Question about Dobok Care

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I bought my daughter a new dobok, one of the canvas types - I think it's 10 oz. It's 45% polyester and 55% cotton. The directions say to wash in cold water and drip dry. I did that and spent 20 minutes steam-ironing the thing. Well, it looked very nice, I must say.

Some others in the Dojang say they put their canvas doboks in the dryer on low or medium. I tried that last night on low. The dobok shrunk some but my daughter claims it fits better now. Also, there are less wrinkles. (I still plan to steam iron it for her, spoiled thing.) So far, so good.

My question is: will the dobok shrink a bit more every time it goes into the dryer? I ask because there are some fabrics that just keep shrinking and shrinking and shrinking. I don't want it to shrink anymore. This dobok is a ProForce. Any ideas?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my daughter a new dobok, one of the canvas types - I think it's 10 oz. It's 45% polyester and 55% cotton. The directions say to wash in cold water and drip dry. I did that and spent 20 minutes steam-ironing the thing. Well, it looked very nice, I must say.

Some others in the Dojang say they put their canvas doboks in the dryer on low or medium. I tried that last night on low. The dobok shrunk some but my daughter claims it fits better now. Also, there are less wrinkles. (I still plan to steam iron it for her, spoiled thing.) So far, so good.

My question is: will the dobok shrink a bit more every time it goes into the dryer? I ask because there are some fabrics that just keep shrinking and shrinking and shrinking. I don't want it to shrink anymore. This dobok is a ProForce. Any ideas?

I wash my gi in cold. I put it in the dryer on a low setting for 10-15 min. I take it out and hang it to dry. It may take an extra day to a day and a half to finish, but I have yet to have any issues with shrinking.

Mike

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wash my gi in cold. I put it in the dryer on a low setting for 10-15 min. I take it out and hang it to dry. It may take an extra day to a day and a half to finish, but I have yet to have any issues with shrinking.

Mike
Day and a half? You must have one of the 14 oz. ones or heavier? It doesn't sour?

I can see the future - multiple doboks I'll need to buy!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Day and a half? You must have one of the 14 oz. ones or heavier? It doesn't sour?

I can see the future - multiple doboks I'll need to buy!

This is what I usually wear. Jacket and Pants. Like I said, I throw it in the dryer with a few bounce sheets for 10-15, take it out and let it air dry the rest of the way. Smells April fresh when its done. :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Cotton fabrics will shrink each time they get thrown into the dryer or hot wash, and will stop at a certain point.

This amount, though, can vary from material to material, since some tend to shrink more than others. Also, some cotton canvas materials are pre-shrunk, making them more resistant to the shrinkage.

If you want to avoid shrinking, then wash in cold, and hang dry. This may not be convenient for some, though, in which case, you'll just have to compromise.

In my case, I wash in warm water, and tumble dry using a low heat setting. The fabric will still shrink, but by the time it's even noticeable, I've already worn out the uniform.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I buy a canvas dobok for myself, I think I'll buy it one size too large. Really. Then it can go in the dryer.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wash mine on cold and dry on regular setting heh.
Although, it has shrunk a small amount over the years (my regular workout one). It's the 14 oz canvas cotton type. For the 'show' uniform I have it dry cleaned and pressed, I think it can stand up by itself now, but it hasn't learned the forms yet ;p.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wash mine on cold and dry on regular setting heh.
Although, it has shrunk a small amount over the years (my regular workout one). It's the 14 oz canvas cotton type. For the 'show' uniform I have it dry cleaned and pressed, I think it can stand up by itself now, but it hasn't learned the forms yet ;p.
Gee. I looked at the 14 oz. I think there's even a 16 oz? I think I would die from heat in either one.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gee. I looked at the 14 oz. I think there's even a 16 oz? I think I would die from heat in either one.

I actually find the heavier uniforms cooler since they do not stick to your body once they get a little wet. (Drawstrings are another matter, although some of the better brands like Tokon have fixed the problem.) Heavier uniforms also hold your sweat better. Since I am a heavy sweater, I just find it all around more pleasant to NOT walk around the dojo dripping moisture from my gi top.

I always wash my uniforms in cold water and air dry on a hanger. Roughly once a month, I will let them hang outside in the sun to air out and let the ultraviolet light kill any lingering germs. Works for me. My uniforms last for years.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto on the heat/sweat part. I find they're more comfortable by far for me. The light ones literally feel like pajamas to me heh.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
By the way, Lynne, machine drying your uniform will take years off its life. It's obvious intuitively when you look at all the dryer "lint" that collects in that little wire mesh holder. That's material coming off your gi.

If you don't have a problem with replacing your uniform every so often, then by all means, the dryer is a convenient device. On the other hand if you want your uniform to last for years and years (my sensei has a Shureido that is at least 20 years old he says), air drying is the way to go.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
By the way, Lynne, machine drying your uniform will take years off its life. It's obvious intuitively when you look at all the dryer "lint" that collects in that little wire mesh holder. That's material coming off your gi.

If you don't have a problem with replacing your uniform every so often, then by all means, the dryer is a convenient device. On the other hand if you want your uniform to last for years and years (my sensei has a Shureido that is at least 20 years old he says), air drying is the way to go.
I'm not for reducing the life of my dobok, not at all. Air drying is the way to go.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Way true on the uniform wear btw, I have some that are 8-10 years old, but most get threadbare after 5-6 years at least. Though usually it's just the patches that need replacing (school, judging certs etc).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cold wash and dip dry all of them, they seem to last a longer time also I also like the heavier ones.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, How we prepare our 16oz Dobak? Light salted, sprinkle garlic powder on one side and peper on the other side.

Baked at 325 Degrees, for 1 hour. Top half is usually serve first, follow by the bottoms.

We found the black ones are more tender than the white ones.

We try not to wash ours..........Aloha

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's good to hear the heavier weight are actually more comfortable and breathe better/don't stick.

I will continue to iron the doboks - they look so nice afterward. (Besides, it's a requirement ;) - though a lot of people ignore it.)

I do notice when other people's doboks look nice. I notice the owner and instructors have ironed doboks, too.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been doing internet searching on dobok care. Here are a few things I came across (feel free to add more tips):

1) never put your dobok in your duffle bag after class. It will start to breed bacteria which may cause odor problems. Fold your dobok top and pants nicely (in a square), fold your belt and lay it on top. Carry the dobok and belt. Folding the dobok nicely shows respect for your art. I don't know how to do the square fold yet, if there is a specific folding technique.

Starting today, I'm carrying my dobok and belt. Have you ever noticed how warm your bag and dobok is when you open your bag when you get home (unless you are leaving it in the bag overnight or days). I have always pulled my belt out, too, to let it air out. I do look forward to achieving a green belt someday, but not because of mold :D

Also, you might be able to prevent underarm stains by doing this.

2) if you put your dobok and belt in your bag, remove them as soon as you get home. Wash your dobok immediately. Once again, this is to keep down bacteria production.

3) if you do have a stinky dobok, there are various solutions. One is to soak the thing in the wash machine tub with laundry detergent and some bleach for a few hours. My concern would be fading of the patches and colored trim. But if it stinks, it stinks. Another is a load of white vinegar and water. Yet another is the use of baking soda. Then, there is washing soda. If it's only the underarms, my solution for BO-laden shirts might work. Wet the offending area with liquid laundry detergent. Heavily sprinkle baking soda on. Add enough water to make a paste. Let sit for at least 24 hours. Then wash normally with laundry detergent.

4) the best way to prevent stink is to shower before class.

KempoFlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I find that smell of fear from a rough test gets into a gi and takes years off its life alone. :karate:

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing internet searching on dobok care. Here are a few things I came across (feel free to add more tips):

1) never put your dobok in your duffle bag after class. It will start to breed bacteria which may cause odor problems. Fold your dobok top and pants nicely (in a square), fold your belt and lay it on top. Carry the dobok and belt. Folding the dobok nicely shows respect for your art. I don't know how to do the square fold yet, if there is a specific folding technique.
Well, yes it can spread bacteria, but it won't if you go straight home and put it in the laundry. You'd be surprised how little an asian will care for their uniform. I fold mine up and put it in my bag.... Come home and put it in the hamper. No problems with smells or dirt. And I wear 14oz or Tokaido...

Starting today, I'm carrying my dobok and belt. Have you ever noticed how warm your bag and dobok is when you open your bag when you get home (unless you are leaving it in the bag overnight or days). I have always pulled my belt out, too, to let it air out. I do look forward to achieving a green belt someday, but not because of mold :D

Also, you might be able to prevent underarm stains by doing this.

2) if you put your dobok and belt in your bag, remove them as soon as you get home. Wash your dobok immediately. Once again, this is to keep down bacteria production.

3) if you do have a stinky dobok, there are various solutions. One is to soak the thing in the wash machine tub with laundry detergent and some bleach for a few hours. My concern would be fading of the patches and colored trim. But if it stinks, it stinks. Another is a load of white vinegar and water. Yet another is the use of baking soda. Then, there is washing soda. If it's only the underarms, my solution for BO-laden shirts might work. Wet the offending area with liquid laundry detergent. Heavily sprinkle baking soda on. Add enough water to make a paste. Let sit for at least 24 hours. Then wash normally with laundry detergent.

4) the best way to prevent stink is to shower before class.

If you have a nice uniform (Tokaido, Shureido or other #10 canvas) don't use bleach. It wears on the uniform. Oxiclean is safer IMHO.