Water is your friend.

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Quick question to everyone out there: How much water do you drink in a training session?

I drink 2 L of still water.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That stuff is dangerous! Have you ever inhaled it?

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't drink tons of water while I am training either. Like JR137 said it builds character :). That being said, I drink 2 litres of water a day minimum. Keeping well hydrated over the course of the day is better than drinking lots of water during the workout.

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't drink tons of water while I am training either. Like JR137 said it builds character :). That being said, I drink 2 litres of water a day minimum. Keeping well hydrated over the course of the day is better than drinking lots of water during the workout.

I see, I guess I drink water like a man possessed, around 8 L per day.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
None. And we don’t have air conditioning.

I’ve got to be honest, I don’t think that’s smart training, especially if it is hot weather/environment. I’m not saying you need to drink a certain amount of water. But when training and sweating, you need to replenish your fluids as you go. Denying yourself that is not a smart “character building” exercise. There are very real health risks involved, like heat stroke.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In our normal classes, 1 hour session, our master doesn't let us drink water (unless it's an emergency). He wants us to build up our stamina.

In our Taekwondo sparring class, which is a bit higher physical demand and is a bit longer, we get a few water breaks.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve got to be honest, I don’t think that’s smart training, especially if it is hot weather/environment. I’m not saying you need to drink a certain amount of water. But when training and sweating, you need to replenish your fluids as you go. Denying yourself that is not a smart “character building” exercise. There are very real health risks involved, like heat stroke.

Depends on how long a training session is.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be some bruce lee style philosophy thread....that guy loved talking about water

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quick question to everyone out there: How much water do you drink in a training session?
None. When I train I train, only. I don’t feel thirsty or hungry or whatever. These things can wait a bit, can’t they?

I drink after training. Eventually before as well.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I certainly understand replenishing fluids and proper hydration. Not saying that proper hydration isn't important because it is. Drinking water while you are training is not necessarily the best way to hydrate your body though.

Always better to hydrate throughout the day (especially a few days before a strenuous activity) than it is to hydrate during the activity. The water actually has no time to be absorbed by the body and you run the risk of going back to the floor with a full belly of water. The most I would recommend is to wet the inside of your mouth or take a few small sips but other than that I would leave the drinking until after.

Retrofit

White Belt
Reaction score
I train kyokushin, and in our Dojo, you are not allowed to drink during the training. As someone said, it is only a superficial feeling of comfort to drink during high intense workouts since the water doesn't have time to be absorbed by the body anyway.
So we always make sure to drink plenty before the session (usually all over the day) and then of course straight after the session.

Also, I think it is mental strength, to be able to control your needs for a few hours. :)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I train kyokushin, and in our Dojo, you are not allowed to drink during the training. As someone said, it is only a superficial feeling of comfort to drink during high intense workouts since the water doesn't have time to be absorbed by the body anyway.
So we always make sure to drink plenty before the session (usually all over the day) and then of course straight after the session.

Also, I think it is mental strength, to be able to control your needs for a few hours. :)
Osu, I was wondering if there were any other people that train in Kyokushin in this forum. I too train in Kyokushin, in the Montreal area.

Retrofit

White Belt
Reaction score
Osu! I'm glad to already find others training Kyokushin, it is my main point of joining this forum tonight.
I am training in Sweden, so we are far from eachother, but if your profile is correct you have graded 10th kyu? My congratulations, my grading is yet to come! If you want to have a chat, feel free to message me, so we don't litter the forum post.

Latest Discussions