Ussd

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A lot of them, now. Kent, WA, does. I just had a ground-fighting sesson this evening.

What is your standard for a grappling class? Maybe your experience is different than mine seeing as you are in WA.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wait, what? checking's first taught at the Yellow Belt level as part of DM 3. I'm confused.

Technically, if you learn DM 3 at yellow belt with the check, aren't you not learning by the book? I clearly remember being told that the manual is to instructors as the bible is to catholics...you stick to it no matter what. I guess only some instructors follow that. I know it was seriously stressed in the academy when I was in it though. I think teaching the check at yellow isn't a good idea at first. You should be getting them used to the idea of just doing the DM. A yellow belt is still relatively new, unless that person has experience in other arts. Then, I think it's ok to add the check. However, I know it can be confusing to people just starting out. They mistake it for a block instead of a check.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait, what? checking's first taught at the Yellow Belt level as part of DM 3. I'm confused.

As far as a check, I was thinking more of 'leg checking' ... being that this technique, #3, is done typically against the standard front lunge punch, I check the leg, my right leg to thier right leg. This should not, IMO, be taught at lower ranks, not below green or brown. Leg checking can cause injury and should be done with caution. Hand checking is fine to teach and causes virtually no damage.

My comments earlier, with regards to checking, were focused on the legs. Sorry if I was unclear.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is your standard for a grappling class? Maybe your experience is different than mine seeing as you are in WA.

Once or twice a month, in place of our sparring class, if there aren't that many people, and we're all willing to stick around, the class will be an extended sparring/grappling class. WHen it's just grappling, we'll work on specific grappling techniques (transitioning between positions, arm locks, chokes, etc.) and then spend plenty of time actually grappling.

I come out about 2 pounds lighter on those nights. :)

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You kind of didn't answer the question, Josh. I asked what is your standard for a grappling class. You see, in a traditional school that teaches only grappling, there are basics and warm ups that go before you drill from position to position, submissions or even "roll." Every BJJ school that I have walked into has taught a 90 minute group class for that reason. So, what kind of grappling basics do you do? Do you start on your knees to grapple or do you start from standing? If you start from standing, do you work on your wrestling skills in class? So, let me rephrase my original question...what do you do in a grappling class with USSD? I am now officially curious to find out...

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey does anybody know why villaris is all over the east coast and he only has 4 schools on the west coast?
Does he have any plans to open more schools on the west coast?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You kind of didn't answer the question, Josh. I asked what is your standard for a grappling class. You see, in a traditional school that teaches only grappling, there are basics and warm ups that go before you drill from position to position, submissions or even "roll." Every BJJ school that I have walked into has taught a 90 minute group class for that reason. So, what kind of grappling basics do you do? Do you start on your knees to grapple or do you start from standing? If you start from standing, do you work on your wrestling skills in class? So, let me rephrase my original question...what do you do in a grappling class with USSD? I am now officially curious to find out...

Sorry, I should have asked for clarification before answering your question. I'll give you as detailed a description as I know how to give. Keep in mind, I'm not answering for USSD as a whole, though. Just for my school. At my school, we begin a grappling workout with ten minutes of calisthenics, and five minutes of stretching, to limber up. after that, what we do depends on the night. According to my instructors schedule book the class is supposed to be an hour, but we've never had a grappling class that was that short. Here are the breakdowns, which are a bit of a SWAG (scientific wild-*** guess), based on the grappling classes I've been to:

(15-20 min)Warm up and stretching.

Then it's usually a combination of two of these three:
(25-30 min) transitioning from position to position.
(25-30 min) grappling techniques (arm bars, chokes, etc.)
(25-30 min) grappling, 2-3 minute rounds, switching partners at end of round.

Or 50-65 min of grappling, with the instructor coaching us. most of the students are new to grappling and have little more than a year of martial arts experience, we, at this time, grapple beginning on our knees (remember: I'm SWAGing. That's my guess as far as the reasoning)

What we do depends on who's in the class at the time, and I haven't seen a grappling class even done if more than 6 of us show up. What the instructor teaches varies on who shows up. I can't tell you of any kind of definite arrangent for the grappling class, but that's because I've only been to four grappling classes, so I'm no expert on my instructors methods. Hope this helps, because it's the best I can do.

So far it doesn't seem to differ much from the BJJ I've learned in other studios, and my guess is that it won't, as far as technique goes. I'm sure it will get more in depth as time progresses, and students progress and are ready for stuff like going into grappling from a standing position, but for now I've given the best answer I can give. What I can say with certainty is that even with almost a decade of experience in wrestling, Jujitsu, and Army combatives, the classes are a workout and a learning experience for me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan is a professional, it took me 4 months to get close, when I got in, I tore it up, but he change his style, to push me back out, me and Dan are old, SPEED SPEED SPEED, but have to have power, I broke Dan's ribs, cause he broke my jaw, but I came back.....Royal
You are replying to a thread that hasn't had a post in 13 years.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are replying to a thread that hasn't had a post in 13 years.
I'm actually aiming at finding the oldest possible last post in a thread, and posting, in order to claim the title of "greatest necromancer" or.. "longest delay upon revival".... there's gotta be a better record-title name... XD

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually aiming at finding the oldest possible last post in a thread, and posting, in order to claim the title of "greatest necromancer" or.. "longest delay upon revival".... there's gotta be a better record-title name... XD
Seems like a good use of your time. :p

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You'll get my vote, you sly necromancer, you. :)

Latest Discussions