*WARNING - LINKS TO PAIN AND INJURY* how is this possible?

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
But if your technique is stronger than your tool, and you hit something hard something just has to give.

Yeah.....something like my wrist and forearm during my first ever clean breaking of the boards. To this very day, hammerfist is not a part of my personal skill set :lol:.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looking at how frail the human body is to begin with, would it be out of bounds to say that the human body is not a weapon and was never meant to be used as such? Perhaps that is why we humans are tool-users or are meant to be tool-users first and foremost? I am leaning more towards tools these days - the ole' body hasn't been so nice to me after all of these years of full-contact training :lol2:.

Well, I think that might be a good observation, but I think that it is a little deeper then that. The body is adaptable and will adapt to extreme amounts of stress. But, given that we are tool users, as a species we have evolved to not be as resilient as we perhaps were once before. Further, most of us don't push our bodies to that thin line between pain and injury to force the body to adapt to stress.

That said, I am a big advocate of tools. Our brains and adaptability is what has allowed us to survive, not our brawn.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah.....something like my wrist and forearm during my first ever clean breaking of the boards. To this very day, hammerfist is not a part of my personal skill set .

If you look at old boxing manuals and pictures you'll see a lot more body punching, backfists and hammer fists and a lot less jabbing and crossing to the head. An awful lot of matches ended when someone's hands were too broken to go on.

OP
T

Tuvok.

White Belt
Reaction score
well thats nice but for me its not clear
nobody I have seen in my life and never, that one that is a Profi have a Broken leg, only because a litle Bit Leg Kicking

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nobody I have seen in my life and never, that one that is a Profi have a Broken leg, only because a litle Bit Leg Kicking
Well, we've talked about it much here, trying to explain. Most people don't understand that kicking a person is a lot harder than kicking a bag.

Have a nice day.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me try explaining what happens when someone breaks their shin kicking someone...

It's not really hard to understand. The shin bones (there are really two of them) are relatively small bones; think of them as kind of like broomsticks. Now, if you hit a broomstick flat on a wall, it will rarely break, right? But... if you whack that broomstick against a lamp post about 1/2 or 2/3 down the broom stick... it's gonna snap, right? Someone kicks, and they hit at the wrong angle or with the wrong part of their leg, and their FOOT will continue on in the arc of the kick, even though the upper portion of their shin stopped on knee block or leg. Something's gotta give, just like that broomstick against the lamp post. (Why doesn't the blocking leg break? Frequently there's some flex in it -- and it's more stationary, not accellerating.)

Why'd the big pro wrestler's leg break when he jumped down? 'Cause the bones couldn't take the sudden application of his weight on them that way. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some hairline fractures (like shinsplints can be) that made that the weakest point in his leg, too.

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit that is some of the grossest stuff I've seen.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you look at old boxing manuals and pictures you'll see a lot more body punching, backfists and hammer fists and a lot less jabbing and crossing to the head. An awful lot of matches ended when someone's hands were too broken to go on.

Hehehe, now that's hardcore. People were swinging some serious heat back then to break both hands. I did not know that about boxing, thanks for the information :asian:. I am always learning new and interesting things on this site!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hehehe, now that's hardcore. People were swinging some serious heat back then to break both hands. I did not know that about boxing, thanks for the information :asian:. I am always learning new and interesting things on this site!
They were also fighting with no gloves... Head shots, hitting elbows, and so on will tend to break hands up, even if they are reasonably conditioned. You can eventually condition your hand to strike solid targets -- but people move, and you'll end up catching something wrong.

It's kind of instructive, to me, to notice the stances shown and used by the classic, bare-knuckle boxers, compared to modern boxers.