEVER going to be able to block and punch and kick all at the same time AND hit your target area, AND do it effectively. I think that if you think that will work, you are just kidding yourself.

I understand what you think, I was really interested in why you think that way. I've actually used a technique that involved a rising block, straight punch and a groin kick all at the same time in a real self defense situation adn it worked great, I think the point is to train them, not just expect them to work. Also its important to understand the limitation of any technique.

Do you have any reason to believe that way or is that just what you belive and thus how you train?

7sm

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
Personally, I think that training three techniques at the same time is dangerous and not realistic for self defense!

A turn, a punch and a tan is three "techniques".

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:

Not true at all it is effective, the question is have you trined the proper energy to be able to make it effective, and there are a lot of people who would honestly have to answer a negative to that.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I may not be a WC guy, but we train quite heavily in simultaneous atacks, block, and kicks.

7sm

could you be more specific on how those exercises you have related to Chum Kui training of WC? if you have sufficient knowledge of WC, that is.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I understand what you think, I was really interested in why you think that way. I've actually used a technique that involved a rising block, straight punch and a groin kick all at the same time in a real self defense situation adn it worked great, I think the point is to train them, not just expect them to work. Also its important to understand the limitation of any technique.

Do you have any reason to believe that way or is that just what you belive and thus how you train?

7sm
(..this is not a reply to your post, but more like an agreement and elaboration...)

well, in mantis you are trained to do so all the time even if you miss. you have 2 arms, 2 legs, if you are attacked in one direction, say up and right, then you are blocking with right arm, kicking with left leg then kneeing in right knee or something all at the same time. the hop-lifting kick is a good example, you are blocking up, palm with the other hand with a heel kick simultaneously.

On the other hand you have to realize that in mantis you keep going (striking, that is) even if you miss or even if your opponent falls dead. you only stop when you can disengage, if that is your goal.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
could you be more specific on how those exercises you have related to Chum Kui training of WC? if you have sufficient knowledge of WC, that is.

Sorry where you refering to me?

Latest Discussions