Unique things done to test higher ranks?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always thought that that the unknown of testing & the newness of the material alone is enough to stress begining students. However, at 2nd gup & higher, I've found it neccessary to do things that are enough of a change for students to test their focus & ability. Keeping in mind their age level. For example:

1)I've found that simply asking a student to face a different direction when doing a form can be a big challenge for some. 2) Blindfolding the student as they perform a form can also be quite challenging. 3) This weekend, there was a 14 year old aspiring 1st gup who was very talented. I had him perform Tae Guek Pal Jang & had him break a board at the jump front kick at #3 & continue the form. 4) A 14 year old aspiring 1st poom was told to say aloud each technique of Tae Guek IL Jang as he performed each technique in Koryo.

What unique things have you added during tests to challenge students that tested them mentally as well as physically?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At BB level we ask them to do the Poomsae backwards to see if they really know it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Father Greek blindfolds his students and has the Uke attack them...

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The only unique thing I've seen for higher tests (4th Dan and up) is a question and answer session. The judges are allowed to ask each tester any questions they want, and most of them have nothing to do with technique (why do you think you're ready for 4th Dan, what does Master Instructor mean to you, how have you changed since practicing, how do you plan to help the organization etc.).
It's always interesting to hear the responses, because many of them didn't plan on being asked those questions.
But our Grandmaster bases these tests on his own testings in Korea back in the old days. No 500 pushups or running 3 miles for us. Strictly the way it used to be.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The higher you get, the more you design your own testing, choosing things that will both demonstrate your abilities and push your personal limits. Instructors guide their students in such choices, but they are left primarily to the student, especially for IV Dan and up.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not in taekwondo but anyway..After the warmup last week, my instructor called me and another guy into the middle, walked off the mats to stand with the other students and just said 'teach'. We'd had no warning whatsoever and had to come up with some stuff on the spot. That was a bit of a surprise but it actually went quite well. Probably better than if we'd had time to prepare.

KEritano

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At BB level we ask them to do the Poomsae backwards to see if they really know it.

Doing a pattern backwards every now and then is challenging.

For a few of my BB tests, we had to learn them normal, to the right and backwards. I'd guess 75% of our test and training was focused on patterns. Personally, I found this to be an ineffective use of time and energy. Spending so much time on patterns didn't improve my kicking, self-defense or breaking skills.

One thing I did like is developing applications for each technique, that really helped me understand the techniques, transititions and positioning of opponents.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doing a pattern backwards every now and then is challenging.

For a few of my BB tests, we had to learn them normal, to the right and backwards. I'd guess 75% of our test and training was focused on patterns. Personally, I found this to be an ineffective use of time and energy. Spending so much time on patterns didn't improve my kicking, self-defense or breaking skills.

One thing I did like is developing applications for each technique, that really helped me understand the techniques, transititions and positioning of opponents.

Well when you do your pattern do you do them with all the application and explain what is application is for and how it can be used in a real life defense, if so how would that be boring.

KEritano

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well when you do your pattern do you do them with all the application and explain what is application is for and how it can be used in a real life defense, if so how would that be boring.

That I don't find boring, figuring out how to apply the techniques, how the opponents would react and move is very challenging, educational and worthwhile. It helped me understand the purpose of each technique.

What I found to be ineffective is to just perform them in different directions ... to the point where it dominated training and testing. It got to the point where people just memorized the moves without bothering to understand them.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

I really know the English alphabet. Nonetheless, I would be very hard pressed to recite it backwards quickly without mistakes, at least without training for it. Given that analogy, what real good does doing the forms backwards do? Especially since most of ours have a progressive logic that would be invalidated by reversing it.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thing we do, if you want to call it unique is: most 4th Dan and up testings are conducted in private, with just the judges and the person testing. Even the Instructor is not allowed in the room during testing. The doors are closed, and windows covered. There have been public Master testings, but I've also seen entire gymnasiums cleared out so that 4th Dans could test privately.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another thing we do, if you want to call it unique is: most 4th Dan and up testings are conducted in private, with just the judges and the person testing. Even the Instructor is not allowed in the room during testing. The doors are closed, and windows covered. There have been public Master testings, but I've also seen entire gymnasiums cleared out so that 4th Dans could test privately.

What a luxury....I am so not looking forward for my 4th degree, having to parade in front of the real high ranks, at a national tournament, in a big facility.....

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do many of the same things you mentioned Iceman (expect doing one form while speaking out another, I need to try that!).
We also have done forms where one student begins a form and at the instructor's command another student picks up the form exactly where the first student left off. We also play the "numbers game" where the instructor says something like "tae guek chil jang move 6" and then the first student to get to that move gets a point or something like that. We also have a student do a form while the other students have their eyes closed. The blind students then say what form they thought the student was doing, and even what move they stopped on.
As to way to do these things- it gives students a way to practice the "same old stuff" in a new and exciting way. It also gives you more practice with every technique and it is my opinion that if you are performing poomse as they should be done it is going to improve your breaking, sparring, self-defense, etc. You are putting each technique into your muscle memory which is what we should all be striving for.

edit: we don't often do these types of things during tests, but during practice sessions for fun.

Latest Discussions