its not the same

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes boxers are formidable , they only know 4 punches but they can do them very well , they are also highly conditioned and they are used to being hit.
One thing they are not used to however is being kicked in the legs . Use the low heel kick to attack his kneecap or shins , that lead leg of theirs is sticking right out asking for it .

Use the low heel kick to keep him at bay , it doesn't matter how good his punches are if he can't get in range to use them . If he is a very tall bloke you might want to use your heel kick to the groin to maximise your range and keep his hands away from you .

The pain of the kick causes a distraction and then you step in and shut him down with your hands. On a side note years ago we had a state champion boxer come in to start training with us , he wanted to see what i would do against his double and triple jabs .

He stayed out of range because he was scared i was going to kick him and i said i would only use hands , so he came in with a jab and i intercepted it with my own punch and stuck to his wrist with my fook sau . The look on his face was priceless as he kept on retreating and trying to rechamber his jab with my fook sau stuck to his wrist , eventually i pinned his lead hand and trapped him.

Matsu don't be so down on your self , you have only been training for six months , and it sounds like the blokes you are sparring are pretty experienced fighters , personally i think it is too early for you to be doing full on sparring .

I reckon at this early stage you should be doing a limited version of sparring such as defending against only random straight punches , or only random roundhouse punches and so on .
This way you are eased into sparring gently with out being overwhelmed by the experience .

But at least you are pressure testing yourself which is more than what most people do , i have seen people who came into training and never raise a sweat and just do light chi sau and talk about what they did on the weekend and they do that for years.

They never seem to understand the martial bit in the words martial art. Anyway it is more likely you will face an untrained drunken yob in the street than a trained fighter , trained blokes know what they can do and don't go looking for trouble it's mostly the wannabees that you have to watch out for.

So don't be hard on yourself you will learn from the hits you recieve by analysing why you got hit , and how you got hit and making sure you fix up the chinks in your armour so you don't get hit in the future .

Don't worry you will go through this again it's all about getting your ego knocked down and you building it up again , if we didn't make any mistakes we wouldn't learn.

I remember reading once that the great Wong Shun Leung said that it was perfectly normal that in a real fight you would wear a couple of punches on your own body , and you couldn't expect to get out of it totally unscathed.
So chalk it up to experience and put it behind you matey :)

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
thats great advice mook both on dealing with boxers and our own failures at sparing like you say even the greats wear a punch or two when they fight

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
mook
i wanted to say a big big thanks. your advice is as always spot on and very helpul.motivating to push thru some harder times big fanx bud!

i am not too down, just fustrated mate.
our sparring session was a more or less one off as we had a sifu covering an illness.he is absouleutely brilliant to watch listen and learn from.
we generallly dont spar per say regularly yet. although my mate matt is real keen on getting to that level and i,m not letting him get that much better than me!!!!:soapbox:

today was drop in sesh so a few of us worked on weak areas and again matt wanted to spar so i tried to do better than thurs...which i did. sifu was there again and he showed me some def areas which wil improve.
our biggest mistakes as beginners is distance and almost point scoring in a determined effort to get a certain movement right rather than moving in and closing the oppononet down and tieing them up.
i learnt so much today that my head hurts so i will work on it this afternnon once me lunch has gone down lol.

so again thank you all for you support and helpful advice.
i am enjoying this journey,but looking forward to getting out of neutral and into first gear hahahaha.
matsu

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I reckon at this early stage you should be doing a limited version of sparring such as defending against only random straight punches , or only random roundhouse punches and so on .
This way you are eased into sparring gently with out being overwhelmed by the experience .

But at least you are pressure testing yourself which is more than what most people do , i have seen people who came into training and never raise a sweat and just do light chi sau and talk about what they did on the weekend and they do that for years.

this is exacty the advice i was given today!
also to find two moves that "work" for me and refine them. this will give me confidence and an answer to many oppononents!

thanks again,
matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah you do need tomix up your training. Sometimes go a little light, mainly to help out those around you whilst still focusing on little things you need to improve. Then go intense and work up a sweat. If you are too intense all the time you won't be a flexible fighter or training partner!

As for boxers, they are among the best hitters in the world, because that is what they train. The best way to deal with a boxer is to wrap them in a clinch where your close quarter strikes will work better than their hits. Just don't let them get any space or leverage or they will use it

If you attempt to out kick them you will be in for a nasty shock. Remember that they are used to closing distance very well. A kick is no difference. You are playing at a range that is comfortable to them. Your feet may be quick, but remember that you have to put your feet down at some point....

Latest Discussions