Unusual (?) names for pets

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a cat named Oracle and my brother had a cat named Parser

You couldn't tell that we are both computer guys could you?

My father and mother in law's dog is named Mossy Oak

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've got two cats, a female by the name of Grendel Catherine, and a male who goes by the name Beowulf Simon.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
My baby kitten, who I love dearly, is named Panini.
My last cat, who died a few months back after ten years of being the best pet I have ever knows, was named Trouble.
We had a cat who dissappeared a few years back and her name was Cabbage. Cabbage was "special." She would get lost everytime she went into our kitchen and would fall asleep licking the wall.
We have a huge, demonic orange cat who lives outside and her name is Poppy.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
My (at the time) 4-year-old brother named the new pup Copper (he likes the Fox and The Hound movie), that wouldn't be weird except that the dog is pitch black (black lab/bloodhound mix). Naturally a year or so later when they got a second dog (bloodhound/Great Pyrenees mix) that is gold colored, they named him Blackie. :rolleyes:

Copper
Picture1017.jpg

Blackie
l_a3aa073fc4a5354271dc5a05355e2f8e.jpg

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I named my dog Sable, because he is solid black - what I didn't know for some time is that some cultural groups use it as a name - a feminine name - and people are constantly assuming he's a girl. Doesn't seem to bother him any, though!

A friend of mine had a black lab mix named Nixon - he was pretty stubborn, but I don't think that's where the name came from.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
we also had a dog named Randolph Aloysius...why? because that was the most random, weird, pompous name we could think of...

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our chocolate labrador is named Tabasco because he ate the peppers off the bushes in our backyard. I do believe that dog would eat anything.

Our female cat is named Jelly. Her full registered name is Angeline D'Amerique. Our male cat is Blix, after the mischevious elf. They both grew into their names quite nicely:).

Choose names carefully, they have a way of becoming self fulfilling prophecies!

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Belgian Malinois' name is Ninja because of the black mask-like coloration on his snout and the black fur on his throat. He stealthily steals cushions off the couch using what I think is doggie Ninjitsu...

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a cat named kitty kitty (yes, a double name)
a dog named cat
a dog named buddy
a dog named peanut
a cat named al hafez

i might need some help next time i name a pet

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i have a cat, we ca;; Puddems but the name he was given to us was Roly we use both :D poory kitty lol

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even though our JRT was named Moose, he was a terror. Great dog, but an aggressive little thing that wreaked havoc around other animals, so we often jokingly referred to him as Achmed.

Last edited:

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have ----

Fat, orange cat---Dust Bunny
Black cat with white mittens---Stormy-mew (aka Miss Mittens or Mighty Mittens if she's wild)
All black cat--Kasumi (means Misty in Japanese)

Pug (just passed away)---Mouse Potato (meaning "one who sits at the computer all day")
Pug---Chipmunk (called Chip, Chippers, and Buffalo)
3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels--Elanor (from The Lord of the Rings), Jamie (usually called "Moose"), and Jasmine

Hamster--Minky

I used to have a pet turtle---Xena the warrior turle (full name)

My sister has 2 cats--Punkin and Captian Jack Kitty :pirate3:

My boyfriend has 2 ball pythons that he will eventually breed.
Strangles--'nuff said
Fluffy

Robyn :wavey:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to have a tarantula named Pookie. Because I thought having a giant, hairy, fanged monster with a cute name was funny.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have big black cat named Renfield....

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of cats over the years, but afraid I'm pretty unimaginative: Saki, Fluffy, Cassie, Buddy, Blackie, Lucky, Lizzie...the 'ie' sound at the end makes it easier to call them in for meals.

We did inherit a cat called 'Princess Greytail'...until I pointed out to my husband that I was pretty sure it was a castrated male. We shortened it to an unimaginative 'Prince.'

And I admit to a low moment of once naming a cat 'Bugly'...short for 'butt-ugly'.

Latest Discussions