Review: Kershaw "Chive" by Ken Onion

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got to say that the Scallion and the Chive are a little small for my taste. for you other guys out there that prefer a "sticker" with a longer blade you might also check out the Blackout and the Boa both of which are also, I believe, designed by Ken Onion. I had a Blackout for a short time but the lock was defective so I sent it back. however I'm sure mine was just a lemon. I don't care for the Boa personally because the assisted opening is too slow, it's almost as if they took the one off one of the smaller models and put it on that one and due to the blade length (approx. 4") it doesn't pop it out fast enough. Another Kershaw design that I've been impressed with is the Vapor, it's not assisted but it's still a pretty sweet knife.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you guys seen the SOG Blink? It looks like a direct competitor to the scallion/chive series in size and function.

Attachments

• $sog-bba-99_sm.jpg
    $sog-bba-99_sm.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 249

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
I picked up a scallion, its a little larger than the chive, but still small.

I like it. The opening mechanism works good as mentioned and the size is perfect for light carry.

Don't think I'll ever use the locking feature (locks the blade closed) or the thumb stud. Don't know why they even put it on the knife. I got the half serrated version and when I use the thumbstud, my thumb ends up on the bottom part of the blade because of the "assist" opening. You could probably get used to pulling the thumb back once the motion is started with practice though.

andy
I got the chive as my everyday executive style knife and its a good little knife. I wondered about the thumb stud for a while, it's useless for one handed opening. I think that the thumb stud is there for regions where a knife legally must open with two hands. The stud allows you to use two hands when necessary.

Jeff

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, I think the studs are what help keep the blade from swinging too far back when open. If you look at the knife with the blade out, you see that the studs rest into slight detents.

Cthulhu

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cthulhu said:
Actually, I think the studs are what help keep the blade from swinging too far back when open. If you look at the knife with the blade out, you see that the studs rest into slight detents.

Cthulhu
Agreed. It's remarkable how often the simple answer is the right answer.

:)

Jeff

S

Stick Dummy

I have a Chive that was purchased for formal wear, e.g. a Tuxedo wedding in a VERY FANCY downtown Manhattan, NYC location. It fit the bill perfectly with the addition of a small piece of skateboard tape to the non-clipped side.

I've found that with a pair of Levis - either watch or front pocket, if you grasp the bottom of the pocket clip while deploying, the button lock/safety usually releases, and could be removed or loctited open if necessary.

As far as not being "tactical", if the Chive is in my hand Sakal grip when needed, thats enough knife for me............. :asian:

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
I own a Chive and enjoy using it as an EDC...very elegant and fast opening with a viscious little blade. However I am no longer fond of it for self defense. I opened it up one day and went to town on my tire stack and it was tough to keep the little bugger from flying out my hands (which it did on many slashes and tabs).

Now I am back to my Spyderco Delica which is a LOT grippier, has a more menacing blade and is very light and fast. Of course when even more discretion is called for (such as client meetings) I still clip up my Chive.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
KyleShort said:
I own a Chive and enjoy using it as an EDC...very elegant and fast opening with a viscious little blade. However I am no longer fond of it for self defense. I opened it up one day and went to town on my tire stack and it was tough to keep the little bugger from flying out my hands (which it did on many slashes and tabs).

Now I am back to my Spyderco Delica which is a LOT grippier, has a more menacing blade and is very light and fast. Of course when even more discretion is called for (such as client meetings) I still clip up my Chive.

2 things.

#1 Change Grips. The handle fits my hand perfectly for an index finger grip (Index finger along the back of the blade) for non-lethal techniques. If I need to go lethal, I can easily switch to a different grip, like the "clip grip" (thumb facing blade to "clip" vitals). If you use a traditional grip, I agree that the chive is too small and will fly out of the hands. Changing your grip will make the tool effective.

#2 Skateboard grip tape: THis isn't nessicary, but can be helpful if it still slips out.

:asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pknox said:
do you guys know if Kershaw makes kitchen knives as well?
As a matter of fact, Kershaw DOES make kitchen knives as well, though you probably won't find them orderable in martial arts magazines. I find mine in Excalibur, a retail edged weapon, tool and supply store.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, though I usually remove the clip from my knives, I like to clip these little stickers to my bra straps and wherever else I can hide them.

Just a little advice for the other blade ladies out there.