Quick question about uniforms

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actualy you are speaking with the original British accents as well as using the original English spellings of words. It's us who have changed not the Americans. You should read Bill Brysons works on the English language.

I saw the documentary they had on the History Channel (BBC Channel 4 more than likely across the Pond) Funny thing is the Americans are the only ones who use the spelling that is in place. Every other place that the British have touched use the way that we currently spell.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Another funny story, along a different line, I worked in another city teaching for someone else. He handed out a flier about the uniforms and he called it a GI in the flier. I had always taught the that the term is dobak. This was a town with alot of military, so maybe that explains this, but one of the adults thought we were switching to camouflage uniforms and got a bunch of people in an uproar that they all had to buy new uniforms!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have used Korean terminology since I began practicing at Korean Martial arts. At the time, the sign on the door read, 'Karate/Kendo' but all Korean terms were used. I grew accustomed to using them mainly because it is what everyone else was using. Now I'm just used to it.

I will agree with Youngman that if one is practicing a Korean art that Korean terms are appropriate. While taekwondo has Japanese karate in its background, taekwondo is distinctly Korean, and it is more authentic to use Korean terms. This has no bearing on the effectiveness of the teaching.

I disagree regarding the comment,

I don't buy this "well Taekwondo originally came from karate, therefore it's okay to use Japanese terms." That's malarkey.

Many taekwondo schools are run by westerners and read karate on the marquee. As has been pointed out, use of Japanese terminology in taekwondo was initiated by Koreans coming to the states to start a business, not by Japanocentric westerners.

If the Kukkiwon really wants to differentiate Taekwondo from Japanese Karate systems, they should put their money where their mouth is and get rid of the very Japanese belt system.

Until they do that, they should ditch the lame attempts at coopting the Hwarang and claiming that TKD is four thousand years old. Now that's malarkey.

Daniel

Last edited:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always thought "When in Rome, etc." So when I am teaching Judo I use Japanese. In TKD and HKD I use Korean. Imperialism and National Pride will dictate that the Japanese and Koreans won't get along optimally. However, in art you talk of the different brush strokes for painting and the differences in brush tips.

I don't see why you wouldn't do the same in a martial art.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad they didn't have sound recording devices back in those days. Would have been fascinating. I forgot you are British. Wasn't attacking Britain by the way.

I know you weren't. Bill Bryson is fascinating reading! We do everything in English, this is similiar to the situation the Catholic church had when all it's services were in Latin and the decision was made to allow the services to be held in the language of the country. While you got local understanding you lost that global feeling that using a common language gives.
The problem comes I think, as has been demonstrated on MT a few times, when people pronounce things differently and words take on different meanings and we have misunderstandings. Look at British English and American English lol! How much more so with a language many of us don't know but only use some words out of that we've probably been taught by another non speaker of the language!
Those that are taught by Koreans may be better off but it probably depends on the accent! I get strange looks in the north of France as my accent is from the south of France having learnt French there and it's the equivilant of a country yokels accent according to the posher northern French!