Wall Bag Filler & Hanging

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Si-Hing said to use rice, do you guys agree or have any other suggestions?

I've heard some people prefer beans but not sure why, or even if I can buy them in sufficient quantity from my local supermarket.

Second point is that I live in a block of 8 flats and if I just bang my hand against the bare wall where I'm going to hang it it reverberates through the whole building, so to spare my neighbours I thought I might put a pillow or 2 behind it to try and lessen the noise.

Any reasons why I shouldn't?

Thanks in advance!

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
rice or mung beans...don't think it matters much so long as this phase of beginner wall bag training has a lot of "give" to it. You should only be using rice/beans/whatever for a few months before you'll be ready to move on.
Pillow behind it? Not recommended...but you are in a unique situation so you may have no choice! Depending on how the walls are constructed, you may be able to span several vertical uprights with a horizontal board...thus lessening the impact by dispersing it over a larger area. You could also create a "spacer" between the board mounted to the wall, and the board which is hanging your wall bag.
Good luck dude.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
rice or mung beans...don't think it matters much so long as this phase of beginner wall bag training has a lot of "give" to it. You should only be using rice/beans/whatever for a few months before you'll be ready to move on.
Pillow behind it? Not recommended...but you are in a unique situation so you may have no choice! Depending on how the walls are constructed, you may be able to span several vertical uprights with a horizontal board...thus lessening the impact by dispersing it over a larger area. You could also create a "spacer" between the board mounted to the wall, and the board which is hanging your wall bag.
Good luck dude.

Can you expand on why the pillow is not recommended? I know it's not ideal but what are the potential drawbacks?

I should also have said that I can't really have anything too elaborate behind it firstly because of space, but more importantly it's not my flat so I need to minimise the amount and size of the holes I put in the wall.

Cheers!

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally like to use sand as it has a little bit of give but not too much. Just make sure no moisture gets into it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you expand on why the pillow is not recommended? I know it's not ideal but what are the potential drawbacks?

I should also have said that I can't really have anything too elaborate behind it firstly because of space, but more importantly it's not my flat so I need to minimise the amount and size of the holes I put in the wall.

Cheers!

I thought about doing the same thing a while ago. I reasoned that the sound waves will concentrate into the pillow(s). Vibrations going outwards would spread the load as it were. The pillow would turn the waves into a lump and sound like a bass driver. That is how I saw it anyways. As Kwan Sau with the spacer, but maybe with a sound proofed tile wedged in there.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Well, I suppose, like most things in WC, stuff may be very lineage specific. However, most newer trainees think that wall bag training is all about the fist, conditioning the skin and knuckles etc. While these things may be true; wall bag training is mostly about training your horse. When your fist impacts the wall bag there is a little give to it. With your setup, there will be two distinct stages of "give" (i.e. rice and pillow instead of rice and hard surface of wall material) so your horse may never "feel" what it is supposed to feel.
Wow, I guess this is kind of difficult to put into words on a forum. Hopefully you can get an idea of what I'm trying to say(?).
There are also alternatives to wall mounts such as a stand-alone post/beam concept with wheel casters that you lock into position when training and/or add lots of weight to the device to minimize movement when you punch your wallbag hanging from it. Yet another idea is to use door-frames. Do some research and I bet you'll find a solution that is better than the pillow idea.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't think a pillows going to do much actually.
Why not buy a few jigsaw mats , glue them together and put that on the wall behind the wall bag .
I used mung beans as a filler in the past , they work great and you can get them cheap from Indian grocery stores.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I suppose, like most things in WC, stuff may be very lineage specific. However, most newer trainees think that wall bag training is all about the fist, conditioning the skin and knuckles etc. While these things may be true; wall bag training is mostly about training your horse. When your fist impacts the wall bag there is a little give to it. With your setup, there will be two distinct stages of "give" (i.e. rice and pillow instead of rice and hard surface of wall material) so your horse may never "feel" what it is supposed to feel.
Wow, I guess this is kind of difficult to put into words on a forum. Hopefully you can get an idea of what I'm trying to say(?).

Thanks, I thought there may be some reason(s) that I didn't know about.

To be honest my options are very limited as long as I'm living here, it will either be up against the bare wall or with something very light/simple behind it to lessen the noise.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought there may be some reason(s) that I didn't know about.

To be honest my options are very limited as long as I'm living here, it will either be up against the bare wall or with something very light/simple behind it to lessen the noise.

You have a tree outside somewhere , put a couple of nails in to hang it up , then take it back inside when your finished.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You have a tree outside somewhere , put a couple of nails in to hang it up , then take it back inside when your finished.

Who said I have tree?

The local parks do, but tbh the chances of me going and hitting a tree in a public park in London are slim at best!

It has been suggested to me before but I just don't fancy it. It becomes too much of an expedition to be convenient, and you'd have to expect to have to deal with mouthy youths. Call me a big girl's blouse if you like, but I'm not ready for that yet!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who said I have tree?

The local parks do, but tbh the chances of me going and hitting a tree in a public park in London are slim at best!

It has been suggested to me before but I just don't fancy it. It becomes too much of an expedition to be convenient, and you'd have to expect to have to deal with mouthy youths. Call me a big girl's blouse if you like, but I'm not ready for that yet!

Well tie one of the mouthy youths to a tree and hit them instead.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well tie one of the mouthy youths to a tree and hit them instead.

This is a thought however the youth would probably make quite a bit of noise; at least for the first several punches. LOL.

I have (6) 3 tier wall bags in my school with different material in them; 2 have chickpeas, 2 have rice, and 2 have sand. (different densities) Beginners start with the chickpeas as these bags are not as dense and is great to begin the tempering of their fist. Level II is the rice that is more dense and takes the student to a much higher level of tempering. 3rd level is the sand which is much more dense than the rice.

If noise was a concern I'd do as Mook and use a couple of the puzzle mats or something similar, maybe close cell foam.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he's got some carpentry skills he might be able to make a type of free standing frame out of wood to mount the wall bag on , with a board as a platform to stand on to keep it weighted down.
Have it all bolted together so you can take it all apart when you move.

Reminds me a bit of some footage of my late Sifu from the 70's , I didn't take much notice before when I watched it , but he's got a wooden dummy with some boards mounted on the side for kicking.
It looks like it's on wheels so it can move , bit of a multipurpose dummy as it were.
But I think for dummy mode you would want wheels on it that lock.
Anyone built something like that ?
I reckon its a good idea , I suppose you could just kick the dummy itself , but if you are kicking full bore you might end up breaking the rails.

It's at 1:56 in the clip.

[video=youtube_share;9CFayWM-OPc]http://youtu.be/9CFayWM-OPc[/video]

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anyone built something like that ?

Never built one but there was one in the kwoon when I was training there. It was great. Heavy, mobile, you could punch, palm, kick, etc and it would budge a little. We used to be required to do laps up and down the length of the kwoon floor. Very worthwhile device in my opinion.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Kwan Sau that one of the purposes of hitting the wall bag is to help develop stance and structure. You need something solid to hit so that you learn to handle the force bounced back at you. A pillow will negate that training effect. Putting puzzle mats behind the bag to muffle the noise probably won't placate the neighbors. Force is still doing to be sent in to the wall causing vibration and a "thumping" that they won't like. I agree with Mook that your best bet is to find someplace outside to hang up a bag and then take it back in when you are done. It doesn't have to be a tree. Maybe there is a concrete pillow on your building in a quiet place in the back. I've use just plain old dried black beans. I don't think there is anything magical about what you use as long as you have a something solid with a bit of "give" to strike.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used Mung Beans in my wall bag and it was much better then rice or other bean fillers ive seen used in other peoples bag.

It produces much less powder in my opinion and the little bit of powder it does produce is suppose to be medicinal. Don't know how but its just what I've heard.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used Mung Beans in my wall bag and it was much better then rice or other bean fillers ive seen used in other peoples bag.

It produces much less powder in my opinion and the little bit of powder it does produce is suppose to be medicinal. Don't know how but its just what I've heard.

That's why I always felt so much better after a thousand punches on the wall bag , I was inadvertently snorting Mung Bean powder and getting high.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's why I always felt so much better after a thousand punches on the wall bag , I was inadvertently snorting Mung Bean powder and getting high.

No thats because your using Sprung Beans.

But seriously I think it was from Leung Tings book and also a Ipman website that suggested mung beans and mentioned their medicinal effect.

I hated the pinto beans that my CLF school had in their wall bags because those just turn in to powder way to easily and make a dusty mess.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
No thats because your using Sprung Beans.

But seriously I think it was from Leung Tings book and also a Ipman website that suggested mung beans and mentioned their medicinal effect.

I hated the pinto beans that my CLF school had in their wall bags because those just turn in to powder way to easily and make a dusty mess.

I remember reading something about Wong Shun Leung , he apparently had ball bearings in his.
I dunno how that would go , wouldn't they get rusty from all the sweat going into the bag?