United Studios of Self Defense (USSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
S

Satori

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm new and I wanted to share my USSD experience.

My struggling single mother scrounged up enough money to enroll me in USSD for my 10th birthday. I was in heaven! I got to wear cool outfits, and when I got good enough, I got to wear a cool black outfit! Woo Hoo!

My instructor was very nice, and some students/assistants there were very good.

4 years later, I was brown 1st (last colored belt). I was all ready to test for black, and studied every day for at least an hour. I was certain that I'd pass the test.

Well...remember the struggling single mother part? Well, the black belt test, at the time, was around $500. Needless to say, we couldn't afford it.

Did my instructor give me a break? Did he try to work with me?

No. I wasn't allowed to test, and had to remain at that rank until I could come up with the money. As an adult, I couldn't care less, but as a 14 year old kid who had worked is **** off...THAT HURT.

8 years later I went to a local USSD to see about taking it up again. The "Chief Instructor" was about my age at the time, and had less experience than me. Still...this didn't stop him from wanting to charge me $225/month and push the 2 year contract.

Also, last year I was hired by a non-profit organization to teach martial arts to low-income children. I wanted my students to have an MA organization to back them, so I called USSD about their "Instructor Certification Program".

Not only did it cost way too much, but they required that I charge my students AT LEAST $100 month (this is MINIMUM, and I'd be making very little money).

Needless to say, I found sponsorship elsewhere, and happily continued charging my students $25/month.

Just my experience with good old USSD.

May you achieve
Satori

OP
S

Satori

I agree, it is startling enough to post twice.

May you achieve
Satori

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup, peple may dis me for being negative about someone who found happiness at a USSD school. But the truth remains. USSD is a crying shame at any price. It is almost criminal at the prices they charge. And anyone who is happy there...well, I won't be sending that person out to buy a used car for me.

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Yup, peple may dis me for being negative about someone who found happiness at a USSD school. But the truth remains. USSD is a crying shame at any price. It is almost criminal at the prices they charge. And anyone who is happy there...well, I won't be sending that person out to buy a used car for me.
i'm suprised to see some people here don't like the way you replied in your previous posts. The truth hurts.! Why can't we accept it like the way it is and move on. If being negative helps another person from stopping being insanity, it's definitely helpfuls.

Sure, the guy and his son are happy at USSD but at the price USSD charges him, i would like to see him and his son spend 20 dollars at fitness center and still get in shape and have fun there. Of course, he and his son will still have plenty of money for a healthy chinese buffet and 2 movies tickets + disneyland tickets for entire family in this summer afterward:) Talk about fun.!

if anybody claims to be happy for paying $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get what they want when they can have another option to achieve their goals with minimum of $$$, it's certainly stupid.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do we say nothing let this poor guy pay thru the nose, beleive that he is learning a martial art. So he will wind up poorer, dissillusioned and willing to tell anyone within earshot KARATE SUCKs.

Much easier this way

OP
O

octopic

Thunderbolt said:
i'm suprised to see some people here don't like the way you replied in your previous posts. The truth hurts.! Why can't we accept it like the way it is and move on. If being negative helps another person from stopping being insanity, it's definitely helpfuls.
Diplomacy -n. - The art of telling someone to go to Hell and having them feel good about it. (with apologies to Caskie Stinett)

Telling someone that they're an idiot isn't particularly helpful. Now, if I wanted to help convince the USSD student about their organization, I might ask them where they're from, find a good instructor in the area, and strongly encourage them to go check them out. Calling someone a moron automatically puts them on the defensive, and you're not going to get through to them. All insulting them does is make you feel good about yourself. Anyway, you can take this advice or leave it, after all, it is just my opinion.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
octopic said:
Diplomacy -n. - The art of telling someone to go to Hell and having them feel good about it. (with apologies to Caskie Stinett)

Telling someone that they're an idiot isn't particularly helpful. Now, if I wanted to help convince the USSD student about their organization, I might ask them where they're from, find a good instructor in the area, and strongly encourage them to go check them out. Calling someone a moron automatically puts them on the defensive, and you're not going to get through to them. All insulting them does is make you feel good about yourself. Anyway, you can take this advice or leave it, after all, it is just my opinion.

Yup. You are right. Insulting someone doesn't pursuade them. And, I wasn't trying to be diplomatic. Clearly, the guy read all the previous posts with real life horror stories and big bold-lettered warnings. Instead of asking why people didn't like USSD, he jumped to its' defense. Clearly diplomacy was failing. What do you do when diplomacy fails? You rattle sabers! How do you rattle sabers on the internet? You insult someone.

I'm not just an a-hole. I'm an a-hole with a college degree and an agenda. :asian:

Reactions: MJS

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hammer said:
While I cant relate to that particular studio being over here in Oz, it cant be as bad as this www.kenpo4kids.com

Cheers
Hammer
OH MY GAWD! They have a full sized tiger mascott named Kenpo Kenny!!! The web site is definately geared for kids. I don't personally know them, nor do I know how they move. The mascott thing seems a little weird to me.

Their choice to call themselves Sensei so-and-so is a little off the mark. I've always been told that the title "Sensei" was applied after your surname, not before it. At least thats what my Japanese friends tell me. Besides, (and I could be wrong here) aren't they teaching American Kenpo?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Yup. You are right. Insulting someone doesn't pursuade them. And, I wasn't trying to be diplomatic. Clearly, the guy read all the previous posts with real life horror stories and big bold-lettered warnings. Instead of asking why people didn't like USSD, he jumped to its' defense. Clearly diplomacy was failing. What do you do when diplomacy fails? You rattle sabers! How do you rattle sabers on the internet? You insult someone.

I'm not just an a-hole. I'm an a-hole with a college degree and an agenda. :asian:
Within the SK camp it is a case of isolation. Conversation beween teacher and student

Teacher "We are the best kenpo, you've ever seen"
Student "May I compete with other styles?"
Teacher "No"
Student "May I attend a seminar with other Kenpo school?"
Teacher "No"
Student "My brother is in town, he too studies a different style of Kenpo. may I work out with him this weekend?"
Teacher "No, under no circumstances"
Student "But why not? I thought we were the best Kenpo I've ever seen?"
Teacher (with a sly grin) "And we're gonna keep it that way"

OP
O

octopic

The Kai said:
Within the SK camp it is a case of isolation. Conversation beween teacher and student

Teacher "We are the best kenpo, you've ever seen"
Student "May I compete with other styles?"
Teacher "No"
Student "May I attend a seminar with other Kenpo school?"
Teacher "No"
Student "My brother is in town, he too studies a different style of Kenpo. may I work out with him this weekend?"
Teacher "No, under no circumstances"
Student "But why not? I thought we were the best Kenpo I've ever seen?"
Teacher (with a sly grin) "And we're gonna keep it that way"
That isn't an attitude that I've seen from any of the SK people that I've worked with. For example, my first SK instructors also had black belts in American Kenpo, and would set up tournaments between our school and their old AK school. One of the principles of SK is that we're completely shameless. We'll steal anything that works from anywhere. That's why you see the combination of techniques from all over the place taught in the system. Now, I'm sure that there are people with the attitude quoted above, but in my opinion, they've lost one of the things that makes the SK style great.

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bill Lear]OH MY GAWD! They have a full sized tiger mascott named Kenpo Kenny!!! The web site is definately geared for kids. I don't personally know them, nor do I know how they move. The mascott thing seems a little weird to me.
www.kenpo4kids.com

Ray,Oh my gosh. What is this world coming to?
Gentlemen, it is not my intendtion to high jack this thread, from its original topic,although I can shed some light on the subject,

Kenpo4 kids.com is the an Embarrassment
It is the junior system of Mr Speakman AKKS, assosiaction here in Australia and where ever else, Headed by Founder Tom Cullen,
rolleyes.gif

The web site is definately geared for kids
True,though it's easier to blindly lead those that would nt know any different!! And the sad thing is they also attempt to teach Adults.

I don't personally know them
While nice enough people, they HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THE ART.WHAT SO EVER.
whip.gif

nor do I know how they move
Mr Lear, It is fortunate that you can't see how they move,as it is sickening to your very core, as so many poor misslead souls are being taken for a ride and releaved of their hard earnt,$$$$

"Its a joke",

I could go on!!!!!, but in the interest of not exposing what KENPO4KIDS or the AKKS is here in AUSTRALIA I will leave it there,

For any further disscussion relating to my post you are welcome to email me.

Cheers
Hammer

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have heard many stories before about this organization including if you do them wrong they will use strong arm tactics (car bombs, etc.) with you. I have a vague knowledge of their leaneage or background. Would someone that knows for a fact enlighten me? An organization or a system without a strong foundation or leaneage has nothing. Professor Chow used to tell me that you can build two homes along side of each other, both looking exactly the same, but on one of them you have only an inch of concrete and the other a foot. Eventually the one that was built on an inch will collapse, while the other will remain true. So it is in the martial arts...train in a system that has no or little foundation and soon it will collapse, either in business on out on the street (which is worse as it could costs you your life).
Grandmaster Kuoha

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
gmkuoha said:
I have heard many stories before about this organization including if you do them wrong they will use strong arm tactics (car bombs, etc.) with you. I have a vague knowledge of their leaneage or background. Would someone that knows for a fact enlighten me? An organization or a system without a strong foundation or leaneage has nothing. Professor Chow used to tell me that you can build two homes along side of each other, both looking exactly the same, but on one of them you have only an inch of concrete and the other a foot. Eventually the one that was built on an inch will collapse, while the other will remain true. So it is in the martial arts...train in a system that has no or little foundation and soon it will collapse, either in business on out on the street (which is worse as it could costs you your life).
Grandmaster Kuoha

Mr. Kuoha: You are correct that a building on a weak foundation will collapse. But perhaps it won't collapse until there is a storm. Unfortunately, large chains that refuse to interact and compete with other schools/arts never have to weather the storm and the students never get to see how inferior their system is.

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
gmkuoha said:
I have a vague knowledge of their leaneage or background. Would someone that knows for a fact enlighten me?
Grandmaster Kuoha
Here is what I know about this organization. The top guy of this organization (CEO) used to be a 7 or 8 degree blackbelt from Fred Villary ( Grandmaster of Shaolin Kempo). For some reasons, he no longer associates with Fred Villary and decided to associate with Nick Cerios.

From what I read, there was a problem between him and Nick Cerios. I guess things didn't work out as expected. Any way, Nick Cerios promoted him to 9 or 10 degree BEFORE *thing* didn't work out.

if you or anybody ever go to his HQ (headquarter), you will see a picture which has 3 persons: Chow, Nick Cerios, and him.

That is something that he wants everybody to believe ,but If you ever go to Fred Villary black belt family tree, you will see his name there.

Btw, thank you for your reminding about their strong arm tactics. I guess they must learn it from terrorist bootcamp in Middle East

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
octopic said:

if you read a thread which you see everybody tells you NOT to go to this school with good reasons and you still go there, there is something wrong. Of course, nobody will ever stop you from doing it if that is your decision.

my point is very simple. If you spend $$$$ at 1 karate school to learn MA, you can tell your instructor to make sure what he teaches you will save you in a conflict situation because if you receive 100000 dollar medical bill or whatever it is, your money is not well-spent. If you complain about it later on, please remember this "WE TOLD YOU SO."

In a right mind person, nobody will spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to learn how to get in shape. Yes, people still do it. I'm not sure if these people are aware that they are still not geting in shape even though they spend a lot of money.

Just look how many work out programs we have in this world. Everybody tells you it will get you in shape. None actually works. The only thing that works is YOU.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thunderbolt said:
my point is very simple. If you spend $$$$ at 1 karate school to learn MA, you can tell your instructor to make sure what he teaches you will save you in a conflict situation because if you receive 100000 dollar medical bill or whatever it is, your money is not well-spent. If you complain about it later on, please remember this "WE TOLD YOU SO."
Even if you learn from the very best, top-notch, highly respected, "non-mcdojo" school for $ or from a backyard dojo for free, you still cannot guarantee that you will be saved in a conflict situation and never get a 100,000 dollar medical bill.

- Ceicei

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is true. But you will never be gouged on prices, surprised with hidden costs, be able to work out with friends, and actually be able to spar without feeling like you are being served up a warm piece of buttered toast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions