USAT's "Stay to Play" Policy -- you have got to be kidding

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mango.man you are right not much got done when she was there, unfortuantly she was not allowed to have anything she tried to get down passed by the board because of strong arm tactics that have been a great deal with USAT. When you have no voice and backing or you are always being turned down it gets very bad for all.

Rhonda has always been a big part of TKD whether with USTU, AAU or USAT, her heart has always been looking out for all not the few. I know I was never there personally but I know alot of folks that have told me she is really trying to get things done with no recourse because of politics.

I hope I do not sound like I am a big Rhonda person becaus eI have had my fair share of dis-agreement with her over the years but we all know nothing gets done with USAT without David being in the spot light and it being his baby.

Just for the record I have e-mail, tex and called all day and still no answers from anybody about any of my question.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry, how long were you "Grassroots Director" of USAT and how long has passed since you "resigned"? It would seem to me that what attention there was to grassroots people (however big or small) all fell apart under your watch as Director of Grassroots.

Please tell me, and others, exactly what good you have personally done over the past 5 years or so that you sat on the board, first as the chair and later as the grassroots director? Because frankly, I am not sure what you ever did, good or bad (other than oversee the destruction of what there was of a grassroots effort in the org.) Ohh, you handed my daughter her badge in Atlanta a few years back. Other than those 2 things, what did you accomplish during your years on the board?

Well, I worked my rear end off to attempt to protect athletes like your daughter in the 4 years I worked on that board. However, when the bylaws are written so the paid staff has a dictatorship, it does cause some problems. And when it takes 6 of 10 to vote for something and votes were running 4-6, it is also difficult.

Let's see - off the to of my head:
I got Grassroots Grants passed by the board and saw it canceled by the CEO because there is NO MONEY.
I am the reason there is bracketed forms at USAT events, it is a long, painful story, of office incompetence. Since the implementation of same, poomse competition numbers went up for the first time in organization history
I fought other directors who believe the way to support the grassroots was to put all energy into the elite competitors.
I negotiated the end of the HLTC Contract and was able to keep the compromise which would have allowed HP to keep a finger in - from happening. Not to mention the frequent threats that he was going to sue me.
I got the Women's Committee passed and a set of policies and procedures written, only to see it die as Kevin "didn't know what he wanted to do with it yet."
I was the only board member to introduce any bylaw amendments - especially those which brought the bylaws in line with the Colorado Nonprofit corp law.
I nagged incessantly to get money for the Poomsae team. I fought to get the office to handle their paperwork and not treat them like step children.
I had to talk to the WTF Secretary General to keep the WTF from canceling the IR seminar at the 2009 US Open because David insulted him and them.
I fought tooth and nail to get the selection process changed.
I brought conflicts of interest to light - regarding things like the Coaching Director being on the selection committee for National Assistant Coaches and also being a candidate. However, no one seemed to care.
I worked events so that I could see how things ran.
I kept the rules from changing 24 hours before the Florida Qualifier last year when it came to light that staff had changed the head kick rules and didn't tell anyone, outside of page 37 of the downloaded book.
I proposed the election bylaw changes which will never see light of day which would eliminate the reduction to 3 names on the ballot. CEO doesn't want that one. It's dead.
While the CEO was out of the country, I had USOC call about fixing the USOC election procedures which were rejected by the USOC.
I filed an Ethics Complaint (1 of 3) on the female board member who stated that it is her firm belief that the governance of this organization should be handled by the men as this is a male dominated sport and the men could handle it better - with the idea that up and coming females like your daughter wouldn't have to deal with the glass ceiling and gender discrimination, but the EC decided it was a board issue and they don't see a problem.

If this is not enough for you, I would be thrilled to add to this list.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I worked my rear end off to attempt to protect athletes like your daughter in the 4 years I worked on that board. However, when the bylaws are written so the paid staff has a dictatorship, it does cause some problems. And when it takes 6 of 10 to vote for something and votes were running 4-6, it is also difficult.

Let's see - off the to of my head:
I got Grassroots Grants passed by the board and saw it canceled by the CEO because there is NO MONEY.
I am the reason there is bracketed forms at USAT events, it is a long, painful story, of office incompetence. Since the implementation of same, poomse competition numbers went up for the first time in organization history
I fought other directors who believe the way to support the grassroots was to put all energy into the elite competitors.
I negotiated the end of the HLTC Contract and was able to keep the compromise which would have allowed HP to keep a finger in - from happening. Not to mention the frequent threats that he was going to sue me.
I got the Women's Committee passed and a set of policies and procedures written, only to see it die as Kevin "didn't know what he wanted to do with it yet."
I was the only board member to introduce any bylaw amendments - especially those which brought the bylaws in line with the Colorado Nonprofit corp law.
I nagged incessantly to get money for the Poomsae team. I fought to get the office to handle their paperwork and not treat them like step children.
I had to talk to the WTF Secretary General to keep the WTF from canceling the IR seminar at the 2009 US Open because David insulted him and them.
I fought tooth and nail to get the selection process changed.
I brought conflicts of interest to light - regarding things like the Coaching Director being on the selection committee for National Assistant Coaches and also being a candidate. However, no one seemed to care.
I worked events so that I could see how things ran.
I kept the rules from changing 24 hours before the Florida Qualifier last year when it came to light that staff had changed the head kick rules and didn't tell anyone, outside of page 37 of the downloaded book.
I proposed the election bylaw changes which will never see light of day which would eliminate the reduction to 3 names on the ballot. CEO doesn't want that one. It's dead.
While the CEO was out of the country, I had USOC call about fixing the USOC election procedures which were rejected by the USOC.
I filed an Ethics Complaint (1 of 3) on the female board member who stated that it is her firm belief that the governance of this organization should be handled by the men as this is a male dominated sport and the men could handle it better - with the idea that up and coming females like your daughter wouldn't have to deal with the glass ceiling and gender discrimination, but the EC decided it was a board issue and they don't see a problem.

If this is not enough for you, I would be thrilled to add to this list.

Charles it would appear to me that Ronda was putting he finger in the hole of the Dam of stupidity which is the USAT. The number of poor decisions that our NGB has made since she left has increased exponentially. It would appear that the USAT is going down in the flood of poor decisions that are coming out of Colorado Springs. I think that Ronda was trying to fix things in Colorado and that is why she got frustrated and resigned. Just my opinion I am sure Ms. Sweet can expound if she likes.

Last edited:

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah Mango Man, speaking of your daughter:

There would be no Sexual Harassment Policy in place if I had not brought it to the forefront and babysat that one.

It wouldn't be posted on the USAT legal page, which was created as I pushed posting of legal complaints and policies.

In 2006, when we were 2 days from being decertifed by the USOC, I worked with Jason Poos and we got a compromise working that saw the USAT not decertified and your child still able to compete at Nationals and JO's as USOC was going to decertify the USAT and work only with the National team. No JO's, no grassroots.

I pushed, shoved and did everything and saw the Board pass the USAT Dan program, to see the CEO kill it when KKW threatened to kill the special testing at the 2009 US Open.

I helped implement the Travel Team ideas, only to see them cancel the trips as too expensive after announcing them on the website.

When I found out that there were issues with the NASTO election 8 months after Mark Williams was seated, I investigated and pushed and shoved the CEO and other Board members as USAT IMO validated an illegal election. I worked hard to find people to sit on the Ethics Committee so this complaint could be heard - and it is still in limbo. I this took frequent calls saying we're going to get sued if this was pursued.

Every week I sent nagged the CEO to get the 990's and the Audits posted on the website. I did not accept excuses like "tom has it in his briefcase at home." but guess what? You can't control other people.

When Danielle Pelham was denied her spot at Team trials because the Arbitration Committee made a major error, who do you think it was that worked to get that changed, as well as the rules?

I introduced and worked to bring the states back. When staff came up with stupid rules that really should not apply to states, I pushed to get them changed - like ring sizes and night before weigh-ins.

When states and vendors didn't get paid, I intervened when asked.

When the CEO had this brilliant idea to cohost the Hanmadang a couple years ago and be their keynote speaker, I talked him out of it. Regardless of whose name was on the contracts, with USAT on the posters, vendors would have come after USAT and we could not afford to pay those bills. Considering that was a financial disaster...

I fought to get a female coach for the Olympics and to get more female coaches. Well, when u have a CEO who uses terms like "radical feminists" and ......... So when I protested the choice of the Olympic Support staff - starting with we need a woman and why him when you just wrote he cost us all this money - I lost that fight. My words were it looks like "Boy's Night Out."

I dealt with people who thought they could have meetings with no minutes if they call them team building. I dealt with people who didn't want members to call in or be part of meetings. I dealt with people who think that if you disagree with the org you need to get out. I dealt with people who don't know our bylaws - starting right at the top.

Yeah, all I did was pass out badges.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh yeah Mango Man, speaking of your daughter:

There would be no Sexual Harassment Policy in place if I had not brought it to the forefront and babysat that one.

It wouldn't be posted on the USAT legal page, which was created as I pushed posting of legal complaints and policies.

In 2006, when we were 2 days from being decertifed by the USOC, I worked with Jason Poos and we got a compromise working that saw the USAT not decertified and your child still able to compete at Nationals and JO's as USOC was going to decertify the USAT and work only with the National team. No JO's, no grassroots.

I pushed, shoved and did everything and saw the Board pass the USAT Dan program, to see the CEO kill it when KKW threatened to kill the special testing at the 2009 US Open.

I helped implement the Travel Team ideas, only to see them cancel the trips as too expensive after announcing them on the website.

When I found out that there were issues with the NASTO election 8 months after Mark Williams was seated, I investigated and pushed and shoved the CEO and other Board members as USAT IMO validated an illegal election. I worked hard to find people to sit on the Ethics Committee so this complaint could be heard - and it is still in limbo. I this took frequent calls saying we're going to get sued if this was pursued.

Every week I sent nagged the CEO to get the 990's and the Audits posted on the website. I did not accept excuses like "tom has it in his briefcase at home." but guess what? You can't control other people.

When Danielle Pelham was denied her spot at Team trials because the Arbitration Committee made a major error, who do you think it was that worked to get that changed, as well as the rules?

I introduced and worked to bring the states back. When staff came up with stupid rules that really should not apply to states, I pushed to get them changed - like ring sizes and night before weigh-ins.

When states and vendors didn't get paid, I intervened when asked.

When the CEO had this brilliant idea to cohost the Hanmadang a couple years ago and be their keynote speaker, I talked him out of it. Regardless of whose name was on the contracts, with USAT on the posters, vendors would have come after USAT and we could not afford to pay those bills. Considering that was a financial disaster...

I fought to get a female coach for the Olympics and to get more female coaches. Well, when u have a CEO who uses terms like "radical feminists" and ......... So when I protested the choice of the Olympic Support staff - starting with we need a woman and why him when you just wrote he cost us all this money - I lost that fight. My words were it looks like "Boy's Night Out."

I dealt with people who thought they could have meetings with no minutes if they call them team building. I dealt with people who didn't want members to call in or be part of meetings. I dealt with people who think that if you disagree with the org you need to get out. I dealt with people who don't know our bylaws - starting right at the top.

Yeah, all I did was pass out badges.
So, candidate for AA meetings yet?
I know I would be driven to abuse adult beverages with that except out of the life of a leading organization....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the phone calls I have received, Mark does not do well at returning phone calls, but he answers text messages almost immediately. Contact me and I will give you the number#. You have no idea how many state presidents call me and ask for help since neither Mark or David (in their words) will return their calls. However, Mark is speedy on the text and twitter. Follow him on twitter. BTW - Mr. Esche received an answer from David - saying call me. I guess he doesn't want anything in writing that I can post :) For those who want Mr. Kaufman's number - a lot of the old qualifier info packets and others have staff member cell numbers - so I consider them public domain.

Sounds like he needs to throw the toys out and do his job.

But then, I have no dog in this fight - I just enjoy a cold one and popcorn on the sideline.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, candidate for AA meetings yet?
I know I would be driven to abuse adult beverages with that except out of the life of a leading organization....

Not yet, although it was close. You could tell it was a bad day when we sent out for the barcardi limon. Reminds me of a bet I had with the CEO. He wanted me to apologize to HP for tearing up his contract at a BOD meeting after we negotiated the end to it. Certain board members who are classmates ratted me out. Anyway, he was refusing to register students in USAT if I didn't. I bet David he wouldn't register all 400 of his students, even if I did apologize for the admittedly childish stunt. The prize was a bottle of Bailey's.

the end date for the bet came, and that school had 4 members not 400 - David needed him to register 300 to win. So I reminded him he owed me a bottle. He forgot, I reminded. He went home and brought me an open bottle from his home bar to pay off.

It was crap like this that drove to occasional "prayer meetings" as MW coined them when we refereed together years ago.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
HP.... That bum still owes me a Shirt from the first Level 1 seminar..... $500, no shirts, no dvd, no nothing but the right to call myself a level 1......

WHERE"S MY SHIRT?

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
HP.... That bum still owes me a Shirt from the first Level 1 seminar..... $500, no shirts, no dvd, no nothing but the right to call myself a level 1......

WHERE"S MY SHIRT?

LMAO - good luck collecting.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you must have broken a mirror, but there is hope for you yet, in 2 years your luck returns.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score

WHERE"S MY SHIRT?

:) D, your SOL (statute of limitations.....what were YOU thinking that stood for?) is probably coming up....

Disclaimer-I don't practice law in CA where HP is AFAIK, or wherever D lives.....or wherever the refereeing seminar took place.....

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:) D, your SOL (statute of limitations.....what were YOU thinking that stood for?) is probably coming up....

Disclaimer-I don't practice law in CA where HP is AFAIK, or wherever D lives.....or wherever the refereeing seminar took place.....

it was the level 1 coaches seminar and it was a rip off from the start. thats when they decided only level 1 coaches could coach from the chair at major events. now take the AC and ur good. or coaches edge.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Check the website they pulled the Stay for Play. I would suggest that they make it voluntary for ever!!!! Because it is definitely against an Athletes "Right to compete"
I am glad they did this in a way. I have learned allot about an athletes right to compete. This will come in handy at a latter time I am sure.

Due to the timeframe of the upcoming Junior Olympics and Senior National Championships, combined with the fact that many members have already finalized their housing arrangements, USA Taekwondo has decided to make the &#8220;Stay to Play&#8221; service voluntary in 2010.

USAT members are still strongly encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity and book their lodging with one of the many approved THS hotels. By utilizing the THS service, members can experience cost savings at participating hotels offering a wide range of rates, starting at $59/night + tax.

Revenue generated from this service directly impacts USAT athlete development programs such as team training camps including Junior, U-24, and Senior National Teams, Junior Prep Program and world-class international competitions.

For the 2011 Junior Olympics and Senior National Championships, qualification procedures and policies will be published well in advance to allow participants ample time to make their arrangements.

USA Taekwondo appreciates your understanding and cooperation in this endeavor as we strive to provide our athletes and membership the best possible service and programs.
Rate It

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gorilla you beat me to it, I'am with you they should just forget about it all together.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It should remain something that is suggested but to make it a policy or mandatory is insane.

Also I heard from a little birdy that the Sr. Nationlas and JO's are to be held in San Jose, CA. next year. I hope it that is ture. We'll see.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You should have all gotten this email by now... if not.....

"Due to the timeframe of the upcoming Junior Olympics and Senior National Championships, combined with the fact that many members have already finalized their housing arrangements, USA Taekwondo has decided to make the "Stay to Play" service voluntary in 2010.
USAT members are still strongly encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity and book their lodging with one of the many approved THS hotels. By utilizing the THS service, members can experience cost savings at participating hotels offering a wide range of rates, starting at $59/night + tax.
Revenue generated from this service directly impacts USAT athlete development programs such as team training camps including Junior, U-24, and Senior National Teams, Junior Prep Program and world-class international competitions.
For the 2011 Junior Olympics and Senior National Championships, qualification procedures and policies will be published well in advance to allow participants ample time to make their arrangements.
USA Taekwondo appreciates your understanding and cooperation in this endeavor as we strive to provide our athletes and membership the best possible service and programs."

yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk :rofl:

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got this e-mail from USAT:

Due to the timeframe of the upcoming Junior Olympics and Senior National Championships, combined with the fact that many members have already finalized their housing arrangements, USA Taekwondo has decided to make the "Stay to Play" service voluntary in 2010.

USA Taekwondo appreciates your understanding and cooperation in this endeavor as we strive to provide our athletes and membership the best possible service and programs.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's nice to see HQ make the right call, but the bad aftertaste is gonna linger.

It doesn't take many of this kind of shenanigan to build a very negative attitude toward "upstairs". New ideas from now on are likely to be met with a sarcastic "Hey...guess what headquarters has thought of this time!"

Whether it's Mr. A, the BOD, or whomever, we expect leaders to carefully evaluate the results of any action BEFORE taking it.
Why should we believe they thought things through next time?

Carl

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Srudentcarl you are right, it is going to be some backlash over this when they do decide to make any changes. They just never sem to think before they type, sometime it is better to think about what could happen and try to understand people than just say take it or leaveit attitude. The USAT has to remember it is the little people that really run that org as far as money goes.

Latest Discussions