United Studios of Self Defense (USSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmac

White Belt
Reaction score
My experiance with USSD wasn't the best. I started taking lessons there when i was around 13. After about 6 or 7 months....i was STILL a white belt! I had all the katas till blue belt down, but did the instructor notice? Not at all! He wasnt even there! He would bow in the class, then have one of his student leaders take over the rest of class while he sat in his office the whole time! :angry:

Anyways, Like all the other guys said.........RUN!!!!!
IMO, Its a waste of time and money!

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK- I was NOT going to chime in here but feel compelled to share my experience at USSD.

I left a TKD school where my teacher moved in with my girlfriend and found the local USSD school... The instructor was VERY good, and it opened my eyes compared to the TKD training I had received (your mileage may vary) nothing against TKD, maybe the YMCA TKD I was taking was not high quality-

Anyhow, after about 3 years (for me) my instructor felt USSD was too commercialized and he started to try to find his Kempo roots, I followed... Thank goodness for him! The rest is history!

Couple things:
1. I know and have trained with TKD folks who are awesome, so I understand the practitioner makes the difference...So I do not pass judgement on entire styles based on my limited training in that art (1 year)

2. There are a few good USSD instructors but in my opinion it is a watered down version of Kempo with a shakey lineage-

3. I just cannot recommend USSD to anyone who wants to find a serious Kempo/Kenpo school. Find a Kosho, Kara-Ho, Kajukenbo, Shaolin Kenpo, EPAK, Goshin-jitsu, Tracy etc...

Thanks everyone!
Jamey
P.S> Again this is my opinion having trained up to brown-belt level with USSD then switching to a style where I was the equivalent of an average yellow/purple belt.

OP
J

jinco

As a USSD student, let me take up the cause on behalf of my dojo.

Now obviously, my experience at a single USSD dojo isn't neccessarily representative of the organization as a whole. I can only speak for my location. Also, what I'm looking to get out of MA may well be different than most of the folks in this forum. I'm 43, I never had any MA experience and I was looking for an opportunity to get in shape, have some fun and share something with my 9 year son, who was interested in learning the martial arts. I'm not especially concerned with streetfighting or competition, nor do the differences between various kempo styles particularly interest me, so take that into consideration when weighing my thoughts.

So here goes:

I've been with USSD for 9 months, during which time I've learned a tremendous amount, gotten into the best shape of my life and been surrounded by a remarkably knowledgeable, respectful and caring team of instructors. The classes -- both group and private -- are rigorous and well-organized, the material is presented in a clear and sensible fashion, and there is a constant stressing of the basics -- our chief instructor is a perfectionist when it comes to stances, footwork and targeting.

Morale and camraderie among students is outstanding, especially considering the wide range of age and experience. Our chief instructor personally conducts almost every group class and the majority of my private lessons. He's an excellent teacher and communicator, who's shown great patience with a 43 year old guy who was, to say the least, a tad inflexible and slow at the start. He's also known when to push me to my limits. In short, he's sent me on my way to becoming a lifetime martial artist, when all I thought I was going to get out of it was a few months of decent workouts.

As for my son, he's hooked. He loves his classes, he's gobbling up material and he's gaining power and balance each day.

So there you go -- one man's experience with one USSD dojo. Take it for what it's worth, but if the other locations are anything like mine, I'm a fan.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jinco said:

Now obviously, my experience at a single USSD dojo isn't neccessarily representative of the organization as a whole. I can only speak for my location. Also, what I'm looking to get out of MA may well be different than most of the folks in this forum. I'm 43, I never had any MA experience and I was looking for an opportunity to get in shape, have some fun and share something with my 9 year son, who was interested in learning the martial arts. I'm not especially concerned with streetfighting or competition, nor do the differences between various kempo styles particularly interest me, so take that into consideration when weighing my thoughts.

So here goes:

I've been with USSD for 9 months, during which time I've learned a tremendous amount, gotten into the best shape of my life and been surrounded by a remarkably knowledgeable, respectful and caring team of instructors. The classes -- both group and private -- are rigorous and well-organized, the material is presented in a clear and sensible fashion, and there is a constant stressing of the basics -- our chief instructor is a perfectionist when it comes to stances, footwork and targeting.

Morale and camraderie among students is outstanding, especially considering the wide range of age and experience. Our chief instructor personally conducts almost every group class and the majority of my private lessons. He's an excellent teacher and communicator, who's shown great patience with a 43 year old guy who was, to say the least, a tad inflexible and slow at the start. He's also known when to push me to my limits. In short, he's sent me on my way to becoming a lifetime martial artist, when all I thought I was going to get out of it was a few months of decent workouts.

As for my son, he's hooked. He loves his classes, he's gobbling up material and he's gaining power and balance each day.

So there you go -- one man's experience with one USSD dojo. Take it for what it's worth, but if the other locations are anything like mine, I'm a fan.

Ignorance is bliss. Congratulations on finding bliss.

Reactions: MJS
OP
J

jinco

Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Thanks for the warm and respectful welcome. Speaks volumes for the obvious superiority of your training.

OP
J

jinco

Old Fat Kenpoka said:
You know, the Ford Pinto was one of the best selling cars ever!
Yeah, my sister had one. Little red thing. She had a great time with it, and spent lots of time enjoying driving it around. Of course, had there been an internet back then she could have heard from self-described experts -- who never actually drove a Pinto -- how much better the AMC Pacer was. But alas, she was left to her own ignorance. And her own bliss.

Me too.

Peace.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jinco said:
Yeah, my sister had one. Little red thing. She had a great time with it, and spent lots of time enjoying driving it around. Of course, had there been an internet back then she could have heard from self-described experts -- who never actually drove a Pinto -- how much better the AMC Pacer was. But alas, she was left to her own ignorance. And her own bliss.

Me too.

Peace.

Peace as well. You know, if you want a place to workout for yourself and as a cub-scouts replacement for your son, I am sure it is fine. If you want to learn martial arts, you can probably find better and at a lower price.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Peace as well. You know, if you want a place to workout for yourself and as a cub-scouts replacement for your son, I am sure it is fine. If you want to learn martial arts, you can probably find better and at a lower price.
Amen!!:hammer:

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
May I add something

USSD = cardio-kickboxing + childcare center

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
jinco said:
USSD SUCKS BIG TIME
After reading your post, the last and bold sentence is the SMARTEST thing you ever said

and I wholeheartly agree.

MHeeler

White Belt
Reaction score
jinco said:

So here goes:

Congratulations on finding a school that fits YOUR needs. For any of us, that's all we can hope for. Apparently, your prefacing comments went unheeded. That's too bad, as it causes unwanted hostility. See above examples.

For those of you who feel the need to jump on this guy, I have to ask why? He's not claiming that anyone else need to attend his school. All he did was to post his personal experience. I see no "ignorance" on his part. He himself stated that all he was looking for was fitness and fun. Sounds to me like he found it. For that, he gets a hard time?

Jinco, once again, congrats on finding a school that you enjoy. I hope you and your son make the best of it. Too bad that you had to get a taste of the darker side of the arts here. Good luck. :asian:

MH

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a member, not a mod, what are you doing OFK? The guy is stepping up for where he is and you say "ignorance is bliss"? He may have a great teacher, the teacher may have other experience, regardless it is a positive environment for he and his son to train and do something together. I say good for him, and support him in his choice. I guess ignorance is bliss when you don't know any more than you do about the specific instructor, and you certainly don't know what this particular parent and student are learning and experiencing.

Not a "MT Friendly Response" and I want to apologize on behalf of the Board to the new member, but then again I cannot as it may happen again. Oh well.

-Michael

OP
O

octopic

Old Fat Kenpoka said:
OFK, besides being rude, that wasn't particularly constructive. Seriously, you do not even know which school the guy is at. As I've said before, there are some great instructors in the USSD organization, and it is certainly possible that this guy has one of them. That said, you should also consider that his goals are very different than yours. Even a bad McDojo instructor may have plenty to teach someone who has never taken martial arts before. Now, it may be, that after some time at this school, that he decides he wants more. If that is the happens, I, for one, would hope that he considers this a friendly enough environment to come for advice to.

Jinco, congratulations on finding a school that fits your needs, and that of your son's.

OP
J

jinco

Thanks to all who responded in the spirit in which I posted....

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jinco,

I'm glad you enjoy where you train. There is always a gold nugget to be found with good instructors even among the "commercial" model. People forget sometimes that it is the martial artist that makes the art, not the art making the martial artist.

Keep us updated with your progress!! I also have two sons who are involved in American Kenpo (EPAK) with me, so I understand how the martial arts can become a family activity.

- Ceicei

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jinco,

First I want to welcome you to Martialtalk. I hope you enjoy your time with us. We have some very knowledgeable posters here so feel free to ask what questions you have and also feel free to answer as you already are doing. I would ask you to forgive those who sometimes make rude, crude statements when they have nothing to add to the discussion, sorry but it happens on all forums.

It's been a while since I have run into a USSD studio, in fact I wasn't even aware that they still exsisted. From what I can remember of them the instructors joined the group for reasons rangeing from financial , advertiseing, other helpful ideas. As a single identity they looked small and might not be able to make a school run, but as a group they had help with learning how to market themsleves and thus where able to run the schools they had dreamed of from the time they where white belts. As with any organisation I'm sure there are good instructors in the group and bad ones, there are most likely people who love to teach and those who love ripping off "john Doe'

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jinco...Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay! :ultracool

Second...Lets keep in mind that we should be discussing the topic of the thread..USSD. While we are all going to have our thoughts about this org. lets not start to take personal shots at one another. We need to keep in mind that there are many arts, schools, etc. out there, some good, some bad. Ultimately, its up to the person training in X art or at X school, to determine if thats what suits them. If we are not a part of that org. and we don't think that they are anything but a McDojo, we really don't have anything to worry about then, because we're not a part of it!

I started training at a Villari school. While it is not the same org., it did originate from the same place. At the time I really didn't know much about any art and that happened to be the first school I joined. My instructor ended up breaking away from that org. and went to EPAK. IMHO, that was a good move, especially once I saw the wider assortment of things it offered. To this day, I look at it like this...if it wasnt for that first school, I probably would never have had the chance to get exposed to the many other arts out there.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Jinco...Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay! :ultracool

Second...Lets keep in mind that we should be discussing the topic of the thread..USSD. While we are all going to have our thoughts about this org. lets not start to take personal shots at one another. We need to keep in mind that there are many arts, schools, etc. out there, some good, some bad. Ultimately, its up to the person training in X art or at X school, to determine if thats what suits them. If we are not a part of that org. and we don't think that they are anything but a McDojo, we really don't have anything to worry about then, because we're not a part of it!

I started training at a Villari school. While it is not the same org., it did originate from the same place. At the time I really didn't know much about any art and that happened to be the first school I joined. My instructor ended up breaking away from that org. and went to EPAK. IMHO, that was a good move, especially once I saw the wider assortment of things it offered. To this day, I look at it like this...if it wasnt for that first school, I probably would never have had the chance to get exposed to the many other arts out there.

Mike
Exactly! I started at a dojang that many on this board, including myself now, would consider a McDojo. HOWEVER, like the satisfied poster from USSD, it got me in the best shape of my life up to that point. And yes, I did learn some things, including an overhead block that saved me from getting knocked out and possibly severely injured at a video arcade when I was a freshman in college.

Listen, folks. Here's a man who wants to spend some quality time with his 9 year old son in an activity that they both enjoy and is doing so. He's also increasing his level of physical fitness dramatically and is enjoying himself in the process. LAY OFF!

Thanks to those who intervened on this man's behalf. Welcome to MartialTalk!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions