US Open Electric Hogus

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based upon my personal observation, there was none. It was all about where you hit and with what part of the foot you hit and had absolutely nothing to do with how hard you hit.

Well then I am confuesed because all the paperwork I got on it was about the amount of pressure one needs to get the point and you was able to control that portion of the hogu.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well then I am confuesed because all the paperwork I got on it was about the amount of pressure one needs to get the point and you was able to control that portion of the hogu.

That is likely the case. My point was though that you could absolutly DRILL the hogu and knock your opponent into the next ring, BUT if you did not hit them with a part of your foot covered by the sensors, it went unscored.

On the flip side, whatever settings they were using, must have been light enough that just minimal contact, as long as it was with a part of the foot that was completely covered by the sensor, would often score.

The rules say that techniques delivered with any part of the foot below the ankle are valid, but the sensors do not cover the entire foot below the ankle. This leaves the WTF with 2 choices: change the rules (AGAIN) or use gear that complies with the rules. Neither of which were done at the US Open.

At the Dutch Open this past weekend, they used the Addidas e-hogu. My understanding was that they had the opposite problem. There are no socks with sensors, it is all about impact. So things like knees and shins hitting the hogu would generate points.

The WTF has a lot of work to do if they are counting on e-scoring to save their butts in the public eye.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree mango.man they do have alot of work to get this correct. How do you suppose it will be handle in the next few years?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree mango.man they do have alot of work to get this correct. How do you suppose it will be handle in the next few years?

I expect it will be handled the wrong way, whatever that might be.

What I would like to see is the e-hogu + corner judges scoring body shots. Either 3 judges can produce a score or 2 judges + the e-hogu can produce a score.

I suspect that is NOT how the WTF will address the problem.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, just an off-hand thought, but...

What if they used a sensor-sock as more of a leg-covering on the leg above the ankle. Then the Addidas equipment could score any contact with enough force, but it could be programed to zero out and not score if the impact was with the wrong part of the leg. What'd'ya think? Personally, I would love to have some kind of equipment that could measure the force of hand techniques and punches, and score them regularly and uniformly (without some judges' personal bias against punches).

As quirky and problematic as it is right now, I think that some kind of standardized instantaneous electronic scoring system is inevitable. And frankly, if done right (so it actually measures impact force/power), it will be a great training aid and a benefit to many martial arts.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Solution is to have three corner judges.... each corner has its own scoring system and display. At the end of the match the competitor who is ahead on two scoring systems wins. This makes the judges responsible for their own scores. We did it last year at our tournament just to try it out and it worked great. Drawback... three scoring systems per ring instead of one. But at least the scoring was done the way it should be done.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Solution is to have three corner judges.... each corner has its own scoring system and display. At the end of the match the competitor who is ahead on two scoring systems wins. This makes the judges responsible for their own scores. We did it last year at our tournament just to try it out and it worked great. Drawback... three scoring systems per ring instead of one. But at least the scoring was done the way it should be done.

Could you explain this more in detail? I am a little intrigue by this.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sure... we set up the ring using three separate scoring systems. (One of my black belts developed a scoring system that is self contained). Basically each judge, when they saw a point scored, hit the button and it came up on their individual scoreboard. No need for anyone else to verify the point because if one of the other judges seen it they would score it on their scoreboard. At the end of the match if red was ahead on two scoreboards then red won. If blue was ahead then blue won. If tied we went an extra round. Its basically like the old individual score sheets when each judge would turn in their scorecard at the end of the match. Except you can see it as it happens.
It was interesting to watch the scoring if you really knew the game you could see why judge one missed a point that judge two and three didn't and visa versa. It also makes you realize the inadequacy of the judging system we presently use. You also knew what judge liked power techniques with clean shots while the other judge might just score anything that looked good.
Like I said the drawback is that you need three individual scoring systems for each ring to do this. However I understand that ringmaster can be set up to accommodate this type of scoring.
To me it is the perfect solution to the scoring problems we now face. Just dang hard to come up with that many scoring machines. We were only able to do it for the black belt matches because of this. You couldn't protest a fight (and I had one I wanted to that I was coaching) because the scores were all different. How, when, what were you going to protest too when three scores were all different? Did judge one score that kick to the head or was it judge three that missed it? That type of thing. Which in a way I think is a positive. Its hard to complain when you have to try to watch three scores at the same time, coach and everything else.
Hope I explained it well enough.... if not let me know if I can give you some more!

Could you explain this more in detail? I am a little intrigue by this.