Ultimate Fighter Reality Show

Having 2 rounds is probably safer. You have to remember, these guys are training hard-core (with no training cycle like a real fighter would have) and they may have to fight on two consecutive weeks.

They probably want good fights but having that extra round increases the chances someone could get injured bad, win or lose. I don't think it could hurt though.

And I watched the WWE before TUF, and those guys can never complain about lay and pray. Those WWE guys take like 10 minutes to get up off the ground after they are knocked down.

Well, at least there was more action and continuous movement throughout the two rounds. I do think that it should have gone to a third round, but it's in the judges' hands. Scoring is always so subjective. I think we all can say that points have been given, or not given, under the same pretenses. Anyways, Stephan got the win. A third round would have been really helpful...

As for a returning fighter, I don't get it. If you lose, you're out. Why is one coming back? Anybody can beat anybody on any given day. Just because one has more experience doesn't mean one will win everytime. Anything can happen...

I guess we'll see next week. :supcool:

IF it is lebmen I will be pissed! No one should be coming back...Lebmen is a quest trainee...this would be showing special treatment toward him...NO ONE SHOULD BE COMING BACK...its not right.

i think they are bringing someone back because nat wont be able to fight. so they need to replace him. but i dont think its fair to bring back someone who lost already.

The rumor, take with a grain of salt because it's just a rumor, is that Randy and Nate get to pick Nate's replacement because of his ankle. So if that's the case they will pick Leben of course. Personally I think it should be a new fighter, someone who was not on the show before.

I never thought of that. I was wondering why they would bring someone back who was cut/lost, but that makes sense. I agree though, it should not be someone who lost. It should be a new fighter, or someone who was cut and did not get a chance to lose in the cage.

On a semi-related note. I can understand why they want to keep the teams even for the sake of the challenges. But I don't remember who said that most of the time you get rewarded for winning, but here because you are on a winning team you get sent to the losing side and that sucks; but he was right. Can you imigane if you were on that winning team and flying high, feeling unstopable, and then you are forced to go to the losing team, because you are winning so much. If a team has more guys than the other team, they can have a guy or two sit out the challenges so the challenge is even, and have the team with the fewer guys pick who they compete in the challenge against. I don't like the shuffling around, even though I can see why they are doing it. They could do it Survivor style when the teams get smaller Merge them all into 2 teams. The Middleweights and the Light Heavy's and now it is every man for himself. Chuck and Randy would each get time working with each group. That's the way I would have liked to have seen this done. But then again, I am not a multi-million dollar show producer either.

Moving around the fighters is actually a good idea. It keep things honest between the fighters, knowing full well one of 'em may go to the team they'd just been talking ***** to the day before. Also, the oppourtunity to train with BOTH Chuck Liddel and Randy Couture would be something I'd look forward to.

Can you imigane if you were on that winning team and flying high, feeling unstopable, and then you are forced to go to the losing team, because you are winning so much.

If the team was winning because of you then going to the 'losing' team could make them the 'winning' team.

If the team was winning in spite of you then, well...you deserve it :)

I hope they don't bring back someone that lost because Quarry got hurt and can't fight. If he can't go he should be eliminated and that's it.
If you can't make weight you'd go home and no one would take your place. If they are bringing back a fighter that lost, the only one that makes a LITTLE
sense is Southworth, that was the only fight that had some controversy. Liddell, White and even Couture thought the fight should have gone to a third round.

The reality of UF is that it is not so UF! I do not need to watch it do know this. I think that it is over-hyped. Plus, can one be considered a true martial artists to particpate and spectate this event?

47MartialMan said:
The reality of UF is that it is not so UF! I do not need to watch it do know this. I think that it is over-hyped. Plus, can one be considered a true martial artists to particpate and spectate this event?
'Cause in the street, we hit dirt just 'cause it looks mean, and tickle eachother with electroshocks and ram eachother with cars to prove we are men.

Or something like that.

Marginal said:
'Cause in the street, we hit dirt just 'cause it looks mean, and tickle eachother with electroshocks and ram eachother with cars to prove we are men.

Or something like that.
A little more clarification.......

If it's not Ultimate Fighting, why don't you challenge Chuck Liddell to a street brawl? I know, I know, you're a martial artist and would never stoop that low. But seriously, if you won't prove your skills, how do you know they are skills?

What is the point you ask ? Are fighters still martial artists ?

The point is that the octagon is a proving ground. For your art, for your gym and most of all, for yourself. The emphasis for almost all fighters is to compete and see if they can't overcome their fears and limtations to win and achieve glory, fame and money even. Many idiots and 'tards make try to make the UFC into a bloodbath massacre like it was a gladiatorial match from Ancient Rome. This is not how things are intended to be. It was once a spectacle and now it is a true and legitimate sporting event. Are football players not athletes simply because they tackle, smash and knock down their oppoenents ?

Fighters are still martial artists. I'm sick of this antiquated Karate Kid 'Martial Arts should never be used for sports' mentality. Wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxing, Kempo, Vale Tudo, Pankration, Sambo...all of these disciplines are martial arts and fighters train in many of them. Fighters are both martial artists and athletes.

I don't know exactly what you are saying, but I think you are saying that Ultimate Fighting is not "real" fighting. In a sense that is true, but the modern UFC is not the same as when it first came to be. In the early 90's they pit style vs. style to see who would come out on top. The only major rules were no eye gouging and no biting, most of these fights were pretty brutal. It basically was a street fight in a cage with a reff. Now it has evolved into a sport, just like boxing and kickboxing, but now there is grappling involved. It still has the name Ultimate Fighting championships because that is the name that most people know, But there are other organizations like Pride out there that are pretty much the same thing. No, one is objecting to the fact that these are no longer street fights, and there are rules. These rules keep the fighters from getting seriously hurt or killed. If you want to see "ultimate fighting" go out and rent UFC 1 thru 4. If you want to see world class athletes compete in the best fighting events of modern times, go watch a UFC or Pride fight. In my opinion MMA is a cut above Boxing and Kickboxing, because you have the freedom to not only strike, but grapple. And you have to be able to do both in order to succeed. If you are only a striker, you will be submitted, and vice versa. Also you said you do not have to watch one in order to know. How can you base your opinion on something you have not seen?

and as a side note, these fighters are probably the most well rounded Martial Artists out there. So yes they are true martial artist to participate in these events. Most train several hours a day in boxing, BJJ, Muai Thai.

RSJ said:
What is the point you ask ? Are fighters still martial artists ?

The point is that the octagon is a proving ground. For your art, for your gym and most of all, for yourself. The emphasis for almost all fighters is to compete and see if they can't overcome their fears and limtations to win and achieve glory, fame and money even. Many idiots and 'tards make try to make the UFC into a bloodbath massacre like it was a gladiatorial match from Ancient Rome. This is not how things are intended to be. It was once a spectacle and now it is a true and legitimate sporting event. Are football players not athletes simply because they tackle, smash and knock down their oppoenents ?

Fighters are still martial artists. I'm sick of this antiquated Karate Kid 'Martial Arts should never be used for sports' mentality. Wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxing, Kempo, Vale Tudo, Pankration, Sambo...all of these disciplines are martial arts and fighters train in many of them. Fighters are both martial artists and athletes.

Well said.................

I agree, competition fighters are still martial artists. Yes, those fighters are tough. Yes, it is a contact event. I am saying that it is not really UF.

47MartialMan said:
So is this the reason we train-to prove our skills? to show them in such a spectative way?

Not all roads off the beaten path are dead-ends.

Latest Discussions

Back