Vietnames Cuong Nhu(info)

J

J-kid

Cuong Nhu is a hybrid style which blends 7 different martial arts to create, Cuong Nhu Oriental Martial Art. Shotokan style karate techniques, Boxing, Judo, Aikido, Wing Chun, Tai Chi Chuan, and Vovinam. Cuong Nhu was founded in 1965 by Grandmaster Ngo Dong. It was made during the Vietnames war.
Dos this help you out Arnisador?

Your Friend Judo-KID

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, yes, but I was hoping for a more personal impression: Do you think it's an effective art? What appeals to you about it? How does it "feel"--like Kung Fu, like boxing, like...?

OP
J

J-kid

I am not to sure how a i feel yet i started 3 weeks ago and yet i dont know if i like it yet. they do alot of kicks and drills , blocks and so forth, katas are big there but i dont think i like katas.
they do a little of every thing. can you be more detailed in your question and next time i go to class i will take alook and see if i cant answer it, Your friend Judo-Kid

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had heard that they had lots of different types of arts in it. Does it seem to hang together as consistent whole or does it feel like a hodge-podge?

OP
J

J-kid

Still not sure if i like it, they work on katas alot and stuff and i am not big on it yet, gonna try a kenpo thing for a month see another kind of ma.

OP
G

George Martin

The curriculum is basically shotokan karate in the beginning up to the green belt level however there is other training. This includes tumbling, wing chun basics, stick fighting, self defense moves.
The organization is non-profit and well run. There is an excellent training manual. Belts are awarded at regional tests and after vigourous 2 hr exam. Emphasis also on philosophy and ethics.
I took shotokan in Brooklyn from a well known master many years ago and have had better training in this program.
Would recommend strongly.

OP
T

theneuhauser

ive heard of vietnamese wing chun, is this the same thing?

OP
G

George Martin

The beginning forms are Taikyoku and Pinan 1 - 5. Very similar to shotokan forms that I learned under Alex Sternberg in Brooklyn, however emphasize the loads more. Past the Shotokan series then the forms are different some hard and some soft style. I certainly do not claim to be an expert!

There is a 2 person Vietnamese form that is really something to see. however its black belt level. Cuong Nhu borrows animal forms and 2 partner fighting forms from Viet Vo Dao. The founder of Cuong Nhu is is Grandmaster Ngo Dong who learned Vovinam in Vietnam from his brother Ngo Quoc Phong. He was one of top students of Vovinams founder Grandmaster Nguyen Loc. He also learned Wing Chun from his two oldest brothers who studied with Chinese Master Te Kong.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think of Shotokan as a hard, long-range, punching style, to oversimplify. I understand that the Cuong Nhu stylists end up looking much more like kung fu stylists by the end.

What weapons do you train?

OP
G

George Martin

Remember I am relatively new to Cuong Nhu. I have used escrima stick, however others use longer bo's that look about 3 feet and 6 ft. There is a stick kata called Tanbo 1 that is prequisite for I believe brown belt.

I would also agree that the basics for beginners is Shotokan but then more advanced training is combination of both soft and hard styles. Tnere is also mat work in Judo and basic grappling skills.
My son likes this especially as he has been scholastic wrestling for 3 years.

I have learned a basic 14 move stick pattern. I dont know if this is the same or dissimlar to what is learned in Arnis for beginners.

I also that one of the Cuong Nhu members is an expert in stick fighting and was a recent winner at a tournament in the Philippines but his name esacapes me!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have stated that Vovinam is one of the parts that make up the whole , could you give a little background about this styleand perhaps some idea of what makes it different from other arts.
If this was discussed elsewhere just point me in the right direction.

Shadow:asian:

OP
G

George Martin

Vovinam is too advanced for my level however here is some information:

Chinese Cuan-fa spread to Vietnam, where the people developed their own methods of fighting. Japanese arts were introduced around WWII and further influenced Vietnamese styles. Grandmaster Nguyen Loc researched and systemized the many different Vietnamese martial and wrestling styles to create Vovinam. The style combines the martial arts philosophies of the Orient and the practicalities of the Occident. Combines various forms of self defense and combat based on principle of Ying and Yang co-development including both soft and hard techniques.
Cuong Nhu incorporates animal forms and 2 partner fighting forms from Viet Vo Dao.

The above information is basically from the Cuong Nhu training manual. z

I will see if I can develop anything else.

OP
I

IKCAMemberGary

There is a Cuong Nhu school here in Gainesville, Florida. I have been in the school conversing with a Kenpo Instructor (Tracys, but I wont hold that against him!) and saw some of this style. I asked the instructor about the style, and told him I saw a LOT of Shotokan in it (my original style). He said there was Shotokan, along with other styles mixed in. From what I saw, it looked decent. Strong Japanese influence, with some softer Chinese evident. The instructor invited me to work out with them, but I never found the time.

Gary