WC clips.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It was a good sparring session and intense , but to be perfectly honest there seemed to be a bit of brute strength being used as well . Some thing else I noticed is the lack of being sunk down in the stance , I used to notice this in our school as well with the big guys .

If they were big and been there for a long time they would get very lazy in their stance and start standing straight up all the time and sometimes in chi sau they would even be leaning , and these were instructors I'm talking about too.

I think the reason is laziness and because they are big they can get away with it , being a small bloke I was always sunk down out of necessity , otherwise I would get thrown around and because I was an instructor I was conscious of setting a good example for lower grades who are always watching you .

another reason i have looked at ,when you look at stepping out of stance,is just the plain fact we spent so much of our time upright,and to me even now ,sinking into stance dont feel naturel,and i think it is one of the hardest things to do in wingchun,and be consistent.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
another reason i have looked at ,when you look at stepping out of stance,is just the plain fact we spent so much of our time upright,and to me even now ,sinking into stance dont feel naturel,and i think it is one of the hardest things to do in wingchun,and be consistent.

It does get easier after a lot of years and actually feels quite comfortable , sometimes you catch yourself standing like it when you don't even mean to because it becomes such a habit .

I have been somewhere with non-chunners and they will remark to me , why are you standing like that for ? , you look like your having a piss lol. And I will find that unconsciously I have sunk down into bit of a stance , used to happen a lot when I was drunk .

I have learnt to break the habit of going into stance involuntarily , but I can't break the habit of my feet always being shoulder width apart where ever I am .

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A good way to increase your stance work...

Do SLT in your stance really sink it. Every time you come out start SLT over

Do the Mook Jong Form in low YGKYM stance an transition from each move using counter step and side step and front step.

Hold you stance when doing one thousand punches.

Practice each day sitting in the stance for ten minutes(eventually work up to that.)

Do Chi Sau with a partner in stance.

Practice sparring in your stance and keep your legs close together.

Practice your steps while concentrating on your stance.

Have a buddy tell you everytime you come out your stance. I hate to hear that...so it made correct my stance on my own.

Now I can feel myself leaving my stance.

Also strecth before and after you start sinking in the stance. I promise if your strecth like a karate and Tae Kwan Do kicker you will have no problem holding that stance...man my legs feel tight now...i think i need to strecth.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been somewhere with non-chunners and they will remark to me , why are you standing like that for ? , you look like your having a piss lol. And I will find that unconsciously I have sunk down into bit of a stance , used to happen a lot when I was drunk .

laff my head off

i used to walk around the house sunk down into the stance,never done it while out and about tho haha.

i used to watch others stance in class,they would start out sunk into stance,but soon as they were pressed or coming forwards,they would raise up out of the stance,and you could really see the difference,where balance and footwork were concerned.

i think there are a lot of people who after years of training still dont utilise the stance enough ,and i have said plenty of times,that so much time and emphasis is spent on hand techniques,the legs are fogotten,and it is only after frustration sets in wondering why we are unbalanced and being controlled so much,do we then take a harder look at the stance,and put the required work in .

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of people have a problem with keeping the stance while they move , but like everything else it takes practice . A good one for that is to practice moving in your stance in all different directions forward , back , and moving to the left and right .

Make sure to stay sunk down , do it in front of a mirror if you got one , concentrate on what your legs and feet are doing , the thighs should feel relaxed and springy , don't lift your feet up too high , just enough that the feet glide over the surface of the floor .

In our lineage we also do a slight gripping action with the toes , this increases the surface area of the foot which strengthens the stance . Once you can do all this stuff without thinking , then forget about what your legs and feet are doing and just concentrate on moving from your waist .

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i just had to include this clip of augustine fong with one of his sudents.its a good slowed down demonstration of using triangle,centre etc.

what also comes through is the obvious enjoyment of having a sifu,who is at total ease with himself and confidence in his ability,and it shows.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i just had to include this clip of augustine fong with one of his sudents.its a good slowed down demonstration of using triangle,centre etc.

what also comes through is the obvious enjoyment of having a sifu,who is at total ease with himself and confidence in his ability,and it shows.

I like Augustine Fong's skill, he seems to have really soft hands too. Love the "get better" advice!

I was sure that there were some more Fong videos here but I can't remember where exactly.

Found them.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

What lineage is Sifu Fong from , I noticed they use the hands a lot to control where as in our lineage we use the wrists . What are you other guys taught to use , hands or wrists ?

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What lineage is Sifu Fong from , I noticed they use the hands a lot to control where as in our lineage we use the wrists . What are you other guys taught to use , hands or wrists ?

like paulus said,and i got this

Augustine Fong was born on the island of Macao, off the coast of southern China. Since his early childhood, he has had a special interest in the Chinese martial arts. In 1960, he was fortunate enough to begin training in a traditional gung fu style. His instructor was the honorable Wing Chun master, Ho Kam Ming. Master Ho, a top student of the late grand master Yip Man, had, at that time, introduced the style to the Macao area. Augustine Fong, without a second thought, became one of his first students.

as for wrists or hands for control,we start with the wrists.i asked my sifu about this as i found i was using my hands aswell.he told me not to worry about it.i find myself using my hands more,as i found it to be more tactile using the fingers to detect movement,and felt more protected .dunno mate to be honest i didnt know there was difference depending on your lineage.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard that Augustine Fong was a pretty good fighter. Ho Kam was said to note that Fong was his top fighter in tournments....

like paulus said,and i got this

Augustine Fong was born on the island of Macao, off the coast of southern China. Since his early childhood, he has had a special interest in the Chinese martial arts. In 1960, he was fortunate enough to begin training in a traditional gung fu style. His instructor was the honorable Wing Chun master, Ho Kam Ming. Master Ho, a top student of the late grand master Yip Man, had, at that time, introduced the style to the Macao area. Augustine Fong, without a second thought, became one of his first students.

as for wrists or hands for control,we start with the wrists.i asked my sifu about this as i found i was using my hands aswell.he told me not to worry about it.i find myself using my hands more,as i found it to be more tactile using the fingers to detect movement,and felt more protected .dunno mate to be honest i didnt know there was difference depending on your lineage.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I noticed that too. Although a cute cute video. Ah, the frustration of doing Chi Sau with the Sifu. Your just not going to get in there, relax. lol! I do the same thing, try to think too much.
Sifu's really good, good teacher, looks like they have alot of fun.

Sifu usually ends up with his hands "cuping" mine in Chi Sau like a "fuk sau" when we're rolling and flowing. I thought he just used those huge hands to his advantage, like it was just a big guy thing. I guess not. Plus, it makes it really hard to wrist roll around his arms and hands. He just catches my hand/wrist with his hands.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sifu usually ends up with his hands "cuping" mine in Chi Sau like a "fuk sau" when we're rolling and flowing. I thought he just used those huge hands to his advantage, like it was just a big guy thing. I guess not. Plus, it makes it really hard to wrist roll around his arms and hands. He just catches my hand/wrist with his hands.

with me it was a naturel progression to use both wrists and hands.

dont think you will find a better example than this .i wish i could hear what was being said.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Please explain using both hands and wrist in more detail...

with me it was a naturel progression to use both wrists and hands.

dont think you will find a better example than this .i wish i could hear what was being said.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
We only use the wrists like this , disregard these guys crappy stances and leaning and just watch their hands .

Boy things sure have slipped since I was there lol.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very cool! I don't think hand to hand contact is going to give you the same pressure and sensitivity as wrist to wrist. Sure, sometimes your hand ends up on their hand during chi sau, but to start off that way is really different to me.
Hubbie cups my hands, he's also got my whole darn forearm! (his hands are really big, and I'm teeny) I can NEVER wrist roll around him! But when I chi sau with a smaller guy it's too easy, it's weird. Hubbies hand is as long as my forearm from fingertip to wrist and palm to elbow. He's larrrrgggee. lol!
But, he doesn't grab my hands, that would make it really easy to wrist roll out of. Just a flick of the wrist.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are some more clips from the old school , this bloke looks like he's been grazing in a good paddock since I last met him .

But anyway the information is good and I reckon you lot might be able to get some benefit from it .
They are pretty long at about 7 mins but I think you will find it worth it .

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t study WC but I found the video’s to be very informative. Thanks.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think hand to hand contact is going to give you the same pressure and sensitivity as wrist to wrist. Sure, sometimes your hand ends up on their hand during chi sau, but to start off that way is really different to me.

with me it is just the fooksau,i use the hand on,and obviously you cannot use it on the tan side,unless your in double fooksau .i use the fooksau,with my fingers acting like feelers,i dont use the whole hand,maybe three fingers at most.on other times i find my palm is resting on the wrist.

also i never hold,well not in the sense your grasping the hand,it is very light and use my fingers on the fooksau to jerk the opponent forwards,if i sense a moment of tensing.

i do think using the hands this way is more complicated,and if not carefull can lead to being hit more,i prefer it in the way the chisau seems to flow better,well for me at least.

bloody hell thinking about is hard enough without writing about it haha.

Latest Discussions