Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma?

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice. Shotokan huh? Cool. Machida is an impressive competitor. In the end though, I really don't see anything in his fighting that looks distinctively like "karate". Not saying the Karate didn't contribute to his fighting skills, just that in the end the things he works in the ring look much like what everyone else works.

The guy that has pulled off the stuff that looks like movie karate in competition, though, is Cung Le (yes, I know he's not a karate practitioner). His fight with Frank Shamrock was really impressive.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know if most people, including many karate practicioners, know how karate is supposed to actually look like.

The history in how the art was transmitted is so convoluted that their are a lot of misconceptions. The "big stance static karate block" is what most people see, but the actual art is far more nuanced.

Karate is much more of a clinching and close range striking/grappling art then people think. I don't know if many people, much less MMA people, practice this aspect of karate.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"Much less MMA people" do clinch stuff? Not sure if you're joking or not, but all MMA people train clinch.

Actually I think the reference was to whether or not MMA folks learn their clinch prowess from karate, or from other arts such as judo, bjj, Muay Thai etc...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually I think the reference was to whether or not MMA folks learn their clinch prowess from karate, or from other arts such as judo, bjj, Muay Thai etc...

This is exactly what I meant. Most karateka do not practice the clinching that karate kata teaches.