Was the Iraq Invasion Worthwhile? Ask an Iraqi

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Was the Iraq Invasion Worthwhile? Ask an Iraqi[/h] By Jeffrey Goldberg - Apr 8, 2013 Bloomberg EXCERPT:

In a recent interview with the New York Times, the writer Toni Morrison said, “I dare you to tell me a sane reason we went to Iraq.”
Her request is not unreasonable. We’ve heard similar arguments a lot over the past few weeks, as we marked the 10th anniversary of the war. There is widespread agreement that the American invasion of Iraq was provoked by a series of lies, neuroses, venalities and delusions.
<<<SNIP>>>Today, Salih is the chairman of the board of the American University of Iraq in Sulaimani, which provides a liberal education in a place not previously known for such a phenomenon. In recent years, Salih has served as both the deputy prime minister of Iraq and as prime minister of the Kurdish regional government. He was in the camp of people who argued that Saddam’s decision to commit genocide against Iraqi Kurds (sometimes with chemical weapons) in the late 1980s made his removal a moral imperative.
I asked him if he thought the invasion was worth it.
“From the perspective of the Kurdish people -- and I dare say the majority of the Iraqi people -- it was worth it,” he said. “War is never a good option, but given our history and the brutality of Saddam’s regime, it may have been the only other option to end the genocidal campaign waged by Saddam against the Kurds and other communities in Iraq.”
Here is where his answer became a lament. “I must admit, however, that 10 years on, Iraq’s transition is, to say the least, characterized by unrealized expectations, both for Iraqis and for our American liberators. Iraq is not the friendly democracy that the U.S. had hoped for, and it is far from the secure, inclusive democracy that Iraqis deserved and aspired to.”
<<<SNIP>>>“All Iraqis lived under a regime that had complete disdain for human life,” he said. “Executions and killings continued at will. Thousands of Iraqis were being sent to the mass graves. The Kurds were never safe as they knew that Saddam could at any time decide to reconquer the no-fly zone.”

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Executions and killings continued at will. Thousands of Iraqis were being sent to the mass graves.
Cue the "If it only saves one life" crowd...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good article as far as it goes, Don. I had hoped for more than a spokes-person you would expect to be in favour of the invasion given their current position. I do agree tho' that the 'native' leadership squandered a golden opportunity to take an opening and go for something better than they had before. If nothing else it would have made the slaughter have a consequence we, the West, had a chance to be proud of.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a spokes-person you would expect to be in favour of the invasion given their current position.
Yeah, saving his *** probably makes him biased...
I do agree tho' that the 'native' leadership squandered a golden opportunity to take an opening and go for something better than they had before. If nothing else it would have made the slaughter have a consequence we, the West, had a chance to be proud of.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh aye, no argument about his personal reasons, my friend. I was just hoping that the article was going to open up and range wider from that opening gambit (of course I may have missed some additional pages?).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, for the Kurdish people it was a winning scenario--in part because they seek greater autonomy and made moves in that direction during the war.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, for the Kurdish people it was a winning scenario--in part because they seek greater autonomy and made moves in that direction during the war.

That and we kinda took out the guy that kept using the chemical weapons he never had on them...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

yep, ask a Kurd, he'll nod his head.

Ask an Iraqi woman? I am sure her answer would be different.

Oh, silly me. Women don't count.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After ten years...I think I just want to move on. Tired of war... I realize it's not going away anytime soon... but tired nonetheless.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was it worth the US taxpayers who aren't even born 7 trillion dollars? Was it worth millions of refugees and over a million dead? Was it worth the pollution and destruction of the country?