Want to shrink my brand new gi

H

Hansson

Bought a gi today for my ju-jutsu training. Don't sure if I did the right choice though.

It's a special ju-jutsu gi (http://www.ju-jutsu.se/budo-shop/katalog/shogun_1.html) although it to me looks more like a karate gi than a judo gi.

The thing is I think it's too big and I feel stupid in it... :mad: ...but I don't want to take it back to the store (especially as they didn't have one sizes smaller in stock)... so I'll try to shrink it and then train really hard with it so I have to buy a new one soon... :D

The guy at the store said it wouldn't shrink much. I hope he's wrong!

My plan is to...
1) Put it in cold water for two hours (as was proposed on http://www.danzanryu.com/gi.html)
2) Wash machine at 60 degrees Celsius
3) Hang it in the dryer until it's dry

What do you think about that?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um, I've always heard that heat would shrink things better than cold water. I may be way off, but thats what has allways happened to my clothes I have shrunk.

7sm

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wash it at 90 degrees celcius. It should shrink somewhat, but that depens on how tight the frabric is.

I like to pratice in an oversized gi. Gives me movement are "air". And alot more frabric to pit up seat with.

/Yari

OP
E

Eraser

hey there..

Just give it to my sister.... she can shrink anything... :D

Naw.. my advice.. wash it.. then just have the pants and sleeves shortened up.... I got my mom to do mine.. (thanks MOM;) )
she would do yours too.. but the shipping charges would be enourmus.. LOL

Good luck!!

OP
A

artful dodger

You gonna end up with the proportions all wrong. I agree with Eraser. Just take it to a clothes alteration person. I'm in the middle of doing that at the moment. Got sent one top too small. Ordered another - that's too big. So I took them both in to be made the same size each out of the material from the too big one.

OP
S

Shinzu

wash it i hot water and dry it. if it is made from all cotton it should shrink.

if not get it altered as stated above :)

OP
H

Hansson

I washed in 90C and the dried it in a (don't know the English word but like a hot locker). It did shrink, although not much, but it's not too long anymore. I would like it to be a little shorter but I guess it will shrink a little more the next few times I wash it (probably in 60C).

Thanks for you help! :)

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just have your tailor put a hem in it along the cuffs of the pants or jacket. Should be really cheap.

OP
F

FLY

Originally posted by Hansson

I washed in 90C and the dried it in a (don't know the English word but like a hot locker). It did shrink, although not much, but it's not too long anymore. I would like it to be a little shorter but I guess it will shrink a little more the next few times I wash it (probably in 60C).

Thanks for you help! :)

I think that that is a safe assumption. I would wash and dry it at least 5 times before you get any alterations done on it. It would suck to get it shortened/altered and then have it shrink on you afterwards.

FLY.
:asian:

Latest Discussions