Trouble explaining the lifestyle to friends and fam?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most people don't care. I get asked every now and then by coworkers and friends (not close friends). I used to tell people all about it when they asked until I realized everyone got bored after about 15 seconds. So now I just tell them I hate cardio machines, so I do karate instead. They all give me the look like "that makes sense" and it's over with. Or if I'm in a clown mood, I'll tell them I like getting beat up and trying to beat other people up without getting arrested. That ends the conversation pretty quickly.

People who I know actually value what I have to say get a different answer. Such as when I was driving my mother to an appointment 2.5 hours away. She started the conversation out of no where...

Mom: Why do you like karate so much?

Me: I like beating people up and getting beat up

Mom: Why can't you give me a straight answer?

Me: Ok. It's the only place I can go and the outside world ceases to exist. I don't have time to think about your kidney transplant when someone's trying to punch me in the stomach. I don't think about the kids not listening to me when someone's trying to kick me in the head.

Mom: nods her head and starts to get it

Me: And just as importantly, it's about outdoing myself. I see things that I think I can't possibly do, and work hard to do them. I learn something new and think it's really difficult. A few months later, I ask myself why I thought it was so difficult. It's all about exceeding my own expectations.

Mom: That makes sense.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
God, I so love this place. ;)

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ppl at work think I'm insane and are afraid of me.

Same.

I have told very few people.

Honestly I am already a big guy, telling people I do a form of MMA - in a regular office setting - or on the street waiting for the bus with my kids and neighbors - does not help make people comfortable.

Neither do some understand why a guy my age would do this.

I remember once one of the younger female staff brought a pair of gloves to work in her bag, I saw them and said "oh you box! what type of mouth guard do use ? I need a new one " she looked at me horrified and said she takes a fitness class, no one hits her.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's a question. Have you ever had any trouble explaining your study of the martial arts to friends and family? Have they ever misunderstood why you do it? Have you ever heard them either assume it's all about violence or merely a niche hobby?
Not really. My friends all know that I train in Taekwondo and most of them have trained with me. At best, the ones that haven't will occasionally ask how the school is going, but that's about it.

Jedmus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't tend to get asked about it really and if I do, people only really ask how long I've been training. Everyone at work knows as we have to say something "interesting" about ourselves when we start. My co-worker is a 3rd Dan in Karate so whenever we go into meetings we get jokey comments of "there go the ninjas again" aha

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
most of my close friends are black belts. so we all relate to each other and can talk about it. you should have seen my wedding, more black belts there than any school around. but sadly as time passes things change.

and i practice my 1980's ninja moves in the back yard, that way no one can see me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very few of my friends and family ask about it or talk about it. My brother and I talk about it a bit, but he's been in martial arts a fair amount, too (about half as much as I have) and holds rank in TKD. So he gets it.
@yak sao Did you actually dislike something in this, or just a mis-click?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then there's the other side of the coin - when you've trained a long time, everybody knows. You've trained kids, their dads, their grand dads, their favorite uncles. They tend to discount everything else about you and you become "that Martial Arts guy". And because you've trained so many people, many of whom have told stories over beers, everybody thinks you're ten times better than you ever actually were, or ever will be.

But you can get away with practicing in the yard, or anywhere else for that matter. Even if you ain't praticing for real, but just doing Master Ken stuff.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By chance, half my friends are martial artists of varying styles. When we get together it will come up briefly, and then we'll continue with whatever else we were getting together for. With my friends who don't train, they are all aware that I practice, that I have times where I will be practicing obsessively and they may not see me, but in day to day conversation it doesn't come up.