Wall Bag Filler & Hanging

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember reading something about Wong Shun Leung , he apparently had ball bearings in his.
I dunno how that would go , wouldn't they get rusty from all the sweat going into the bag?

If they were stainless steel they shouldn't rust. If you have vinyl bag rather than canvas they shouldn't get sweaty. Whatever you do, don't use lead shot! You could get lead poisoning! I've heard of using copper BB's. The problem with any kind of dried bean is that if they get damp they are going to get moldy. Breathing that is also not good for your health.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading something about Wong Shun Leung , he apparently had ball bearings in his.
I dunno how that would go , wouldn't they get rusty from all the sweat going into the bag?

I would assume they would and I also prefer the mung bean filled wall bags over any of the other wall bags I've been able to try out.

I've tried Wall bags that have been filled with rice, pinto beans, rubber pallets & sand but the mung beans still had the best feel for me.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If they were stainless steel they shouldn't rust. If you have vinyl bag rather than canvas they shouldn't get sweaty. Whatever you do, don't use lead shot! You could get lead poisoning! I've heard of using copper BB's. The problem with any kind of dried bean is that if they get damp they are going to get moldy. Breathing that is also not good for your health.

KPM offers sage advice here Gents... Be wary of what you put in your wall bags and/or iron palm training bags etc!!!
On a side note: stainless steel spheres cost quite a bit when you consider how many are needed to fill up a standard size bag. :( almost broke my wallet that day

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i too have more or less the same problem :(

my landlord refused to allow me to put holes in the wall cos of them being stud ones so i had to use a freestanding frame that can collapse and be put away is use an extra 40kg on the frame to keep the frame still :)

the rdx bag that i've got weighs around 75lbs and it's full of recycled fabric material so if i want to make it denser then i can add my old clothes to it and repack it too make it even more dense :)

good luck :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
i too have more or less the same problem :(

my landlord refused to allow me to put holes in the wall cos of them being stud ones so i had to use a freestanding frame that can collapse and be put away is use an extra 40kg on the frame to keep the frame still :)

the rdx bag that i've got weighs around 75lbs and it's full of recycled fabric material so if i want to make it denser then i can add my old clothes to it and repack it too make it even more dense :)

good luck :)

Putting clothes in your heavy bag works well , Its just that they look so terrible when you take them out to put back on again.
It's hard to look all suave and man about town when one is getting about in an extremely wrinkled Armani suit don't you think?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Putting clothes in your heavy bag works well , Its just that they look so terrible when you take them out to put back on again.
It's hard to look all suave and man about town when one is getting about in an extremely wrinkled Armani suit don't you think?

Loving that idea ;)

was thinking more along the lines of noise and vibration dissipation cos the clothes / rags etc..... would absorb a lot of that and if you hang it on one of those freestanding frames then you'd be able to train indoors where it's warm and comfy :)

also what are you gunna do come winter ????? and you have to go outside where it's minus tuk knows whaat and you're nuts are frozen solid - hardly a good way to train is it cos you wouldn't get quality training without the use of a lot of deep heat ;)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Loving that idea ;)

was thinking more along the lines of noise and vibration dissipation cos the clothes / rags etc..... would absorb a lot of that and if you hang it on one of those freestanding frames then you'd be able to train indoors where it's warm and comfy :)

also what are you gunna do come winter ????? and you have to go outside where it's minus tuk knows whaat and you're nuts are frozen solid - hardly a good way to train is it cos you wouldn't get quality training without the use of a lot of deep heat ;)

Wouldn't of thought frozen nuts would be too much of an issue for you Donna.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score

The bag in my club is filled with 1/4" SS ball bearings. Although they are, of course, very hard, the nice thing is that they flow past each other on impact because of the low friction between balls. Thus the bag actually has a fair bit of give to it.

To each his own of course, but after using this bag, I'm never going back to rice and beans :)

There is also a piece of very thick but very supply leather sewed across the striking surface of the canvas bag. This results in a bag that holds up to a lot of wear and tear. The canvas doesn't chafe through and the contents don't get pulverized.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The bag in my club is filled with 1/4" SS ball bearings. Although they are, of course, very hard, the nice thing is that they flow past each other on impact because of the low friction between balls. Thus the bag actually has a fair bit of give to it.

To each his own of course, but after using this bag, I'm never going back to rice and beans :)

There is also a piece of very thick but very supply leather sewed across the striking surface of the canvas bag. This results in a bag that holds up to a lot of wear and tear. The canvas doesn't chafe through and the contents don't get pulverized.

You said low friction between the balls ..ha ha snicker, snicker.

Sorry , for a moment there I think I just may have been possessed by the spirit of a teenage boy.
My apologies.
But seriously , you bring up a very good point how does the friction coefficient of the material in the wall bag change the "feel'' when you hit it.
Maybe some type of plastic pellets could also be an option , something like nylon would be pretty frictionless I imagine.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Sorry , for a moment there I think I just may have been possessed by the spirit of a teenage boy.
My apologies.

Lol, have you been snorting the mung been powder again?

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score

My apologies.

Yeah, my last foray into adolescence got me dryly shunned so I won't continue down that road.
tempting tho it may be :EG:

But seriously , you bring up a very good point how does the friction coefficient of the material in the wall bag change the "feel'' when you hit it.
Maybe some type of plastic pellets could also be an option , something like nylon would be pretty frictionless I imagine.

Simply put, rice and beans will compact when hit, especially when they get a bit worn down and there is dust in the bag, and the fist will come to a jarring halt.
Ball bearings will displace the bearings behind and around the impact area and allow the fist to sink deeper into the target. You get a gentler decelleration of the punch. The difference is slight but noticeable.

IMO you get a good toughening impact to the knuckles but with less wear and tear to the elbows.

I don't know how plastic would perform, but intuitively I believe it would not give the way that bearings do. Nylon is an elastic material and will flow over time.
It also won't toughen your knuckles up much. Might as well use grapes. Have your students make your wine.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I personally use bb's or buckshot. You can purchase plastic bb's at your nearest craft store, or Walmart for that matter. i dont recommend buckshot unless you have been practicing the wall bag for a decent amount of time.

[edit]: i wouldn't recommend organic materials as they break down over time.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I personally use bb's or buckshot. You can purchase plastic bb's at your nearest craft store, or Walmart for that matter. i dont recommend buckshot unless you have been practicing the wall bag for a decent amount of time.

[edit]: i wouldn't recommend organic materials as they break down over time.

Normally, "buckshot" and it smaller cousins are made of lead, long term health hazard down the road, I personally would not use them.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Right, definitely stay away from lead. However there are other metals available in buckshot and bb form like iron among others.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just for the sake of posterity, I went for rice as the filler in the end due to availability and price, and a blanket behind rather than a pillow.

It takes a lot more rice than I first thought, but seems to work just fine.

The blanket is to protect the wall and the bag. Not sure how much it deadens the sound, the neighbours haven't complained yet but I'm only doing a few minutes at a time until the skin on my knuckles toughens up.

Or maybe I'm just not hitting it hard enough :)