was once the student

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
has your skill in wingchun exceeded that of your current teacher or peers, and if so how did that affect you and them ?.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
has your skill in wingchun exceeded that of your current teacher or peers, and if so how did that affect you and them ?.

Often one student will advance faster than others, at least in one or another facet of the art such as forms, chi-sau, sparing, comprehension of technique, and so forth. Occaisionally, a single student learns very rapidly in all these areas. The same is true in any field of human endeavor. If you are so gifted, great! Just try not to get a big head, or you may think you know more than you actually do! I have met people with tremendous talent. Back in the 80s, for example, a young man surfaced in the German branch of the WT system I studied who had superb skills as a fighter. He could kick all our butts. His name is Emin Boztepe. Another student, who I personally coached on one occaision had a remarkable command of technique, a photographic memory for forms, and terrific sensitivity in chi-sau. His name is Jeff Webb and he is now my teacher. But for each of these rare prodigies, I've seen dozens of hot shot kids who scored one lucky hit on their teacher and suddenly thought they were "all that!" Several of these immature kids-with-attitude even tried to found their own systems after a just a couple years of training. In a way, I feel sorry for them because they missed out on so much that they could have learned. Remember, agood Sifu may no longer be the best fighter there is, but he should be the wisest, most experienced coach you can find.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my journey up through the ranks i encountered instructors that had an almost encyclopedia like knowledge of techniques and forms , they could tell you some minute detail that would improve what ever you were working on .

But they did not have the mongrel in them as one of my old instructors would say , they didn't have that killer instinct. They weren't fighters per se , they were more intellectuals .

They could teach very well but they didn't really inspire people with their practical skills . On the other side of the coin i have been taught by instructors that were truly terrifying with their displays of speed , power and skill and their general demeanor.

But as impressive as they were these people could not communicate properly and transmit the knowledge to the students , so you ended up basically just copying them and hoping you were doing the technique correct.

I think you can learn something off both types of teachers , with the intellectual type you can learn the nuts and bolts of the technique and with the fighter type you can emulate and be inspired by their practical skill.
Also what about in boxing , the coach may not have been a champion fighter himself but can still produce champion fighters.

But if you believe you have truly surpassed the skill of your teacher then it sounds like you are a big fish in a small pond and you need to find a place where you will be a small fish in a big pond.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great posts guys, totally agree.

I was a fast learner and my WC was aggressive and not that pretty, another guy was excellent at forms etc and was what i wanted to look like. Sparring wise we were evenly matched.

We rose up through the ranks and both of us were "promising" students and we really liked training together as we were so different.

What happened?

I stopped WC due to wine, women and song...and personal reasons.

He carried on and took on a bigger role in the club, helping teaching and in the end meeting Kevin Chan and training with him when he could (as we are not in the UK).

When i came back to WC last year, he was my sifu.

How did i feel? happy as i knew he was a good student back in the day and had done the hard work and dedication that i had not.

Since then the little club he had has broken up as others do not have the dedication to turn up twice per week.

I went to see him 2 weeks ago and we are waiting for my back to get stronger so we do one to one training.

So, whilst my post is not 100% relative i thought it might interest readers.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my journey up through the ranks i encountered instructors that had an almost encyclopedia like knowledge of techniques and forms , they could tell you some minute detail that would improve what ever you were working on ...They weren't fighters per se , they were more intellectuals...

On the other side of the coin i have been taught by instructors that were truly terrifying with their displays of speed , power and skill and their general demeanor.But as impressive as they were these people could not communicate properly and transmit the knowledge to the students...

I think you can learn something off both types of teachers...

Very true. The accounts that I've heard say that Grandmaster Yip Man's first teacher, Chan Wah Shun was of the second type, an unsurpassed fighter. Later, as a student in Hong Kong, Yip Man met Leung Bic, son of Chan Wah Shun's teacher, Leung Jan. He was an educated man...or as you put it, more of an intellectual. Grandmaster Yip was that rare individual who was both intellectual and a fighter, and the rest is history.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Surpassing the ability of other students happens. There are always those that learn faster and advance faster than others. The object is not to gauge your learning on others but to always challenge yourself to learn more.
Now if you surpass the knowledge and ability of your instructor it might be time to find a different instructor. I do not know how you would have more knowledge than your instructor unless you where studying with more than one because if you have only one instructor he is the source of your knowledge

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
if you have only one instructor he is the source of your knowledge

i have 2 instructors one is the student of the other,but apart from that when you say he is the source of my knowledge it dont end with the class it continues with my own personal study and training .

sources of knowledge are everywhere .

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I love that story told by Chris Crudelli on Kick *ss Moves.
He mentioned that the puppy asked the cat to teach him how to move.
After years of practising the dog turned on the cat and the cat ran up the tree.
The dog asked him how he did that and the cat replied that that was the one thing he did not teach him

Sometimes it is good to keep a few secrets...

Latest Discussions