Water or sport drinks, which do you prefer?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Typically, Gator or Power Ade...whichever's on sale. I always have plain water with me, too, though. So, both.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Water 90% of the time and gatorade or powerade the other 10%
Terry

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you know that I run marathons, triathlons and ultra-marathons-though not lately due to knee surgery last year. On the subject of hydration, most of us do not drink enough water, and this baseline hydration is what is paramount. Most people's activites do not merit the use of sport drinks, and this includes (IMHO) most martial artists-though there's no harm in chugging them if one is somewhat active, except for the high-fructose corn syrup.

I do use energy drinks and sport drinks like Gatorade, but I also prepare my own sport drink by adding a little more than a tablespoon of frozen concentrated orange or pineapple juice to a quart of water, with about a little less than 1//4 teaspoon of sea-salt.

High fructose corn syrup is evil.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For regular work outs I find water is enough. Although I do have to say for tournament days where you may be fighting multiple times over a long period of time and trying to keep warm between matches, a sports drink really does help.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the activity is under an hour, water works fine for me. If the activity gets to be more extended, some kind of power drink or gatoraid works well to help with energy and replace nutirents your body is losing.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
water unless i'm under duress (high temp, more intense than usual workout, got the sniffles), then gatorade cut about 50/50 with water.

the ads sound like standard marketing hooey, but boy them electrolytes really help.

has anybody else here tried drinking gatorade when you're sick? i swear it does me a world of good then, too.

I have heard others say this as well..somehow I just can't even think of doing it myself. Perhaps I need to make my own like elder999 does.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elder999 said:
I do use energy drinks and sport drinks like Gatorade, but I also prepare my own sport drink by adding a little more than a tablespoon of frozen concentrated orange or pineapple juice to a quart of water, with about a little less than 1//4 teaspoon of sea-salt.

I do this also - though I prefer to cut the fruit and squeeze it fresh, myself. Nothing elaborate - just hand-squeeze the fruit into the water, add a pinch of sea salt. That's electrolytes from Mother Earth, and likely the best, fastest delivery you can get.

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I prefer water with a slice of citrus fruit because I'm a big fan of electrolytes and it's really important to keep them balanced.

So when I drink a "sports" drink, I like to get Powerade in either liquid form and water it down A LOT, or in powder form and mix it really weak. It's enough to keep the electrolytes up.

Thanks for that tip I will do this.

Sweet! :asian:

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me I prefer the Whey protein isolate shake. Just a scoop or two in some water and boom done. Get aminos, glucosomene and vitamins with my water.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
I drink water before, during and after workouts. A sports drink on occassion just before and as I start training.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Water generally tastes better and quenches better. Other times, when the workout is longer than one hour and is cardio--usually doing back to back class w/black belt class as the second class, I take Shaklee Performance--a mildly sweeter drink with electrolytes and carbs made with fructose. I survived three-3 hr. black belt tests on Performance, so would recommend it! TW

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Water generally tastes better and quenches better. Other times, when the workout is longer than one hour and is cardio--usually doing back to back class w/black belt class as the second class, I take Shaklee Performance--a mildly sweeter drink with electrolytes and carbs made with fructose. I survived three-3 hr. black belt tests on Performance, so would recommend it! TW

Shaklee has some great products!!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I am a big fan of water when working out. I can't really even imagine drinking one of those power drinks, they taste too sweet to me.

How about you? Water or a sport drink. Which sport drink do you prefer?

Cola.

Latest Discussions