Uniform question ~ (protocol)

mafriend

White Belt
Reaction score
I think I screwed up - just bought my wife a new uniform for her birthday. Bought it online, just took it out of the box and noticed that it has a black neckline. She takes a tae kwon do class and is a blue belt. Can she wear this or do I have to return for a white neck. Have no clue... TIA

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black collars are for advance and BB only so it probaly is the wrong uniform. Better check with your instructor he may not mind. But proper protocal is only white collars for underbelts.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
really it just depends on the school! Because at my school all my lower belt wear white with black collar and the higher ranks wear solid black gis! Just depends.
icon6.gif

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I am going to go with Terry on this one. The black trim is set aside for black belts and not gup ranks,(White-Red). This is what I have seen from most schools and uniform protocol.

OP
M

mafriend

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks all - will just have to return the gi (sorry, am trying to learn all the right terminology too!)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks all - will just have to return the gi (sorry, am trying to learn all the right terminology too!)

Well, this is a great place to ask questions (in addition to her instructor, of course).

The Korean term for uniform is Doe Bohk (pronounciation). Gi is the Japanese term.

All the best!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It happens all the time - and it does vary from class to class, and more commonly, from association to association. Look on the bright side - you figured it out before you sweated in it!

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Black collars are for advance and BB only so it probaly is the wrong uniform. Better check with your instructor he may not mind. But proper protocal is only white collars for underbelts.

When I took it in Korea, there was no such distinction. Everyone had black collars. Even here, i haven't seen that. I think it may be a thing particular to a school.

Last edited:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Iceman is correct. Since I teach Judo I say Gi to denote my dobok. So I got a lot of friendly razzing from other blackbelts. It was funny, one person asked me when I was putting up a picture of Jigoro Kano, etc.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Iceman is correct. Since I teach Judo I say Gi to denote my dobok. So I got a lot of friendly razzing from other blackbelts. It was funny, one person asked me when I was putting up a picture of Jigoro Kano, etc.

I teach a Korean TKD and we call them Gi's because of some of our japanese heritage, so it really depends on what you or your school likes! I personally like gi over do bok!

Latest Discussions