Utility of an Independent Instructors Only Organization

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was able to test for my 7th Dan MDK in front of GM Chon, Jae Kyu about a year before he passed. Emotional, symbolic and any other positive adjective you can think of.
My 5th Dan Kukkiwon was in front of a board in Chicago; five GM’s, mostly Korean and all higher up in US Kukkiwon but it did not carry the same weight to me.
Exactly! I've been lucky to test for most of my ranks under my direct instructor (that has been since white belt). Unfortunately he passed away last year, so I have a choice to test with UK GMs, or go to Korea to test with the President of my Kwan. I've met him a few times, interviewed him, he's taken me to lunch, etc. So that has more meaning for me.

It would have been my last chance for my instructor to test me before I had to go to Korea to test, but as that's not an option now, Korea is next best thing.

OP
MadMartigan

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Isn't an organization of independent instructors something of an oxymoron?
And on a technical level... how can this oxymoron decide who has earned promotion if they don't know the curriculum?
True. Once you organize, can you really say you're independent?
To clarify, I was not talking about disparate arts (a tkd practitioner testing an aikido practitioner, etc). I meant members of comparable arts.

My belief is that within the same general system, there is room for some interpretation (where your blocks chamber) without losing the consistent method of implementation. I even think that a karate master could look at a traditional tkd pattern being performed and would be perfectly qualified to judge the skill of the performer. If the person's stances are inconsistent, or they lack power in their delivery of hand techniques; these are universal within the TMA.
That is not what I would recommend... it's just a thought process. I would only see value in ITF with ITF style, MDK with MDK, etc. That way everyone is doing the same base martial art (but allowing for subtle differences).
In this scenario, a 8th Dan who was sick of the politics of their organization and left (there are lots out there) could assist other independent lower ranked instructors who have no lineage to follow. The idea would be cooperation without control.
Just a thought that interests me anyway.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Years ago I was part of NAPMA. I believe MAIA took them over. They provided some good teaching ideas and lots of marketing stuff.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly! I've been lucky to test for most of my ranks under my direct instructor (that has been since white belt). Unfortunately he passed away last year, so I have a choice to test with UK GMs, or go to Korea to test with the President of my Kwan. I've met him a few times, interviewed him, he's taken me to lunch, etc. So that has more meaning for me.

It would have been my last chance for my instructor to test me before I had to go to Korea to test, but as that's not an option now, Korea is next best thing.
I am sorry for your loss. I have been fortunate to do the same in my TKD journey under GM Shin, Seoung Shin. A true legacy in the MDK & WT/Kukki TKD world. By his own choosing he has never taken a high mantle even though he has been asked repeated to lead the PanAm MDK leading up to GM Chon's death and to be on the board of regions for Kukkiwon. He is just not a political person.
What Kwan are you affiliated with? Being a 'dual school'; following a traditional Kwan and integrating modern WT/Kukkiwon is a great combination IMHO.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I was part of NAPMA. I believe MAIA took them over. They provided some good teaching ideas and lots of marketing stuff.
I still have some NAPMA material lying about somewhere. It was a good source of ideas for varying things. Better for those with kids’ classes, IIRC.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. The Kwan can feel like family. The KKW not so much. In case of fire, I'd be grabbing my MDK certificates before the others.
I've done all of my KKW and MDK promotions with GM Kim, GM Castor, and GM Valdez. But because the MDK certs were signed by people I actually know, they're more meaningful to me.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss. I have been fortunate to do the same in my TKD journey under GM Shin, Seoung Shin. A true legacy in the MDK & WT/Kukki TKD world. By his own choosing he has never taken a high mantle even though he has been asked repeated to lead the PanAm MDK leading up to GM Chon's death and to be on the board of regions for Kukkiwon. He is just not a political person.
What Kwan are you affiliated with? Being a 'dual school'; following a traditional Kwan and integrating modern WT/Kukkiwon is a great combination IMHO.
Oops, typo on my GM's name; Shin, Seoung Eui. My apologies to everyone.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks mate. Yeah, my instructor passing was a huge loss to me and to many others (he joined the list of people given a posthumous Kukkiwon 10th Dan for his efforts).

I'm with Changmookwan, and so happy to have connected with our family in Korea back in 2012.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An Independent Instructors Only Organization should have an office on the Main Street of it's town.

Across the street should be an office of it's nemesis. Rank Whores of America.

We could sell T-shirts. :)

Latest Discussions