Water on the Training Floor

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my first Kung Fu school everyone brought water bottles to class. When I started training at my current school, I brought my water bottle and was told that water is not allowed on the training floor. So, if we need water, we ask to get some, have to leave the training floor, then ask to re-enter.

We train very hard, and I NEED water when I'm training like that, so I'll ask once each class to be excused for water. I'd like more, but don't want to repeatedly ask (and be a wimp), nor do I want to waste more time getting it. We have to wait to get the instructors attention to ask, then wait again for the instructors attention for permission to re-enter.

Well, at Monday's class, just about every student asked to be excused for water. The instructor told us we could bring bottles of water and set them against the wall on the training floor. That way there wouldn't be so many interruptions and so much training time lost.

So, last night, my training partner and I brought bottles of water. It was wonderful. I felt much more energized in my training, refreshed and able to continue training harder than I normally can.

About 2/3 through the class, the instructor, a Senior to our Monday night instructor told us: in the future, ask permission for water. I replied saying, Sihing *X* told us we could. We were told that water is not allowed on the training floor and to please just ask to be excused if we need water.

So, back to no more water while training.

Being able to drink water while training helps me alot. We sweat like crazy, and I noticed such a huge difference in my energy level just that one class.

I always thought is was an unusual rule, but it's not my place to debate. Nor is it my place to ask for bending the kwoon rules. But I am perplexed by it. It's only water, and it seems essential to a hard workout. I need more than one brief water break to really get the most out of myself while training.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone else have a "water restriction" rule? Is there some tradition I don't know about? I just don't get the deal.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't allow water bottles on to the actual mats but as we train in quite a small room the bottles are placed actually within arms reach. We have to have water while training and we can get a drink any time we need one which is very often. Our training regime is slightly different as we train MMA and don't have to excuse oursleves to get a drink. The childrens class is TSD which is more formal and we make sure especially in warmer weather than they drink regularly.
I would suggest you all keep asking to be excused for water as many times as you need and perhaps they'll take the hint?

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
We do not allow water on the floor period. If we need it, we have to ask to be excused from training, and then wait to be bowed back into class. People have abused the water in the past and this is why we have to do it this way.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've had children abuse the water policy but it's pretty obvious when they do it. As to the adult classes, water isn't allowed on the floor but is allowed in the gallery bordering the mat. Getting water generally varies by instructor. When I'm instructing if a student wants water all they have to do is make eye contact with me and glance toward the gallery. I nod, they go get their water and return ASAP, no need to bow back in. Hydration is too important to allow a stuffy rule or two to run the risk of detriments to folks health.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are allowed to bring water. But we keep it out of the training area. Also, we can go and get it without having all the formalities. However, out of respect to our training partners, we don't just drop out in the middle of training with them, rather wait for an opening... :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our way is the same as Mr. Russ describes above. It's just as well because I'm one of those people who could sweat in a blizzard. That's why I have several sets of hakama and iaigi - salt 'angels' and black linen are not an aesthetic combination :eek:.

It has to be said, mind you, that I drink more when I'm instructing - kata + verbage = thirst :lol:.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Water, gatorade, etc. can be had anytime during training if needed. I have everyone just put it off to the side so that it is always available and out of the way.
icon6.gif
Not allowing people to hydrate is just not good training practice but also just a power play.

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Water is essential to have nearby when we practice armoured fighting - the close-to-zero airflow allowed by plate armour, it's ability to rapidly heat up under the sun, the amount of padding and the added weight combined grant that you'll sweat like never before. Those who got used to it only start sweating after about 5 minutes of aggressive fighting... At a three day long event which we fought through in blackened armour we drank more than 8 litres each day.
For indoors practice it's also rather useful... while drinking does take away time from practice, being dehydrated thus getting weaker and less focused takes away more. Especially if that lessened focus causes an injury.
Sometimes we do have long training sessions without drinking to get used to abnormal conditions, but the only use of this is only that - getting used to abnormal conditions. You won't be able to train at top efficiency when dehydrated and most likely won't be able to truly learn new things.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Water, gatorade, etc. can be had anytime during training if needed. I have everyone just put it off to the side so that it is always available and out of the way.
icon6.gif
Not allowing people to hydrate is just not good training practice but also just a power play.

Too right buddy!

The amount of sweat one can lose in an intense training session in heat can be dangerous to your health. Why neglect your students of it for a rule that makes no sense.

If it's not in the way and off to the side then what harm is it doing to the instructors? I honestly have never encountered this anywhere that I have trained over the years. I feel slightly gobsmacked at the thought of it!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was first coming up, my school disouraged drinks and breaks, trying to instil a "toughness" and warrior spirit...we had to sneak a drink when we were changing into our sparring gear and such.

As I get older and learn more (notice I can't honestly say "wiser"), I understand that hydration is a VERY important part of sports physiology and conditioning. It makes little sense for an adult to have to ask me for permission to hydrate when failure to do so will adversly impact his training.

Now days I believe firmly in known, scheduled breaks for hydration - short in duration - strategically placed so as to be predictable and efficient. Setting a time limit on such a break helps prevent those who will take the opportunity to be lazy from milking it for all its worth.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stone dragone about sumed it up for they way i trained when young and what I now allow my class.
The only trouble I have is when people spill water or whatever in the area we are practicing in. It takes time to clean up and someone might fall (slip) if it is not noticed

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No water on the training floor period, now with that being said if someone needs water they are excuse to go get some. Now there are limit to this they cannot leave the mat every two minute and choke down a gallon of water, people that train need to sip a little at a time to keep the body correct.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do not keep water on the floor, but you don't really need to ask to get some. Our Sensei ferquently tells us to go get water when we need it. When you are dehydrated you lose brain function. Didn't know that, did you? Something to think about.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I was first coming up, my school disouraged drinks and breaks, trying to instil a "toughness" and warrior spirit...we had to sneak a drink when we were changing into our sparring gear and such.

As I get older and learn more (notice I can't honestly say "wiser"), I understand that hydration is a VERY important part of sports physiology and conditioning. It makes little sense for an adult to have to ask me for permission to hydrate when failure to do so will adversly impact his training.

Now days I believe firmly in known, scheduled breaks for hydration - short in duration - strategically placed so as to be predictable and efficient. Setting a time limit on such a break helps prevent those who will take the opportunity to be lazy from milking it for all its worth.

This is what we do, as well. Scheduled breaks. On hot days, maybe an extra break. If someone's really hurting for hydration, they can request.

Water bottles on the training floor allow for spills and possibly tripping.

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In our class we are allowed to bring water bottles if we leave them at the back of the room with our gear. There is also a water fountain down the hall from where our training room is. The only thing is the water barely comes out and you have to almost put your mouth on the spicket to get some. Yuck. So now I've learned and have started bringing a water bottle.

Usually there will be once or twice over our two hour period that the instructor will tell us to take a quick water break. Usually it's just after exercises and everyone comes and lines back up. This encourages the ones who would try and hydrate themselves to the point of feeling waterlogged as they know everyone else is waiting for them back in the training room. Depending on how intense our workout is that night, we're usually allowed at least one more break for water. If someone is starting to feel sick or whatnot, they can ask the instructor if they can go get some water.

Zeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At the dojo I attend water is definitely allowed and actually supplied by the sensei, but it can't be brought onto the mats. It has to stay on a divider between the training area and the entrance area.

It'd be just a little weird to simply break away from what we're doing to take a few gulps of water, so we wait for appropriate times, which our sensei usually tells us of. If something intense is coming up after something intense we just did, he gives us around a minute or so to get some water.

It's great and helps a lot. Of course, I offered to bring water for a friend once, and now I'm bringing it for around three people. lol

Though our sensei offers us water, most tend to bring their own, just because we don't want to take all of his water, even though I believe that's what it's there for. :p

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At the dojo I teach part-time, the head instructor has no problem with having water bottles sit at the edge of the training mats. Nor is it an issue to take a quick water break when needed. I personally don't like the idea of losing training time, so if I know that there is a hard and fast rule of no water bottles on or near the mat, and you have to essentially have to interrupt training time for a water break, then I would just try to hydrate properly before training and have it carry me through it. However, given the times and if I know my students are training hard and they need to grab water, I like to think I can recognize the need to take a quick 2 mins for water too!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In one of my schools, water is not only forbidden, but discouraged...not only on the training floor, but during class at all. Some people bring it, but keep it away from the training floor...there are no excuses to go drink water. Very traditional, but in my opinion, very dangerous and kind of silly. I've heard that it is to build toughness and that "water is for the weak." Personal opinion - water is necessary for life.

Other school, we get frequent scheduled water breaks. After each segment of training a short water break. Water is provided. Two completely different approaches. I don't always get water, but I definately appreciate the opportunity.

Kids, IMO are different, their breaks should be directed with limited time. Adults, should not have to ask or use formalities...jsut go get it and come back. Water is essential and shouldn't be restricted. I agree with not having it on the floor....but restricting it completely just seems silly to me.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it appears this in not as unusual as I first thought. For the record, this is an adult class, NO ONE abuses water breaks and we are never denied a water request. Our training floor is carpeted. No mats. And my training partner and I had our bottles placed on the floor behind us, closed, and against the wall so as not to have any spillage or get in the way.

I can totally understand the abuse thing, and I would NEVER do that, but for me, training hard requires regular rehydration. And let's not forget, I'm 44-years-old, the oldest student in my class. My training partner is 24.
I. Need. Water.

I respect the rules and my instructors however, and abide by them. It just seems like an unnecessary rule.

Unless you're teaching a children's class where it might be abused, and the adults keep water bottles off to the side and out of the way, what would be the reasons for disallowing it?

Latest Discussions