Under what circumstances do you feel it is alright to take another persons life

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright this is a two part question my second is do you think you could live with yourself if you found out the person whos life you have taken had young kids.

I would feel it was an acceptable response (but never all right) to take someone's life if that person was attempting to kill me or someone else (family member, friend, bystander, etc.).

I would regret that the child(ren) would be forced to grieve their lost parent, but no, I was forced to kill someone to protect myself or others, it would not cause additional problems that the person had children, who would otherwise be brought up by a murderer.

The problem with questions such as these is, until such time as one is actually in such a situation, all answers are theoretical; once one is in such a situation, one can only react as seems appropriate at the time, without time to consider factors external to the situation. Could I really react as I stated above? My answer was intellectual; I hope to never find out emotionally.

In defense of your own life and the lives of others.

As for the second part of you question, I know for a fact that I can.

Jeff

Hmm... One of the dreaded questions to be certain....

Well, I don't think that it's a good idea to go around popping people just because you can. In my opinion, one of the things that martial arts is supposed to grant you is the freedom to take life or to give it back. This has to do with being well-trained enough to be able to smile, or laugh, at someone attempting to kill you or your loved ones. For example, through martial arts, a well-trained person, on a good day, may be able to either diffuse the situation, or to guide it to where no loss of life is necessary.

I don't think that killing another person should ever make someone feel warm and fuzzy inside. For me, if I ever had the misfortune of having to endure that, I'd probably have to wonder for the rest of my life if there was anything I could've done to prevent bloodshed and end the situation peacefully. Since I don't consider myself trained, much less well-trained, my current opinion is that sometimes such situations are unavoidable. I would like to think that well-trained martial artists would have gained the ability to avoid such situations altogether.

It'll be interesting to see what the more advanced people here have to say. :)

Fu Bag

PPKO if my family was in danger, I would have no remorse about killing someone.
Part two, I would feel bad for the family and try to help if I could, maybe even set up a trust for those kids. But I would feel no remorse for what I had to do at that moment.
Terry

Kacey said:
I would feel it was an acceptable response (but never all right) to take someone's life if that person was attempting to kill me or someone else (family member, friend, bystander, etc.).

I would regret that the child(ren) would be forced to grieve their lost parent, but no, I was forced to kill someone to protect myself or others, it would not cause additional problems that the person had children, who would otherwise be brought up by a murderer

Good response Kacey...As an LEO there is always a chance that I will have to kill someone..If its a either him or me situation then it will be me that's going home at the end of my shift...

part one: If said person was intent on taking mine or someone elses life then they have placed thamselves in a kill or be killed situation. I could take thier life at that point.

Part two: shudder - I'd hate to find that out, but yes, I could live with it - I'd have to, wouldn't I?

I would kill if it was nessecary to protect my own life or that of others. Having been a sergeant I`ve also taught others to kill and maim in the most efficient way possible. Still, I am not sure how the act of taking a life will affect me since I`ve never had to do so. However I do not think it would matter much if the person had kids or not.

Kacey said:

I would regret that the child(ren) would be forced to grieve their lost parent, but no, I was forced to kill someone to protect myself or others, it would not cause additional problems that the person had children, who would otherwise be brought up by a murderer.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

Take care,

Garth.

ppko said:
Alright this is a two part question my second is do you think you could live with yourself if you found out the person whos life you have taken had young kids.

I didn't tell this person to break into my house in the early AM hours, I didn't tell them to attempt to mug me on my way to my car, I didn't tell them to carjack me, I didn't tell them to attack my wife or family. That being said, people are responsible for their own actions.

IMHO, I think its always best to do as much as possible to get out of the situation without having to resort to physical force. Unfortunately, that will not always happen, so as long as I did what I could to avoid conflict and I was faced with no other options, to answer your question, yes, I believe I could live with myself. Would I feel bad after the fact? Sure, but we can't sit back for the rest of our lives wondering if we've made the right choice. Even if we are not LEOs, our 'job' should be to survive a conflict and come home to our family.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cold-hearted person, I don't walk around looking to start a fight, bully people, etc., but I don't feel that we should have to walk around in fear either.

Mike

ppko said:

I do not know if I would ever feel it "right" to take another life in a one-on-one situation. If I am ever in a situation where it became justified (God forbid), the circumstances of the situation, I hope, would mitigate the tragic loss of life.
If ever I found myself that situation, I don't imagine I would know whether the person had young children before being forced to bring the situation to such a horrible end. That not being known before the act, the fact would not and could not change my decision to take life. That being true, it would not add to any guilt I would carry.
Ultimately however, I always hope the altercation would end before then.

to me never. but then again if you have to then you must. but i dont think it would make it alright. i dont beleiev its ok to end a life

First Part - when my life or the life of those I care about is in jeopardy.
Second Part - unfortunately I know I could do it without question....

I believe its acceptable if my life, or those close to me were threatened.

And if the attacker had kids, I would make it my mission to ensure that his/her kids were highly aware of their relative's bad mental state. But that would be the extent of my guilt...

Agreeing with some others here, I feel that it is never "all right" to take a life. All life is precious (even the misguided), and should be preserved if possible. However, I would not hesitate to respond in a matter which will end a person's life when it becomes necessary, and thus, justifiable.

A colleague of mine in the Executive Protection Industry (and a former Police Officer) often says that you fire your weapon to kill a person, not because you want to kill them, but because you can NOT allow them to continue doing whatever it is they are doing for one moment longer! I view unarmed self defense in the same way.

Ending a life is, in my opinion, regrettable and sad, but I accept this responsibility, act reasonably, and train to be better able to end conflicts without death. However, I would do it, deal with it personally and privately, then move on.

The issue of children is additionally sad, as I am a parent. Even the logical conclusion that it is better for the child to be raised with no parent, than a bad parent is not comforting to a child. As a child, they only want to have their parent, and they hope their misguided parent could be reformed. As a parent, I have sympathy for this, yet I know that an unavoidable (or circumstantial) death can occur in many ways (drunk driving, drug abuse, accident, murder, and as a result of justifiable self defense). I would grieve for the children, but not doubt the necessity of my actions. We learn to accept these things in life, and move on.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Latest Discussions

Back