Feeling sick during/after training

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick question, is feeling sick and shaky during training a sign of lack of a particular type of food group or dehydration? I assumed it was dehydration and have drank 1litre of water in half and hour, but I still don't feel right. I am normally fine and have had harder sessions, but have felt like this 2days running and want to prevent it again... And no, I'm not pregnant! Lol ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should hydrate well before training rather than drink the lot during your session. There's loads of bugs going around at the moment could just be that.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a quick question, is feeling sick and shaky during training a sign of lack of a particular type of food group or dehydration? I assumed it was dehydration and have drank 1litre of water in half and hour, but I still don't feel right. I am normally fine and have had harder sessions, but have felt like this 2days running and want to prevent it again... And no, I'm not pregnant! Lol ;)

First, see a doctor. I'm not one. There are a couple here, but they can't give you medical advice without seeing you either.

From experience, I can say that I have felt that way in the dojo, and it's due to my diabetes - blood sugar goes up and down and causes nausea, light-headedness, dizziness, and the shakes at times. You really need to get yourself checked by a medical professional.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Consult a Doctor.

And i wouldnt advise training through it if its a bug.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, away to the quacks, Malteaser. Even if all they do is tell you not to worry, you at least have that reassurance. It could be blood pressure, blood sugar, or an evil little bug ... the bone shakers will be able to eliminate two out of three in short order.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be nothing more than that you've dug deep into and through your energy reserves, and your tank is absolutely rock-bottom empty. Or a passing illness. Doesn't quite sound like dehydration.

You might try a snack before class, something that balances some sugars and starches and protein.

But you should also run it by a doc just to be sure...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

As others have said, I'd go to the doc and get checked out. Perhaps a blood test would reveal something. However, in the meantime, what is the time frame between the last time you eat and your class? You may want to consider eating something light, ie: fruit, oatmeal, etc, maybe 1-1 1/2hrs before class time. I get home from work around 430pm. My class starts at 630pm. I usually eat a small bowl of oatmeal before class. Something to hold me over, give me a little energy, but still light enough that I won't feel like I'm going to puke in the middle of class. LOL. One time I ate a bit heavier and a bit more than I usually do. I was lucky, very lucky that day..lol.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great advice to see a doctor. It could be serious, but most likely is something simple. Either way you want to know so you can continue your MA practice.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, see a doctor. I'm not one. There are a couple here, but they can't give you medical advice without seeing you either.

From experience, I can say that I have felt that way in the dojo, and it's due to my diabetes - blood sugar goes up and down and causes nausea, light-headedness, dizziness, and the shakes at times. You really need to get yourself checked by a medical professional.
I agree you must go and consult a good physician!!! see your doctor, could be something minor, or something serious like Diabetes!!! Do NOT let this go!!!

OP
M

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It hasn't happened since I posted this, but I'm eating sensibly and hydrated before training. If it does happen again I will take your advice and visit my doctor though.

Thanks again :)