Want to build Retro AR15

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in the day, I carried an M16A1. That's me, lower left, at Camp Pendleton, CA back in about 1981.

394121_3063101931530_2072267461_n.jpg

I want to build an AR15 with the M16A1 design characteristics (semi-auto only, of course). That means I want the carrying handle, the A1 iron sights (not the A2 knob-adjusted click stops), the tear-drop style forward assist, and the triangular front stock assembly.

Any idea who might sell that upper receiver these days? I'm comfortable building the rifle myself, but I want what I want. I know more recent designs are 'better' but I want a close approximation of what I had, not something newer and 'better'.

Thanks!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brownell's.

Probably a couple of other outfits-don't care for the AR platform, myself, but lots of builds these days.

Quite honestly, I didn't want an AR15 until I started getting the distinct impression that I wasn't going to be permitted to have one. I'm kind of funny that way. Thanks for the tip, I found the stuff at Brownell's. I'm a Brownell's customer from back in the day when I actually had an FFL, but I don't anymore, so I'll have to find someone local who can order the lower for me.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly, I didn't want an AR15 until I started getting the distinct impression that I wasn't going to be permitted to have one. I'm kind of funny that way. Thanks for the tip, I found the stuff at Brownell's. I'm a Brownell's customer from back in the day when I actually had an FFL, but I don't anymore, so I'll have to find someone local who can order the lower for me.

Yeah, I'd recommend a gun show for that lower.......just sayin'

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just want to get a good lower that matches the A1 style upper. I believe the Brownell's solution will work for me, I just need an FFL holder to order it for me. I have no problems doing the necessary background check - those records are not stored in a central database per federal law. I have zero interest in registering anything, however, which is why I do not have a CCW.

Latest Discussions