How comfy do you feel talking to your teacher?

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi all;

I was thinking today about what a fantastic resource of martial arts info and opinion this site is, when i had the startling realisation that most of the questions i have about MA in general, i would feel nearly unable to talk to my teacher about... i would take them here or to other students instead. Is that weird? If i needed to get clarification/correction about a form or application, i can ask my teacher for that alright, but even then it'll only be after trying to nut it out for myself, maybe ask a few senior students etc. I guess it's my opinion that as the class head, his time is precious and i don't want to take up too much of it with stupid questions (you know, the ones you ask and halfway through asking it the answer suddenly becomes glaringly obvious
icon11.gif
).

I guess my question(s) to you all is/are:

Do you feel comfy talking to yr teacher about stuff outside of the stuff you are training right now? Things like philosophy of the arts, personal stuff about yr training goals, general tips for training at home, feedback on how you are doing etc?

Would you consider it impertinant to ask your teacher (or have yr student ask you!) about thier own training regimen, how they structure it, what they find useful etc?

Do you reckon the role of the teacher should be neccacerily somewhat distant from her/his students? Or should it be a more informal r'ship? For the instructors among you, do you ever feel a little regretful if yr students take the respect to the point of timidity? Do you ever wonder about the questions that don't get asked?

Hope these questions aren't too dumb... :asian:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Not dumb at all. I always felt very comfortable talking to my teacher or seniors. Sometimes they would bring up those questions without being asked. However, my people were very cool like that. I've seen some that could care less unless you have their money too. It all depends. It doesn't hurt to ask, and you might start a great network. If the response is cold or unfeeling, then you'll know to move on. They should be interested in your training besides collecting money.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi all;

I was thinking today about what a fantastic resource of martial arts info and opinion this site is, when i had the startling realisation that most of the questions i have about MA in general, i would feel nearly unable to talk to my teacher about... i would take them here or to other students instead. Is that weird? If i needed to get clarification/correction about a form or application, i can ask my teacher for that alright, but even then it'll only be after trying to nut it out for myself, maybe ask a few senior students etc. I guess it's my opinion that as the class head, his time is precious and i don't want to take up too much of it with stupid questions (you know, the ones you ask and halfway through asking it the answer suddenly becomes glaringly obvious
icon11.gif
).

Your teacher should be there to share what he knows with his students, and sometimes you need to verbalize things in order for them to become "glaringly obvious"

Do you feel comfy talking to yr teacher about stuff outside of the stuff you are training right now? Things like philosophy of the arts, personal stuff about yr training goals, general tips for training at home, feedback on how you are doing etc?

I've always felt comfortable asking my teachers questions, it often leads to a lesson for the rest of the class, on things that they may have wanted to know but didn't want to ask, and it let me understand the how's and why's of what I was being asked to do.

Would you consider it impertinant to ask your teacher (or have yr student ask you!) about thier own training regimen, how they structure it, what they find useful etc?

If a question is important to you, then it's an important question and should be asked, and answered.

Do you reckon the role of the teacher should be neccacerily somewhat distant from her/his students? Or should it be a more informal r'ship? For the instructors among you, do you ever feel a little regretful if yr students take the respect to the point of timidity? Do you ever wonder about the questions that don't get asked?

Questions make a teacher a better teacher, you'd be amazed at how much you learn when you start to teach, and how valuable questions are to your growth. If a teacher is inaccessable or distant, then I don't believe he can do his job effectively.

Not at all, they are very good questions, and obviously important to you. Keep asking questions, it's an opportunity to grow, for you and the person you're asking.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all;

icon11.gif
).

No, these questions are not dumb at all. :) I've always felt comfortable talking to my instructors. Throughout my years training, I've always developed a personal relationship outside from the school, so yes, questions that you mention above have been asked, and I've always received an answer. :) I've shared many great times with many of them, such as cook outs, getting something to eat after class, etc. Good times!!:ultracool

Mike

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of the hardest things for me to learn when I first started MA was the "chain of command" concept. My first do jang was very traditional and protocol was very important. (whereas my personal background was very liberal and protocol-less other then basic manners) Though Sah Bum Nimh was very personable and friendly, it was much more effective to ask questions of the senior students in the class or the class instructor, rather then SBN. This was especially true of non-technique issues such as protocol and "soft subjects" (i.e. I feel that I have been slighted by this person, how should I be taking this?). Over the years I have become very close with SBN, but the realationship between SBN and black belt is different then SBN and a color belt. As a person new to MA, this was hard for me to understand, but now (12 years later) I see the wisdom of protocol and patience in all things, include questions and relationships.

OP
qi-tah

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One of the hardest things for me to learn when I first started MA was the "chain of command" concept. My first do jang was very traditional and protocol was very important. (whereas my personal background was very liberal and protocol-less other then basic manners) Though Sah Bum Nimh was very personable and friendly, it was much more effective to ask questions of the senior students in the class or the class instructor, rather then SBN. This was especially true of non-technique issues such as protocol and "soft subjects" (i.e. I feel that I have been slighted by this person, how should I be taking this?). Over the years I have become very close with SBN, but the realationship between SBN and black belt is different then SBN and a color belt. As a person new to MA, this was hard for me to understand, but now (12 years later) I see the wisdom of protocol and patience in all things, include questions and relationships.

That's kind of been my experience too. It's a freindly school and my teacher is quite open, but there is always a bit of reserve in there too which checks me when my mouth starts gearing up to nibble on my size 6's etc. Not always a bad thing...
icon12.gif
Part of me feels like i haven't been there for long enough to start asking the questions i would like (it's only been 2 yrs), but then i'm just not sure if i'm correct in that reading or if i'm just making excuses for my terminal social shyness...

Patience... ah yes...

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My problem was the opposite of shy-ness, it was speaking without thinking....I was munching on those shoes quite often. My school was quite large so there were many 2nd and 3rd dans that I could talk with about things. Eventually the school started a "mentoring" program where each student had a mentor whose role was to answer any and all questions.....and to offer advice and assistance with training, protocol, etc. This worked out very well for many of the students. .

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Myself I feel I can talk to and ask my Instructor anything. With in martial arts or out side of martial arts. He is very calm in what he does and how he take things. that is something I know will sink into me some day just by training with him. I have change a ton in the many years I have trained with him. I respect him in many ways. My teacher ( John Evans )
To me is one of the best Instructors in the east Coast area. I have trained in many places in the USA. ( workshops, seminars, tournaments ETC. ) He is 100 % ego free and a true master In Martial Arts.
My 2 cents.
kosho

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me it's very important to have an instructor who is approachable. It's one of the things I look for in a school. If the instructor isn't approachable, either because he keeps his distance, or there's a chain of command, then I don't want to be a part of that. I want an instructor I can talk to and share my journey with. For me that's part of the experience. If I cannot do that then I feel like I'm not fully learning and growing. :asian:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now, I feel comfortable asking my instructor anything. Even at times questioning techniques, moves, and forms.

Personnally, at the schools I've practiced at in the states (this also carries over to here), I have always asked my questions to the most reliable source. In most instances a senior student will do, at times, the instructor is the best choice. I try not to bother the senior instructor with questions that other students can answer easily. I am very into the whole chain of command thing, being into the military and all.

But, I am also used to speakly with people who outrank me by a lot on a regular basis, so I tend to not be intimidated by rank.

In the end....and I know that this is not 100% in line with all martial arts beliefs....I feel that I am paying for a service. In the end, it comes down to that. The teacher is making a living. I am paying for that service. If I have a question, I will feel free to ask him, because in the end, it is my money that is going towards allowing him to run his school.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Talking to my Sensei is not really a problem, the problem is in my mind. I am afraid that asking some question might be interpreted as me not trusting the art or other times not trusting him, which is 10000% not true.

On the other hand asking question here I can get a point of view from people who practice other styles, thus it offers more food to my brain to chew on.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
qi-tah, I'm sure that you're not the only one with that problem... ;)

Well, before I ask him a question, I'm always feeling nervous etc. but he's very friendly, so it isn't that he's unapproachable... But no-one ever asks him questions about anything apart from the current lesson, so it's a little bit awkward. You know, when you see other persons asking questions, it's not that difficult to do it yourself, too, but when no-one is doing it...

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well he called me while I was at work yesterday about something funny he found on the net, I'd say pretty damn comfy. I regularly discuss things we did in training with him afterwards, and if there's something I don't agree with it, or doesn't make sense to me, I'll debate it with him till Im given a reason that makes sense to me. And so far he's always been able to provide one.
We're pretty much good friends at this point.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a school owner, I have my instructor's direct phoneline & instructions to "call anytime". He really is a kind & helpful person. But, I still don't call very often. I try to find the answers I need further down the chain of command. My instructor has asked that we call monthly to update him on how things are going. So, while I'm not pestering him with questions, I still connect with him monthly. It's a good system, but I'm still not terribly comfortable "just talking" to him.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had three main instructors in three arts. The first was the best--most approachable, no cliques or favorites in the dojang, and he would gladly demonstrate the effectiveness of any technique (if I was willing to take the tumble :)). Stayed four years, till bad knees did me in.

Second instructor--black belt who'd never been in a street fight. So I had three to four dozen times the experience as he did. What's to ask? Stuck it out five and a half years, then moved on.

Third instructor--awesome MAist, a true Grand Master as a practitioner and a good teacher, too. But very much had his favorites. And I wasn't a cute young woman or shiny-eyed nooB, so didn't fall inside the inner circle of worshippers. So, no, didn't ask him much; also didn't get promoted much. Learned a lot for a few years, then moved on.

Currently, my 'instructors' are my students and our classes; carefully selected tapes and books (no, you can't learn from scratch with them, but after almost 15 years of dojang/dojo experience, shame on me if I can't break down a tape or book); and you all. One reason I committed to Gold Key membership was because of what this community has done for me. And I can ask anything, and there will be someone (usually a lot of someones) who knows the answer, or at least where to look. :asian:

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of all the teachers I've had, only one of them has imposed any kind of pseudo-cultural teacher/student division when it came to asking or answering questions.

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Right now, I feel comfortable but I try not to bother the senior instructor with questions that other students can answer easily. I am very into the whole chain of command thing, being into the military and all.

But, I am also used to speakly with people who outrank me by a lot on a regular basis, so I tend to not be intimidated by rank.

I agree 100%. The issue for me was with total ignorance of the chain of command. Didn't always know in the beginning what was perstering and what was not. When it came to Technique, applications, history,etc there was never a question.

There is a fine line between successful business practices and maintaining the Tradition of Martial Arts. Some are better at it then others.

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Right now, I feel comfortable asking my instructor anything. Even at times questioning techniques, moves, and forms.

Personnally, at the schools I've practiced at in the states (this also carries over to here), I have always asked my questions to the most reliable source. In most instances a senior student will do, at times, the instructor is the best choice. I try not to bother the senior instructor with questions that other students can answer easily. I am very into the whole chain of command thing, being into the military and all.

In the end....and I know that this is not 100% in line with all martial arts beliefs....I feel that I am paying for a service. In the end, it comes down to that. The teacher is making a living. I am paying for that service. If I have a question, I will feel free to ask him, because in the end, it is my money that is going towards allowing him to run his school.

I agree 100% with you. For those who have had no experience with a "chain of command" approach to life or those who ask a question but really don't listen to the answer, this is one of the great lessons we can learn from martial arts.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For things related in any fashion to TKD, yes, I ask my sahbum anything - and he either tells me, gives me hints on how to figure it out myself (some things are best understood that way), or tells me he doesn't know - then he tells me when he finds out.

For things outside TKD - it depends. I've been with the same sahbum for 20 years, so that's somewhat different than many people today, but there are things that just aren't relevant to TKD that I go to people outside TKD with - but I don't think that's what you were asking about anyway.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel easy asking my teacher anything, he has a good relationship with all his students and we always hang around at the end of a class, or before a class to chat about either class stuff or anything else that comes up.
He's not above asking us for help or info with stuff too, for instance I'm helping him sort out his iPod at the moment and we sometimes talk about MT.

I don't really have a problem with a "chain of command" thing even though I've never really been in a structured environment like the military, but I don't have a problem talking to anyone, we're all human with feelings and egos, I've yet to meet someone that's intimidated me by either rank or status, and to be honest I don't think it'll happen.